Tr top tranny plate....

OneLove86

I'm VERY disappointed with the turtle racing top plate for the tranny.... I got it and the one peace break kit, I put it on my 5b and there's so much binding that the spur gear don't spin... I put my factory top plate back on and it works like a charm. Any suggestions on why this might be?

detroiteddy13

Did you use the supplied plastic snap rings? the stock one will rub on the bottom of the plate...also keep everything loose until its in place and seated then snug em all down..

Monsterman

MonstermanHBF
Staff member
Media
I'm VERY disappointed with the turtle racing top plate for the tranny.... I got it and the one peace break kit, I put it on my 5b and there's so much binding that the spur gear don't spin... I put my factory top plate back on and it works like a charm. Any suggestions on why this might be?

Is the rest of your Baja stock? If you have any billet or aftermarket parts such as Diff case, Rear Bulkhead, Uprights etc you will need to loosen things up while installing the TR Rear Plate. If you are still running stock I would still suggest to loosen things up while installing.
There is a little binding "Billet DOES NOT FLEX" like plastic parts do..

I am pretty sure almost everyone runs the TR Front & Rear Top plates with no real problems.. Post some pictures so we can see your set up I am sure we can help you get it installed.

Here's a useful video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3wxbCq0av8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc94YFN9BbU[/ame]

banshee

Agree, zero problems. Like everyone ours saying, keep bolts loose until everything is lined up and snug each little by little. All my turtle parts I've installed this way. Tolerances are tight and that's a good thing! I'm almost positive its not the plate. Hope you get it worked out.

OneLove86

Well one thing I can say is it didn't come with any plastic rings..... And yeah it's all stock. I need to look into this ring issue cause that might be my whole issue...

Monsterman

MonstermanHBF
Staff member
Media
Well one thing I can say is it didn't come with any plastic rings..... And yeah it's all stock. I need to look into this ring issue cause that might be my whole issue...
Its not supposed to come with plastic rings, there is a plastic ring on your LayShaft.. If you watched the 2nd video about 2:40 min in you'll see the ring that needs to be removed..

zignzag

Before they came out with a smaller plastic ring the stock one was removed and nothing added so it wouldn't bind things up I believe. Now if you want you should be able to order the proper ring from ddm or maybe someone has a extra one they can send to u. As said above it helps to loosen the parts up around it, then see if it helps line the parts up, then snugg it all up. Hope all goes well for ya.

zipperhead

i run turtles plates on 5 bajas. never had a problem
its not the part, its something you did or didnt do during install
take off the plastic ring behind the brake, make sure everything is loose and tighten the bolts to snug, then go back and fully tighten them.

check out the videos that monsterman posted, watch em twice if ya have to.
its all there.

good luck

dscjester

The black plastic ring for the brake hex is rubbing. You have to shave it down. Or you maybe overtightened the bolts torquing the plate.

zignzag

The black plastic ring for the brake hex is rubbing. You have to shave it down. Or you maybe overtightened the bolts torquing the plate.
+1 as dscjester says, to be sure you can remove the black ring and re install the tr plate to be sure its the problem then shave down the ring a bit and check it out. The tr plate is a good product as well as all other tr products, they just have a tighter, snugger fit so there's no play between the parts or spacers needed. Take a break from the baja and relax or do something to calm your frustrations if any then get back to the build and it should be good to go. you can always contact Turtle Racing if there's still an issue but this should solve your issue. If not then I'd go back and disassemble everything that you've done to the point of putting the plate on. Check out the vids as shown above it shows all you need to do when installing the plate, chances are you missed doing something thats causing the binding. Don't forget you need to shave a little off the plastic part on the top right hand side that the plate sits on.

Shark_330

Hopefully one of you guys can answer this question I have in regards to the TR tranny plate. My question is do I still use the little screw and washer that screws into the top of the TR quick diff? The TR plate appears to be thicker with chamfering around that oval area that accepts the top of the tranny. Also, I was reading to loosen up everything due to tolerances. My entire drivetrain is all TR and this is my last piece to install. If anyone can offer suggestions or comments or anything else to lookout for on the install I'd appreciate it. I sure don't want to jack up any of my TR parts.

Thanks.

TheSpike

I run the complete TR setup including the quick diff, the small bolt has to stay in the top also with the TR top plate.
Other then this, installing is pretty straight forward.
Best tip is to loosen up your rear setup in order for pieces to fall into place nicely, and after you set all the bolts, tighten it down.