Trevor Simpson engine club

postie90

Not so much a engine question, but as the T/S are so powerfull what oil weight is favourable in the diff? Soon as I go to lay the power down, my Baja just spins out...

fwzflqwer

Has anyone tried to convert a TS engine to long rod?? Read couple of websites on how good is the long rod. As I just blew my header, I recon it may worth a try.

Do I need anything else aside form +3 crankshaft and +3 spacer?

Chitown5BSS

Hi this is the part that I'm looking for my ts engine.
Dis someone know where I can buy this part.

Thanks

Trevor told me to only use that piece if I absolutely need to (mostly for use in a Baja). Mine powers my Losi. He recommends using the thin fiberglass gasket which comes with the motor instead of that isolator block.

Chitown5BSS

Has anyone tried to convert a TS engine to long rod?? Read couple of websites on how good is the long rod. As I just blew my header, I recon it may worth a try.

Do I need anything else aside form +3 crankshaft and +3 spacer?
For a +3mm crank, it takes a lot of work to port the head correctly. I originally asked Trevor about this type of motor. Even most 30.5cc engines with a +2mm crank and 36mm bore are not ported correctly. I'm told the 29.5cc, +1mm crank and 36mm bore are the best balance for torque and top end.

danbo

I am running the 990 on my 30.5cc, 5mm long rod, TR reed case w/Dog Pile Racing's personal touch. Never have any issues

logon69

I am running a GZ WT-1048 big bore carb with a lowered pop off pressure. It runs way better than the 990 I had on there.
I went from and 813, to a 668, 1048, and now a 990 and I am happiest with that.
Does the 1048 run that much better for you and how does it run better? I couldn't get my engine tunes with that carb to save my life.
Long story short I couldn't get enough fuel to flow at top rpm. It would just lean out. That is when i tried finally tried a 990. The 990 really woke up the bottom end for me on my full TS 30.5 and I could get a proper tune on the engine.

jbooker82

I went from and 813, to a 668, 1048, and now a 990 and I am happiest with that.
Does the 1048 run that much better for you and how does it run better? I couldn't get my engine tunes with that carb to save my life.
Long story short I couldn't get enough fuel to flow at top rpm. It would just lean out. That is when i tried finally tried a 990. The 990 really woke up the bottom end for me on my full TS 30.5 and I could get a proper tune on the engine.

The 1048 that I run is the GZ modded one. I think all he does is reshape the front side of the carb, and then put a small notch in the butter fly right where the low speed holes are. I also lowered the pop off pressure. It was at 30psi or so and I took it down to 15-16 psi. That is what Eric Hill recommended me to do. I am also running a Flow Systems pipe. I haven't ran my Gizmo PowerMaster pipe, or Bartolone Torpedo pipe with the T.S. motor yet.

I never ran the 1048 with the stock metering needle spring. It seems to run richer down low because there is a lot more smoke than when I was running the 990 but it seems to have a stronger low end punch. If you still have your 1048 it might be worth a shot to lower the pressure to see if you still feel that the 990 is better.

hatch232

Hi guys just got myself a TS 27.2 long rod that TS has done I'm running a vrc bigbore pipe but its just a bit lagy down low its also got an adjustable timing cover would advancing the timing help? Does any body know why it's lagy like that?

logon69

May want to play with the clutch and a different pipe. The stands VRC is probably a better choice for that engine. Will give you more low end snap.
Now just keep in mind that the LR is going to he lazier down low over a standard length rod engine.
Make sure you have at least a 8K clutch setup and that the shoes are not run reversed

Last edited:

RDucky47

Anyone have a spare black plastic carb insulator? I'm using the tan wafer but I think I'm getting to much heat soak through it in my Losi.

I think heat soak because when I first start it up the truck and engine absolutely run crazy. After a few mins theres a loss in power, especially the low end, engine looks great on the inside. Put in a new ring a about 7 tanks ago, 2 tanks for breakin. I just ordered a new 990 carb to replace the 990 on there now. Im going to be swithcing back to a stock clutch to ensure its not a clutch problem. Engine still runs good, I can still keep up with piston port motors, but I used to be able to "walk" on them at will

Last edited:

minislicks

If your looking for that then you need to go over to GPN. The first designed T.S. Reed Cases have the intake pointing down because they were used on GoPeds.
Ts000 case are 2bolt prototype, the first made. I have a ts553 and its original 4bolt its the latest case ive seen before the v2. Heres my 1 post done so i can pm trevor now.

a2btow

Does anyone know if Trevor Simpson is still producing parts ? I'm in the need of a 36mm top end kit . I've looked everywhere but everyone is out of stock.
If I can't get my hands on one soon , does anyone have any recommendations of a head I can buy to go with my TS reed bottom end ?

speedy986

Does anyone know if Trevor Simpson is still producing parts ? I'm in the need of a 36mm top end kit . I've looked everywhere but everyone is out of stock.
If I can't get my hands on one soon , does anyone have any recommendations of a head I can buy to go with my TS reed bottom end ?
ADA head.

reedcase_chris

Looking for a suitable carb for a TS 29.5 motor i just purchased. The previous owner ran a 990nbut but from reading the giz 1048 is the way to go?

jbooker82

I run the Gizmo modded 1048 on mine. Don't for get the billet throttle arm. You will probably need to shorten it a little so it doesn't rub on the fuel tank. I also lowered the pop off pressure as recommended by Eric Hill.

logon69

Looking for a suitable carb for a TS 29.5 motor i just purchased. The previous owner ran a 990nbut but from reading the giz 1048 is the way to go?

Personally had a bad experience with the 1048. Couldn't get the tune perfect. Could only get the low to mid either rich it lean. The top end was fine bit the low speed stumble was not to my liking especially at the drag strip. Have way more luck with the 990. He'll the stock 668 was better IMO.