Unfair advantage?

stsguy

imo edm is the cheapest way to start a class and a motor cap is a thought..... ill build both, open run watcha brung, and a class limited to cc and bodies. as far as sprint, if we are going to do it lets do it right and get a good frame to add parts to with a soild rear axle setup grooved tyres the lot! are am i wrong?... in our group there is enuff of us willing to build frames at cost so we can start a wing class I DONT CARE I JUST WANT TO RACE! I love the sport and will help anyone any way i can. And others will too. at our last race when my car took a dump everyone put off tweaking there cars and worked on mine so i could race..It was a great moment for me.. It is about winning but you cant really win if you are the only one racing.......So many people invest time and money in this sport so we should aleast bring friends to the races so they may too catch the bug....

wgatzke

Think when there is talk about sprint vs the edm which sprint are we talking about are we talking about 1/4 sprint or a 1/5 sprint conversion? It is about what you prefer to run. If you don't enjoy the class it loses the fun factor quick. Not sure why we have to talk about which one is faster it goes back to like cars running together. If a person decides that they want to run something no one else is running just be different that is not it right. What good does it do to get I to running the big cars and no one has matching cars. Interested to know when hostile comes to Iowa will everyone be running what they bring or will they have set classes? Haven't ran Largescale national but have run 1/10 national and it was like cars together. Guess that is why I don't run a lot of races because everyone has their own ideal about what they want to run. I run edm that's it if there isn't any where there is a race we stay home. Just my opinion

rednec_d

Late model and modified should run together if the car count is an issue. Sprints should just run together regardless of who built them. No hair splitting just racing. In all honesty you should run what is local so you can enjoy. I wanted just my sprint car but went with a modified on my backup car so I could run. Guess what though bringing my sprint and running in between events and during warm ups peeked interest. We have 4 sprints this year from just me last year. Then if the deadend guys show I hear we have 9 total.

Ronco5

Really nice to hear guys having a good debate about oval racing. Watching the growth and competition through out the country is encouraging. Glad to be apart of it. I am going to try to make a few more events this year and I can't wait to see what the season brings.

wfw94

So i'am under the impression that you have not seen my sprint car kit with the ronco body. I own deadend raceway and I'am that sure that my sprint car will beat the modified that if I lose I will give you a sprint car kit. if you lose you give me your car six lap race. I also have a modified and a latemodel the sprint car is faster watch the videos. Been testing them for two year with all different motors tires and setups.
So you are going to put up a kit against a 5000.00 dollar EDM, thats generous. We need to meet at a track somewhere in the middle, we would love some good competition. Sounds like you have a good thing going with the track, wish we were closer to the action. Here's a pic of the fastest bodies on the planet (LOL).

Last edited:

stsguy

Wayne you hit good points, the question in this matter is,do you wanna race for fun or race to compete.... And we all have to remember this can be a VERY expensive sport. Here is my thought, the more affordable it is for a guy to get on the track the more we will have join us ... in therory.... and with a rash of trash clones hitting the market cheap used sales should increase. Oval racing has always been won in the turns *IMO* and a good driver with a stock motor can win a race against a "pro-stock" upgrade. So run what cha' brung has not really been a big issue at our track anyway.But a "lets say" having a edm class or edm style body and some type of cc cap or mod cap since a 38cc obp monster is now on the market.. might be a idea to kick around. Truth is if it looks more organized it will be more appalling to new comers. and there is also the point of open wheel cars runnig next to full body, a full body can drive like a nut where open wheel needs to be more aware of tire bumps..... You can never please everyone sad to say but if we can increase the racer pool first! then we can start building other classes from within. I would love a sprint class hell i wish i could afford 2 of that beast Wayne has it would be fun to race. But like i said before, I will do what ever it takes to help us grow. I have got little feed back on a on-road oval class but i was just thinking if tossing on slicks and hitting a velodome... just 1 more place to run my car..I say all this just to watch the replies fly.. I'm to new to influence.. so what the vets decide i will follow as long as its loud and fast.
By the way on Feb. The 12th at 1:15 PM I had my new race buddy show up at 7 lbs 1 oz my new grandson Levi

Burky_fj

So you are going to put up a kit against a 5000.00 dollar EDM, thats generous. We need to meet at a track somewhere in the middle, we would love some good competition. Sounds like you have a good thing going with the track, wish we were closer to the action. Here's a pic of the fastest bodies on the planet (LOL).
$5000 EDM? There's your problem!

Ronco5

I didn't know you were still alive. See you at the East nats.?

wrp

I'm glad that we are getting exciting about oval racing here on HPI Baja Forum. Keep it going. As a track owner (outlaw raceway park Lincoln Ne), who has no battle with this issue i perfer not to mix. Reason is, the first time someone gets torn up by a out of class car the track owner will be the first to hear someone bark why we combined them. However that being said, i have combine them when someone comes out with a new buggie or truck to get them on the track but, they must be legal, body wise within 30 days. I Remember hot lapping with 1/4 scale sprints and stockers with no organize format from track owner, my car received damage and i decide to limit my practice time. If your racing for fun then no problem but under organized racing i say no.

As far as putting rules on theses, i doubt it will work without a great deal work or time. I was tech man for a couple of years for local tracks in the iowa area with the 1/4 scale. Motor was easy to pop out but the baja would be a little time consuming even for the newbie because sure as sh*t. some will come up with more HP. We do have body rules because some home made bodies looks more like wedges then a true modified. Sprints have wing rule but otherwise anything goes. Believe me, you don't want to put to many rules on these cars. Just look at the 1/4 scale class. Price out a new 1/4 scale and i think the baja is the cheapest way to go.

Face it guys, we as a group took a off road car/truck and made it turn left. From guys who build bodies to upgrade parts they made these cars do things that HPI never thought or dream of.

I could care less if EDM, Late Model or sprinter can or could beat each other. We all have the same goals and that is to grow this type of racing.
My personal thing is, I like to see a dirt 1/4 scale sprinter and HPI sprinter with the same motor go head to head on dirt. My money on the HPI sprinter.

Oh by the way, I have seen Gregs sprinter run...Dang fast

wfw94

$5000 EDM? There's your problem!
I' m sure if we all sit down and add up all the replacement parts and upgrades that you do for reliability, we would all be surprised at how much we have spent on theses cars. Fact of the matter is we are doing something with them they are not designed to do and the racing can get a little rough at times. We really don't upgrade anything unless it makes it handle better, or increases durability, after all you can't be competitive or win if you can't finish. Back to the motor cap issue, I don't think it matters, you can only hook so much horsepower with these cars, it is more of a mental issue. I remember one of our first trips to Diggers, a guy had a brand new 5T out of the box, he came to run offroad. His buddies talked him into running oval, all he changed was the pipe and won the 5T class. It's not about a big motor, it's about handling and driving ability. I do like the idea of a entry level class and then move up as your confidence and experience allows. These cars are fun at any level, that's what it's all about. Just wish we were closer to the action.

wfw94

video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4_onfUt0gw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4_onfUt0gw[/ame]Here's a little in car video.

wfw94

I'm glad that we are getting exciting about oval racing here on HPI Baja Forum. Keep it going. As a track owner (outlaw raceway park Lincoln Ne), who has no battle with this issue i perfer not to mix. Reason is, the first time someone gets torn up by a out of class car the track owner will be the first to hear someone bark why we combined them. However that being said, i have combine them when someone comes out with a new buggie or truck to get them on the track but, they must be legal, body wise within 30 days. I Remember hot lapping with 1/4 scale sprints and stockers with no organize format from track owner, my car received damage and i decide to limit my practice time. If your racing for fun then no problem but under organized racing i say no.

As far as putting rules on theses, i doubt it will work without a great deal work or time. I was tech man for a couple of years for local tracks in the iowa area with the 1/4 scale. Motor was easy to pop out but the baja would be a little time consuming even for the newbie because sure as sh*t. some will come up with more HP. We do have body rules because some home made bodies looks more like wedges then a true modified. Sprints have wing rule but otherwise anything goes. Believe me, you don't want to put to many rules on these cars. Just look at the 1/4 scale class. Price out a new 1/4 scale and i think the baja is the cheapest way to go.

Face it guys, we as a group took a off road car/truck and made it turn left. From guys who build bodies to upgrade parts they made these cars do things that HPI never thought or dream of.

I could care less if EDM, Late Model or sprinter can or could beat each other. We all have the same goals and that is to grow this type of racing.
My personal thing is, I like to see a dirt 1/4 scale sprinter and HPI sprinter with the same motor go head to head on dirt. My money on the HPI sprinter.

Mike, you pay tow money?

big maestro

Everybody at the east coast nats know's our cars are fast.

Mike, I agree with you completely. It doesn't matter whats faster as long as we can get the numbers. Why I posted is because the statements were given were not accurate. Words like "everytime" and "hands down" just are not true. That alone could discourage someone from running what they want to run. These are not real cars, the same rules don't necessarily apply to us. Whens the last time you seen a real car run the wing at such a steep angle? you dont. In order for the car to be its fastest the wing has to be as flat as possible. When there is so much angle it just slows the cars down. That tells me the chassis is not working. Look at a oswego modified. They run the wing flat down the straight then it goes to a steep angle to "brake" the car in the corners. Air can help you or hurt you. Thats why my body is built the way it is. I spent hours measuring and checking angles and what the air would be doing over and under the car. There are no flat edges everything is round. The roofs leading edge, the decks leading edge, everything is built to utilize the air. Like I said If we can make it to one of these races that the sprinters will be at, It would be fun to have a friendly "battle of open wheels" LOL Its all in fun.

BTW, your track is looking good, Like Don said it sucks we're so far away from the action.

Last edited:

Burky_fj

I built a purpose built bulletproof oval rig and spend half that! Sounds like a bunch of talk IMO. But dont worry keep running at places like Diggers which in these parts wouldnt even begin to qualify as an oval track. If you want to give yourself a name come out to Hostilefest and run on Deadends oval. Hands down one of these best oval tracks in the country if not the best. I have yet to see any running video on something that looks better.