SlammerRC's Exhaust Stud Mod

Timmahh

actually, GBE was the first Pipe Manufacturer to use studs. but many many of us used a stud long before anyone Knew who or what a GBE was. My 8 yr old Bergonzoni used Only studs and nuts, no bolts ever.

excellent stuff Ron. the exhaust bolts are one of the bigger issues on ANY gas rc. not just the baja.

SlammerRC

Media
actually, GBE was the first Pipe Manufacturer to use studs. but many many of us used a stud long before anyone Knew who or what a GBE was. My 8 yr old Bergonzoni used Only studs and nuts, no bolts ever.

excellent stuff Ron. the exhaust bolts are one of the bigger issues on ANY gas rc. not just the baja.
Yes sir I know and understand GBE was the first, I also like the fact that my GBE pipe has a thicker header flange helping to reduce warping, also a first.

I felt the way "it" was stated then supported previously in this thread, was accusing me of steeling/taking "credit" for this mod; like I had invented this method.
In addition, the fact that adding the "brake mod" I posted OVER A YEAR AGO, proved my feeling to be correct and I took offense to that.
I also feel like I handled the situation professionally and it's over with.......

I too used to do the "stud mod" on my nitro motors, heck, I even did the "stud mod" to electric motors.
Doing the "header mod" made it easier to RnR the Baja motor without hassling with the whole exhaust pipe.

I know the easier I make something for me to do, the more likely I will be to do it, it's just human nature.
Having said that, with this "header mod" I am more likely to maintain the engine and rear section on my Baja, Because I have one less part to mess with; making Baja maintenance more enjoyable.

Thanks Tim, it's always an honor to have a professional Baja Mechanic like yourself make positive comments on my threads.

...Ron

REDLIGHT

What size hose did you use? I used 3/4 inch and it was tight. I cut my pipe today and staightened out the header flange and put it on with bolts, I have drilled them for retainer wire. I noticed that the pipe wants to sag a bit, on the left side. Does it works it way loose and rub anywhere or does it stay tight. I hope to run mine on the weekend and find out how much of an improvement this mod is. I would of taken and posted pics, but my batteries were dead. Thanks Ron this is a great and easy mod.

SlammerRC

Media
What size hose did you use? I used 3/4 inch and it was tight. I cut my pipe today and staightened out the header flange and put it on with bolts, I have drilled them for retainer wire. I noticed that the pipe wants to sag a bit, on the left side. Does it works it way loose and rub anywhere or does it stay tight. I hope to run mine on the weekend and find out how much of an improvement this mod is. I would of taken and posted pics, but my batteries were dead. Thanks Ron this is a great and easy mod.
Happy to help you out, OK, lets see.....

Hose size was a tossup for me. At first I could not decide between the 3/4" or 1". I went with the 1". I had to special order the hose from the local auto parts store so it was "none returnable". Knowing I could tigten it up more than I could make it larger is the reason I went with the 1". NOW knowing you got the 3/4" to fit I'll try 3/4" next time.

Sagging..... I had previously bent the lower rear pipe mount so it would pick up the left side of the pipe. You could try that....

You can try this as well. With the header still mounted and tight, remove the bolt/nut holding the rear pipe bracket to the Baja, then loosen your rear hose clamp, turn the pipe clockwise in the hose a bit and tighten the hose clamp back down first, then reinstall the pipe on the rear lower mount. This should "torque the hose a bit and help hold the pipe up on that lower left side. You may have to turn the pipe either way to find that "sweet spot". By adding the hose joint you can adjust the "sag" out. Another good reason for the "header mod"...

The pipe on my Baja is not touching the roll cage nor the rear bumper. I do run the ModifiedRC quick release tubes so I'm not concerned if it does touch the roll cage as the tubes will protect the plastic.

Let me know if this helps and your welcome to add pictures to this thread when you get your camera up and running.

...Ron

REDLIGHT

Well camera is up and running. In these pics you can see that my exhaust was leaking quite bad. I also did not use the x-port. I made some flat sided washers and use wire to hold my bolts from coming loose. You can see that I had to stretch the 3/4 hose alot. I can't wait to run it and see if it leaks---it better not. Once again great mod.:lol:

B

BajaRulez

Where can I find this blue silicon hose? I searched online but no luck. Thanks!

REDLIGHT

Let me tell you a little story....This is the worst mod that I have ever done. I have tried 5 different types of hose and nothing will last for even one tank. When I went to bajafest, I put a piece of copper tube, 3/4 on one end and 1/2 inch on the other, like a funnel, this was over the header and into the pipe. Then I put it inside a rubber hydraulic hose rated for 400 degrees and wrapped the hose in a piece of metal. It didn't even last one tank, and the exhaust could not even touch the rubber hose. But the hose burning up did make for an impressive smoke show during the EDM qualifier. I also did this mod to Ryeguys rear dom. Now we both have rear doms that are junk unless we can get them welded back together. I hope nobody else has any thoughts of making their own V-2 dom out of a V-1 dom.

Sorry Ron had to tell what happened to us, if your hose is holding up then you are one lucky guy.