West Australian Large Scale Offroad Association. (W.A.L.S.O.A)

Trekrider

On a side note, regarding the rocla quarry, aka the baldivis sand pit. I was talking to some of our reps and managers about getting permission from the owners of the quarry to let us set up a temporary race track in the pit.
They said that having something set up in the pit on a permanent or temporary basis for public/private use is a no no. Has to do with mines and quarry regulations and public safety etc.
When we use the pit for a bash we are technically tresspassing on private property,( rocla quarry ltd), if we were asked to leave the area during a bash session we would have to leave. It's the risk we take when we use the pit.
So we can scratch the pit out for a club track area.........................it's still an awesome bash spot though.
You don't surprise me with this - companies have to take HSE and public liability very seriously these days.

When I saw the suggestion that Rocla be contacted I thought that would spell the end of us using it altogether.

At the moment we can claim we don't know we shouldn't be using it and from Rocla's point of view, even if they know people use it, they can also claim ignorance. Not that this would help them in a court - they would be liable in the event of an accident, especially as they leave the gate open. If they were formally asked for permission and said no (as we expect) then it would be on record and they would probably lock the gates to prevent access.

Sorry to be negative and not offer any alternatives at the moment.

neilrich

You don't surprise me with this - companies have to take HSE and public liability very seriously these days.

When I saw the suggestion that Rocla be contacted I thought that would spell the end of us using it altogether.

At the moment we can claim we don't know we shouldn't be using it and from Rocla's point of view, even if they know people use it, they can also claim ignorance. Not that this would help them in a court - they would be liable in the event of an accident, especially as they leave the gate open. If they were formally asked for permission and said no (as we expect) then it would be on record and they would probably lock the gates to prevent access.

Sorry to be negative and not offer any alternatives at the moment.
That's one of the reasons why i haven't contacted Rocla and asked at my work first. We have dealt with Rocla before and i know which guys at my work to talk to .
I didn't want to screw it up completely and loose access to the pit by jumping the gun and letting rocla know that we do occassionally use the pit.
I had a fear that Rocla might lock up the pit if they knew what goes on in the pit eg: dirt bikes, quad bikes, bajas, hoons in 4wds cutting up the pit etc.

feral five B

i suspect that the guys in bullsbrook and baldivis(private land owners inviting the hobby to there race tracks)may have realised there liability if something untoward was to happen to somone/something, there lack of public liability insurance and the costs involved.... i dont know this for sure, but it is something i would look into before i invited a bunch of guys to race/bash on my property.............i think it falls inline with trekriders thoughts however

Last edited:

Goose

the ovals are abandoned, all the clubs that used them have moved up to the lark hill sport complex.
If your dad still works for the council, get him to ask them again and tell them the size of the cars we will be running. There was a 1/8 track at the soccer club once.

Goose

I would start with this

W.A.L.S.O.A.
West Australian Scale Offroad Asscociation.

Honourable Minister Terry Waldron
Level 9 West
Dumas House
2 Havelock Street
West Perth 6005

Dear Honorable Minister.

Please let me first explain who we are and what we do. We are a group of model car enthusiasts who specialize in 1/5th scale petrol operated remote control cars. These model cars are very expensive to purchase and maintain they also require due diligence by the operator to maintain a safe environment to users and spectators alike. Unfortunately with the massive growth of urban development in the metropolitan area we are finding it extremely difficult to operate our models cars where it has no effect on the main populace of the metro area. In the past we have run our models on playing fields, sand pits and development sites only to find that we are making to much noise or running the gauntlet of being prosecuted by land owners etc. There is no way we wish to be known as rouges or anything of the sort. As you can appreciate the participation of remote control cars, helicopters and planes is growing on a daily basis and it’s only a matter of time before all model users are shut out. At present many local councils are banning the use of any form of remote control model users and we can appreciate the reasons, such as liability issues, noise pollution and so on.
Mr Minister, we would like very much if we could make an appointment with your good self to discuss what options are available, and perhaps put forward a proposal to you so that a long term favorable outcome may come to fruition.
Mr Minister as would be aware the hobby of remote control usage is not limited to a few people many, many families participate and it is a healthy day out for kids and parents alike, this is a far better option than kids spray painting buildings and getting into all sorts of strife.

Looking forward in hearing from you very soon

Best regards

name

W.A.L.S.O.A
Enter contact details
Send it in mate, what have we got to loose.......

Mr Sexy

If your dad still works for the council, get him to ask them again and tell them the size of the cars we will be running. There was a 1/8 track at the soccer club once.
i will get him to ask but one of the agreements before when we first asked was to keep it small and on the low down. it depends what W.A.L.S.O.A wants as a track, if you want a full blown club rooms and pit area etc i think some one should send them an email or letter. just replace minister to mayor or some thing similar in the above letter and send it to the Rocko council.

There are also other parts of Rockingham if we could get approval would be good. i think theres a reasonable part of land where the dump used to be wright between the golf driving range and bmx track.

Maybe we should start a partition but make it open also to all 1/8 scale rc's so then there will be more call for a track. i think there is alot call for track down around the Rock area because the nearest one is in like Osborn park or some where around there.

Last edited:

brewer01

Hi guys been reading mr sexy posts, looked at those oval on google maps, it looks pretty good area, even has a car park. you get many sponsors as the area has many businesses around But will all depend on council. Just thought you take a look.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Rockingham+Golf+Driving+Range,+Rockingham,+Western+Australia&sll=-32.284502,115.732706&sspn=0.012626,0.027874&ie=UTF8&hq=Rockingham+Golf+Driving+Range,&hnear=Rockingham+Western+Australia&ll=-32.277781,115.755274&spn=0.003061,0.006968&t=h&z=18

wild.one

Hi guys been reading mr sexy posts, looked at those oval on google maps, it looks pretty good area, even has a car park. you get many sponsors as the area has many businesses around But will all depend on council. Just thought you take a look.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Rockingham+Golf+Driving+Range,+Rockingham,+Western+Australia&sll=-32.284502,115.732706&sspn=0.012626,0.027874&ie=UTF8&hq=Rockingham+Golf+Driving+Range,&hnear=Rockingham+Western+Australia&ll=-32.277781,115.755274&spn=0.003061,0.006968&t=h&z=18
hi guys jezza here there are to many house around and the noise will piss them off

WaTToAU

ok, just so everyone knows, ive setup a new gallery at http://gallery.walsoa.org/

make an account and you can upload pics, all pictures have to be approved and please try and keep the resolution below 2000px or the thumbnail script has a hernia!!!

we already have a heap of photos on there but i want more, upload your baja's, bajamania pics, and bash pics and lets get a solid gallery going

klh mx10

Hey guys is it just me or is it near impossible to log onto the WALSOA website now!!!!!

That #*#*#*#*ing anti spam thing on there now when you log in i just can't get past it!! Takes several attempts and just doesn't work and then finally lets me in and i'm typing everything in correct everytime - but tonight 10 goes and can't log in, sucks ass.....