Tuskony's 2014 5T Winter Rebuild [tons of pics]

Tuskony

Well it's that time again! Not a lot of driving to be done up here in Canada so I usually tear my truck down and clean it all up, replace bearings etc. This year I went a little crazy! Most of my parts/upgrades have arrived and I have been doing things as I can.

I am building this truck to be a real driver! No shelf queens here!!!!!

You can find a complete set of pictures here.

I will be updating this thread as the build moves along!

Existing upgrades:

TR Clutch system
Proline Desperados with Excavator tires
Threshold shock rezzies
Threshold umbrella seals
TGN track pipe
RPM A-arms all around
Darksoul Meaty Dog Bones
Inclined Shread Stack
Redneck pre filter
Hostile spur gear
Bad Horsie shock covers
Futaba 3PM TX/RX
PB Kill Switch
Clipless front hubs

New Upgrades:

IRP turnbuckles
IRP standoffs for turnbuckles
DDM alloy servo horn
Craftwerks v2 titanium layshaft
TR billet diff case saver kit
TR billet quick diff
Team FastEddy bearing kit (pro series)
Killer RC 7.4v RX lipo pack
Killer RC 11.1 TX lipo pack
Imax-RC B6AC Pro balancing charger
Stock drive cups (both ends... Toobz on the way)
Killer RC green limiting cables
DDM drivers (2,2.5,3,4,5mm) for cordless drill
Phatdad engine brace kit
Mr. Hydes gear cover screw set
Green fuel tubing
.040" copper exhaust header gasket
Hostile Racing gray boots
Fullforce RC front chassis brace
Outerwears pullstart cover
Outerwears crank/flywheel cover
Pro-line desperado rear wheels (I cracked one last season!)
Lipo charging bag
GBE rear engine mount brace
TR transmission plug
DDM front/rear stiffer shock springs
Modified RC rear chassis plate
Killer RC rear turnbuckles
TR servo saver
DDM aluminum engine mounts/braces
TR one piece brake mount
TR front top plate
TR back tranny plate
Uber RC engine mount screw kit (torx bolts)
RCR brake kit
Yamadude linkage

Other new upgrades coming/not pictured:

OBR Full mod 30.5cc
Team Chase cage
Hitec 7980TH throttle/brake servo
Savox 0235MG steering servo
Racers edge 24T servo horn
Woodster standard 5T body
Super Bee Kill switch
Toobz for drive cups

Let the build begin!!!! :gunsmilie:

Last edited:

Tuskony

First up was my Hitec 7980TH throttle/brake servo! This thing is an absolute monster and a mega power house. It's 10% larger than a standard sized throttle/brake servo and it took some time to get it installed. You can find a little write up here that explains how I got it installed. Some people think it's too slow of a servo - to those people I say :ban:

Then I started mocking up my battery and wiring inside the box. Needless to say it's going to be a busy place in there. The Killer RC 4200 mAh pack fits pretty snug inside the box and being a flat pack there is only one place to put it basically. I removed all the existing padding inside the box and I cut a foam insert to go beneath the battery pack.

But once I started putting some wiring into the box it became obvious that I was going to have to make room for the wires to go beneath the battery pack. I did some test fitting and I didn't like that to get wires down and below the pack I had to raise the front of the pack up and it sat in there in a goofy way and make it harder to put the top of the receiver box back on. This is what I did:

As you can see by cutting out part of the box it allowed me to have the battery box in there nice and snug while still having a very clean look to the wiring.

So next up was putting in the Savox 0235 steering servo. This was obviously pretty straight forward. DDM horn. I also siliconed down the receiver box and glitch buster as you can see here.

Last edited:

Tuskony

Ok enough mucking around with the receiver box for now!

Next I tackled the front part of the chassis. This was pretty straight forward all I did was install the Full Force front chassis brace. I also repainted my chassis:

It was a pretty straight forward install. The only thing I did different is I didn't cut of the little "L" shaped hook on the stock front skid plate like the installation instructions suggested. I instead trimmed it back so that it would fit and still lock in place even with the added thickness of the chassis brace. Sorry I don't have a pic of this.

Next I tackled the TR servo saver. This thing is a thing of beauty!

I noticed that part of the servo saver arm was hitting the nut holding in the chassis brace. So I removed the nut and trimmed the screw.

Now some more assembly and the TR top front plate goes in

Basically the front just needs the hubs isntalled along with the turnbuckles and suspension. I am waiting on a new part for my front hubs though.

Last edited:

Tuskony

I knew the bearings in my rear hubs were bad but I didn't know they were THIS bad:

One of the bearings seized and melted part of the rear hub! I also found that one of my hubs was cracked. So I have two new, stock, rear hubs coming in!

Tuskony

I was bored waiting on part so I did some mocking up/test fitting of my rear chassis pieces.

The TR trans case is a thing of beauty! The Craftwerks layshaft is also very, very nice!!! The top half of the transmission is basically done but I am waiting for my Toobz to arrive so I can finish assembling my diff and getting on with the show!

I did the axle boot mod on my trans. I think Monsterman was the first to do this?

It works like a charm and looks really sick imo! Just make sure you grease the boot really well on the inside and also make sure to grease the boot/trans case where the outside of the boot will be spinning in the case.

And then because I was bored I started to mock up a few more pieces!

:gunsmilie: :gunsmilie: :gunsmilie:

Tuskony

EDIT: This idea won't work! I forgot the rear bulkhead has a nub that locks into this hole. But I'm leaving this post for context!

I was playing around with my bottom skid and I noticed that my Modified RC plate had a spare hole in it. I get tired of the rear skid plate falling off! It won't any more.

Need a drill, 11/64th drill bit, a counter sink bit, a bolt, washer and nut

Mark the center of your hole

Drill it out and counter sink it just enough so that the screw sits flush or slightly recessed.

Top side view completed

No clearance issues with the bulk!

Last edited:

Tuskony

will it clear it once you put the tower in?
otherwise all looks good man :D
I'll see!!! If it doesn't I'll have to come up with something else :D :gun_bandana: I've seen people go through the trans screws or whatever to hold it in place but I don't want to do that!!!

Last edited:

Tuskony

will it clear it once you put the tower in?
otherwise all looks good man :D
Well you sure were on to something! I forgot the rear bulkhead has a nub that locks into that hole. So no my idea wont work. But what I might do is drill a small hole into the center of the bulkhead nub and then use a smaller screw, with a larger washer, underneath and screw it into the bulkhead. I'm mulling over the idea!

nice job brotha

there are a lot of fun to build
Thanks!

Tuskony

Well my Toobz came in today so I got going on the assembly of the diff! Everything was pretty straight forward but the outer axle bearings on the alloy diff didn't want to take a bearing without having to heat them up. But I got them in and the rest of the diff assembly was a breeze.

But I am now having this issue???

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOgkNPFUArw[/ame]

Tuskony

Ok well I got the loose diff issue sorted out. Turns out that one of the trans case bearings was sliding on a bit too far. Turtle Racing said I could mail back the case but being up in Canada I didn't want to wait that long to receive a new case!

I managed to make 2 shims out of some old nitro copper head gaskets. A little dremel work to bore them out to 20mm and they worked like a charm. Now I have "click" the diff into trans case. It's silky smooth now and so is the diff. I have next to no side to side play. TR said they have anywhere from 0.20 to 0.50mm side play on the case itself. I used what to equated to about two 0.30mm shims to fix my slop/bearing placement.

Here it is all buttoned up and ready to be installed:

I must say I'm quite impressed with this set up. It feels very solid and I love the Threshold Toobz already. Not that you'll ever see them but they give the truck a cool look and they definitely feel like they'll do exactly what they're designed to do!

Last edited:

Tuskony

More goodies today...

Full set of Hudy wrenches, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5mm. I've wanted these for awhile...

Tuskony

The power plant!!!!!!

My OBR 30.5cc Full Mod with TR Billet crankcase arrived today. This thing is gorgeous! Has to be one of the firsts of the year! Jan 2, 2014!

:gunsmilie::gunsmilie::gunsmilie::gunsmilie:

Basher2000

looks like your re-build is coming along quite nicely! where u from in canada? may the timmies keep flowing, my rc career is primarily fueled by those beloved xl dbl dbls haha. rock on man

TheSpike

You will have a lot of fun with your OBR 30.5.
Have mine for a while now and it runs great.
Just take your time with breaking in and have a look in the tutorial video from OBR.