X3 Chassis on order

Chief409

Sean O'Neil told me once "Nothing is bullet proof". Well, that includes chassis. At Buttercup I hit something buried in the sand, while doing somewhere around 60, first with the inside of the left front wheel, then with the left rear, hard enough to bend a Kraken SS pin inside a Phatdad arm. Replaced the left tie rod, the rod ends were punched in to the balls, replaced the rear pin. Surprisingly the stock front arms and plastic, and servo saver (and servo) except the left hub (too much play) survived with no damage. A friend wanted to see the buggy so I stopped by. First thing he said was "chassis is broken". WTF. Sure enough, right through the screw holes at the rear front suspension mount. When I dropped it on the ground the front bent up and the edge of the skid plate caught the break.

My observation is "Might not be bullet proof, but buy parts that the builder has a warranty on".

Got a X3 chassis coming in from DDM. Don't know if I'll ever need the warranty, sure hope not! :)

banshee

Lifetime warranty is key... gives you peace of mind knowing that if parts ever break that are covered, your not out any money. Kraken arms and chassis... love them

Baja Guy

Chassis on the right broken on road. 1st day i took the 5sc for spin and got wedged under my parked car tire :eek:

Chassis on the left broken off road.
Hit a tree head on! End of story.. :D
Yeah i know driving skills suck, lol but im alot better now. :p

Keep us updated on the durability of the the new chassis. I may get one depending on your review..

Thanks!

Chief409

Limited Warranty. Three turn in's. Reasonable with the use they'll get and worth the extra price. Save the purchase receipt. Checked around, even with my overpower engine I think I'll be happy!

The one on the right looks like mine.

Hate breaking something every other time I run. And this is taking money (and parts) from the winter build, a Kraken Class 1 5b SS build. THAT WON'T be a "Balls Out" build. It'll have all the same parts, except the engine. That will be a Prostock instead of Full Mod. Need something sane to bash with! :)

Last edited:

Baja5bOBR

I bought the X2 after seeing some youtube vid of 1 been dropped from a window, the X2 lasted just less than a year.
It got snapped where every other chassis gets snappped, but tuck a 51mph speed run to do it.
Kraken replaced it with a X3 these are abit more expensive that the X2, but when you think of the price of stock it's a no brainer. The X2 (no longer made) only cost 10-15£ more than stock if I remember right, but the stock chassis broke on a low speed roll.

TheSpike

I'm also just waiting for one of my stock A-arms or the chassis to break, then I will upgrade to the Kraken parts.
If a manufacturer is so convinced of his product to give a lifetime warranty, then I'm convinced as well ;)

Chief409

I just received the X3 chassis today. I'm impressed! So was my bud at the LHS who has a 5b SS. As soon as I finish a couple of other projects, the rebuild of the OBR Custom 5b will get underway.

Not much hurry anyway. Looks like for the first time in 3 years we're gonna have a real winter here in California!