Thinking about going Electric

jake1191

Well I have had my 5SC since February and was running a 30.5cc OBR/TR Reed motor with DDM Dominator-T pipe. I ended up snapping the front of my chassis in July then slapped on the Kraken Poly Chassis but find myself liking my brushless trucks even more.

My question biggest question is how did everyone like the switch from Gas to electric?

How are run times?

What batteries do you favor?

What connectors do you use?

ANGRYEVO8

running electric is awesome!!! The run time varies from 15-40mins depending on the size of the batteries and how hard you push it. Depending on your batteries and charger setup, charging times will vary form an hour to 15 mins. I am using thunderpower 70c batteries and am making the switch to castle polarized connectors (currently using castle 6.5mm bullets). If i don't like them i will be using HXT 8mm polairzed connectors

BMOC

i'm highly considering picking up another baja for an electric build. things look like they move really well! would be nice to use around the neighborhood

fooman

Ive done the cc convert and i think its much better 20min run times on 8s which is wild,tried ip batteries at first very$$ and didnt last more than a few charges using zippys now not as much punch,waiting on turnigy nanos, all 8mm bullets two advantages straight off i can run at 10pm on the street no probs and no more running into bushes to drag your car out, reverse is awsome

tetsulo

Well I have had my 5SC since February and was running a 30.5cc OBR/TR Reed motor with DDM Dominator-T pipe. I ended up snapping the front of my chassis in July then slapped on the Kraken Poly Chassis but find myself liking my brushless trucks even more.

My question biggest question is how did everyone like the switch from Gas to electric?

How are run times?

What batteries do you favor?

What connectors do you use?
Ok - grab a drink, here's a long one.

I had been fed up with my Baja for several years as I didn't like the power of the stock 23cc - I upgraded to the DarkSoul Sikk Head kit and was underwhelmed by it's performance and couldn't ever get it to run right - so it sat in the garage. I converted it to electric at the beginning of the summer using the RC Monster conversion as a base and have had a blast with it. Put tons of miles on it, blown my savings account, etc. It even raced pretty well and I ended up taking second place in a 20minute long A main race at Bashfest in September much to my surprise.

This was done with an XL2, a Hobbking 730kv motor, and Zippy 8000mah packs with castle 6.5mm polarized connectors.

I ended up getting a Losi 5ive and that's been stealing a lot of my attention from the Baja - but I decided to give gas another shot with it in no small part because of the cost of electronics and batteries that I felt would be necessary for an adequate 5ive conversion. After doing some reading and digging into the forums I chose an OBR 30.5 Pro Stock with billet crankcase. This motor has run like a clock and I finally had a smile on my face running gas, enjoying the noise, smell, not stalling, long run times where I'm not thinking about the batteries, etc.

So on a whim I converted my Baja back to gas this weekend. Using my new found engine knowledge (mainly OBR's tuning video and track time with the Losi) I was able to get my DarkSoul SIKK running really well. it starts and runs just like the OBR (with less but still seemingly plenty power for a 2wd vehicle), and loves VP SEF with Castor 927 @ 28:1.

Car handles very differently - Rear end feels much heavier and planted in part due to a more traditional weight distribution as a gas vehicle and in part I believe because of the torque curve and clutch engagement. I needed to add preload to the springs as it was basically bottomed out in the rear with the settings from my car when it was electric.

I was running 15/57 as an electric and was passing gas Baja's on the oval quite handily - I haven't been able to run my Baja in a wide open space yet and I'm back to 17/57 gearing - should be able to get to the soccer field this weekend but I need outerwears first. I'm using my HPI SS 'Tuned Pipe' which some folks have said is little more than a noise maker so I don't expect the car to be as fast as it was when it was electric.

I enjoyed my Baja as an electric - it was reliable, easy to maintain, quiet, and very capable - I have three pairs of batteries and would easily get 30min bash time per pair - when I raced dirt oval in Sept which is basically full throttle all the time I made it about 12mins before my LIPO meters started beeping. The dirt is pretty sticky and the inside wheel would cake up, get unbalanced and very very heavy which is what explains to me the dramatic drop in battery life between the two styles of driving.

If your just looking to bash and are having more fun with electric stuff now I say go for it. You can build a real beast - especially if you go with an MGM Compro ESC and 12s (or more!) - I see no reason why you couldn't build a 70cc equivalent or even a killer if you wanted to. But they are tons of fun with more down to earth stuff too.

One more observation if your considering using Zippy's to power it - You will get right around 8000mah if you run them to 3.2volt per cell - however they seem to want to get a little puffy if you run them that low. I would suggest setting your cutoff @ 3.4v per cell instead. I've also seen folks suggest only running them down to 3.7v but to me that seems like leaving a LOT of capacity on the table. I would not recommend relying on the cutoff within the ESC - buy cheap cell monitors and actually monitor/alert for each cell - not aggregate voltage.

Some of my build up threads may have info of interest to you too.

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139862

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138936

Sigh - I miss the shorty chassis - I tweaked it pretty bad clipping a post and have gone back to the stock chassis for now.

Check out page 2 of the e-shorty thread - in particular about the capacitor mod I did. I think it made a HUGE difference for my batteries and ESC - At a minimum I would run the castle pack but in this case I think bigger is better.

Oh - and stay away from the Toro 200a ESC - it really sucked. I've never blown an ESC before by just plugging in the power.

Just remembered I have 7 min of the oval race of my e-Baja against a field of gas Baja's pretty good side by side comparison of them. Mine is the orange wheeled car that is very quiet :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liul7CRS3iE[/ame]

Last edited:

Oli&Ril77's

I have converted my Baja to electric. I love everything about it except run times. Granted, I was using 25C/4000mAh batteries but running in an open field (about football field length), at full throttle, I swear it was about 5 minutes. I now took that same setup and put it in a 4wd FG Monster Truck,,, once again love everything except runtimes. I will try with a higher capacity battery with higher C rating in the next couple of weeks and let you know. But if you run in rather large and open fields buy lots of batteries, lol!!!

jake1191

I have decided to go ahead with my brushless decision. I have some work to do on my Baja(new chassis and shocks). I will be pulling off the 30.5CC Reed and putting it up for sale which should cover my repairs and brushless system. As for batteries I am going to try for something that will be dual purpose in one of my brushless 8th scales.

Charger I am set with from my Heli side of the hobby so 15 min charge times will be available as well as charging 2 packs at once.

Time to let the fun begin!

Fiddy

I have decided to go ahead with my brushless decision. I have some work to do on my Baja(new chassis and shocks). I will be pulling off the 30.5CC Reed and putting it up for sale which should cover my repairs and brushless system. As for batteries I am going to try for something that will be dual purpose in one of my brushless 8th scales.

Charger I am set with from my Heli side of the hobby so 15 min charge times will be available as well as charging 2 packs at once.

Time to let the fun begin!
keep us updated on the build
:)