Stock vs Carbon Fiber

Thread starter #1

Baja Guy

Hey guys,

I'm begining my 1st scratch build from the ground up. My plan is to build a lightweight straight line onroad racer. Not an extra long drag racer, but stock length, and stock suspension arms. EVERYTHING else will be upgraded parts.

To start with:
Chassis, Top/Bottom Plates, & Braces

Im considering carbon fiber over stock. But my questions are...

1) What are the pros and cons of both versions.

2) If i mix and match what would be the your choice to maintain low weight and strength combined? EDIT: And why?

I hope to keep this 5b under 25lbs. total! I know wishfull thinking lol.

Thanks!
Greg

Last edited:

dscjester

First Greg, Goodluck and enjoy the build. Carbon fiber is and can get expensive. With stock parts like chassis and plates, can be purchased fairly cheaper and can be lightened by drilling holes or whatever. Hopefully IETZR1S will chime in. He is a speed demon

:clover:

Baja5bOBR

My advise would be, dont use carbon an anything that hinge pins go through.
Carbon is strong and light, but the wear rate is rapid on moving parts.
IE the rear braces for 1 the holes on mine went oval within a few tanks, endes up drilling them and inserting a steel bush.

Thread starter #5

Baja Guy

First Greg, Goodluck and enjoy the build. Carbon fiber is and can get expensive. With stock parts like chassis and plates, can be purchased fairly cheaper and can be lightened by drilling holes or whatever. Hopefully IETZR1S will chime in. He is a speed demon

:clover:
Thanks! I'm gonna take my time with this build, and hopefully keep the mistakes to a minimum. IMO The carbon chassis is a work of art, and extremely expensive. I might just go with scorpion to keep costs in check. But I really dig the CF chassis. :helpsmilie:

Check this thread out.

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127353

I don't think he even has carbon fiber but his 5b is around 21 lbs ready to run with a tank of fuel.
I already have that thread bookmarked! The guy shared some helpful notes in that thread.

Thanks

My advise would be, dont use carbon an anything that hinge pins go through.
Carbon is strong and light, but the wear rate is rapid on moving parts.
IE the rear braces for 1 the holes on mine went oval within a few tanks, endes up drilling them and inserting a steel bush.
I agree.. may just go stock on hinge pin braces.
Point taken.
Thanks

Monsterman

MonstermanHBF
Staff member
Media
Carbon is cool, makes for an awesome lightweight build and looks great but damn if that stuff wont hold up to any sort of bashing. If you are going with a lightweight build and plan on doing just high speed runs etc t hat you should be ok.. I've seen many guys here on the forum and locally build some badass CF builds only to go and try to do some bashing and have them shatter to shit! Carbon just doesn't hold up to serious bashing and the weight of these rigs..

Thread starter #7

Baja Guy

Carbon is cool, makes for an awesome lightweight build and looks great but damn if that stuff wont hold up to any sort of bashing. If you are going with a lightweight build and plan on doing just high speed runs etc t hat you should be ok.. I've seen many guys here on the forum and locally build some badass CF builds only to go and try to do some bashing and have them shatter to shit! Carbon just doesn't hold up to serious bashing and the weight of these rigs..

Thats my only worry Chris. I don't ever plan on bashing this one at all, but i'm still concerned about the CF chassis strength & reliability. This build is only for straight line clocked speed runs.

I have an sc for bashing around.

Monsterman

MonstermanHBF
Staff member
Media
Thats my only worry Chris. I don't ever plan on bashing this one at all, but i'm still concerned about the CF chassis strength & reliability. This build is only for straight line clocked speed runs.

I have an sc for bashing around.
Then you should be alright, just don't crash into anything!!
Brice @ BajaSkunkworks did an ALL CF build many years ago was for straight on road street runs only, the first few times out I think it was a radio glitch and he ended up putting it into a curb.. Needless to say it exploded.. Was later rebuilt better and stronger but it was an expensive build..

I know from past CF builds you are going to run into problems with the hinge pins rubbing and eating away at the CF.. I don't think there is going to be much you can do to get around that.. Let me see if I can dig up some of the older Carbon Fiber builds..

I wish Rhino Racing was still around doing Baja's.. He had a ton of great and useful info on CF and the parts available. Also OFF "Out Front Frames" used to make great CF parts..
Its a crap shoot now..

Baja5bOBR

Monsterman
You can get round the braces been carbon, all you do is what I said above.
Drill out the hole to 8mm then bush them with a still bush, 8x6x6 and ground down the 6mm to 4 when fitted.
I have had mine in now for well over 9 months, this is why I no that carbon on moving parts is crap.

Monsterman

MonstermanHBF
Staff member
Media
Monsterman
You can get round the braces been carbon, all you do is what I said above.
Drill out the hole to 8mm then bush them with a still bush, 8x6x6 and ground down the 6mm to 4 when fitted.
I have had mine in now for well over 9 months, this is why I no that carbon on moving parts is crap.
Cool I have always liked the looks of CF and builds but never cared for it much myself from a use stand point but that mod sounds good.

Baja5bOBR

Cool I have always liked the looks of CF and builds but never cared for it much myself from a use stand point but that mod sounds good.
Yep is now well tried and tested, I worn the alloy ones down pretty quick. I don't like the slop the rear had, contact ubers about there carbon rear brace. They said they will last longer than the alloy ones and gave a time they had used them for before needed replacing, I was not best inpressed after the second tank and was in the state the alloy ones was in. So bushed them been fine since, I had a mate make me some more has spares but not yet needed them.

Monsterman

MonstermanHBF
Staff member
Media
Yep is now well tried and tested, I worn the alloy ones down pretty quick. I don't like the slop the rear had, contact ubers about there carbon rear brace. They said they will last longer than the alloy ones and gave a time they had used them for before needed replacing, I was not best inpressed after the second tank and was in the state the alloy ones was in. So bushed them been fine since, I had a mate make me some more has spares but not yet needed them.

Sounds good, spares are good too!

Thread starter #15

Baja Guy

I might do the bush mod, but for the price of CF parts id rather just go with cheaper alloy, and save my self the trouble of possibly screwin it up.

Are the chassis and parts prone to chip or crack from normal flat surface use?

IETZR1S

I run a lot of carbon on MB and my 5B. Both have carbon chassis from 2 different manufactures. Monster Baby's carbon chassis survived a 105mph impact. Best part about it...its just as true today as when purchased new.

Monsterman

MonstermanHBF
Staff member
Media
I am not saying all the CF is bad or that brittle but a lot of the parts are, I've seen the Front & Rear Top Plates crack and splinter on rigs, I think it all depends on the location of the Carbon part and how well its made. I know that Swiss Low makes some nice CF stuff, so does Pro Line.. OutFrontFrames used to make a HUGE list of CF parts but Wes has been out of the game for quite awhile. Rhino Racing also made a lot of CF stuff but no longer makes them either..

Baja5bOBR

I have a few carbon parts, nothing wrong with them at all. Only the braces LOL, but it's an easy fix to sort them out.

I have front and rear top plates, brace behind the tank and the said braces.

My front top plate survived a X2 chassis breakage, and my rear survived a 46.1 MPH jump that killed the rear bulkhead, ubers bumper, and ripped out the engine brace.

Replaced engine brace with a GBE, bumper replaced with BZM fitted stock bulkhead.

Thread starter #20

Baja Guy

I run a lot of carbon on MB and my 5B. Both have carbon chassis from 2 different manufactures. Monster Baby's carbon chassis survived a 105mph impact. Best part about it...its just as true today as when purchased new.

I noticed you run a few different aluminum parts on your 5b. So I assume acceleration is not affected to much?