Super 5SC Flux issues...

Baja Dog

So I've had my ambitiously named Super 5SC for a couple of months now and have had 2 recurring issues straight out of the box - personally, I would have named it the Shortcut 5SC Flux....here is why.

First of all - and my biggest issue - is the rear upright/hub combo which was designed for the front end, and for steering. HPI thought they may have solved or at least hidden the problems created in using this setup in the rear by attaching the steering turnbuckles to a fixed point on the rear bulkhead.

They were wrong. Because the uprights are able to pivot for steering, the rear wheels have the remarkable and uniquely "Super" capability to create what I like to call dynamic toe-in/toe-out. This is created throughout the entire travel of the suspension, so the amount of toe-in/toe-out is constantly changing, or in a state of flux, which seems appropriate. Super. As a result of this ground breaking technology, both my rear uprights have snapped on separate occasions - precisely at the weak point where the turnbuckles attach.

Amazingly, it took Integy of all people to provide a possible solution by offering a one-piece rear hub carrier. Who would have thought?

The second issue I have encountered is another breath-taking shortcut, this time regarding the axles. The brave design team at HPI pinpointed, with exact accuracy, that the 1/8th Savage parts they Salvaged for this project were indeed the wrong scale. What they discovered was the suspension and control arms weren't actually long enough for the wider footprint of the 5SC, and neither were the dog bones. Instead of beefing up these critical components to match Baja specifications, their collective and simply genius solution was to create a weak point at the extremities of the Shortcut 5SC.

In the very place where the full force of any rut, bump or roll-over is concentrated, the team opted for extended axles complete with a neat little collar in an attempt to disguise their obvious weakness and short comings. When I say extended I mean the length and definitely not the thickness of the axles. As a result, I have snapped 2 of them (separate instances to the uprights) and I expect more to come.

So what exactly does the term Super mean? According to our mate Webster and his famous book entitled "Dictionary";

1. of high grade or quality
2. very large or powerful
3. exhibiting the characteristics of its type to an extreme or excessive degree

Hmmm maybe the last interpretation has some ground, but certainly not in HPI's favor.......IMO :ban:

Last edited:

Baja Dog

Maybe I got a dud? Integy hubs solved my first problem - surely it wouldnt have been that hard for HPI to make plastic versions to include in the kit? They'd probably save money too as it negates the need for 2x turnbuckles, 2 extra plastic parts and 8 screws....

MikeK1981

Integy hubs were always one good upgrade from that company that held up well on savages. Plus they definitely help solidify the rear end!

Steve3472

sorry to hear your problems with your Ive had no problems with mine, I did the integy hub upgrade, the savox servo with castle bec and have never had a problem and run on nothing but 6c. Well i did break and arm but my own fault with no body on and bieng a smatrt you know what lol

1fastmr2

There have been other post on these trucks of issues with them. They are deleted. Mine has had steering servo issue. The motor and the ESC has been replaced 3 times each. I had to remove the transmission and found the all the screws on one of the gears came loose. Pinion gear has come off many times. I'm using green thread locker. Very terrible design. I have many emails with HPI and my issues. They don't seem to care and they tell me there is nothing wrong with my flux

HBFModerator

There have been other post on these trucks of issues with them. They are deleted. Mine has had steering servo issue. The motor and the ESC has been replaced 3 times each. I had to remove the transmission and found the all the screws on one of the gears came loose. Pinion gear has come off many times. I'm using green thread locker. Very terrible design. I have many emails with HPI and my issues. They don't seem to care and they tell me there is nothing wrong with my flux

What threads have been deleted? Nothing is deleted :blush:

TeK

There have been other post on these trucks of issues with them. They are deleted. Mine has had steering servo issue.
Default only shows last 75 days. You need to change how far back you want to look at the bottom of the page in each section.

Monsterman

MonstermanHBF
Staff member
Media
Nothing is removed or deleted unless it violates the forum rules, check your forum settings in the USER CP.. If you need help with this shoot me a PM.

Default only shows last 75 days. You need to change how far back you want to look at the bottom of the page in each section.
That is correct thanks Tek :)

nitrors4pr

Wow it sucks to hear that you were unhappy with yours. I did have the same issue with the rear upright/hub combo but I've since replaced it and it hasn't broken since and that was because I clipped a light pole. The axles seem very beefy to me also, I've yet to replace one, were you bashing really hard to break them ?.......Anywho I love mine and happy I bought it, after changing the shock oil it now handles great and I can lay the power down which isn't much right now but I'm building a mount to install the castle 1717 motor. Good luck with your 5SC, I also enjoy my 5B when it wants to start lol

RC Foobar

Yeah I got my 5SC Flux a few months ago and it's been awesome. A converted Losi 5T would also be great, but would cost something like double. For the approximately one grand that the 5SC Flux cost, with a few upgrades, it's the only 1/5 electric 4WD short course truck that I know of.

It does indeed look like HPI has discontinued the Super 5SC Flux. I can only fervently hope that they will be coming out with an even better electric 4WD short course truck.

1/5 scale is no problem when there's miles of frozen sea ice to drive on :)

Check it out ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyu14tBR6m0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyu14tBR6m0[/ame]