SlammerRC's Exhaust Stud Mod

SlammerRC

Media
Studded the exhaust bolts on "Skunk Metal".

This Baja has an Oneill Brothers 29cc motor and a DDM dominator V1 pipe.
-----------------------------------------------

Bolts
I used the same bolts that fasten the front top a-arm to the steering knuckle.
They are the same thread and plenty long enough.
note I do not use the X-port.

I ran a nut up on each bolt all the way to the head.
Next even though it is said that the red thread lock will burn out, I went ahead and used it.
After installing the bolts I left it to sit overnight and cure.

Fast forward to the next day...
I ran the nut down to the head and took a cutoff wheel and cut the head of the bolt off.
I used a black sharpie marker to color the end of the bolts.
Now by removing the nut I cleaned up the threads where the bolt head had been removed.

Nuts and Washers
The pipe is very close to the studs, I taped the pipe flat on each side next to were the studs will be.
Then took two #6 washers to the grinder and ground down one side of the washer so it was flat and would slide onto the stud; flat side against the pipe.

Installing the Header
On this pipe I cut the pipe at a predetermined location (straightest part exiting the head) and made a two piece pipe and header out of it.
I flared both cut ends of the pipe so the hose would not easily slide off.
I did this by taking pliers and bending out the lip of the pipe and header about 1/8" all the way around.
Not too much or the hose will be difficult to install.
I then bolted the header to the head using the homemade washers, a lock washer and nut.
If you use a locknut make sure it is not the nylon type, the nylon will melt and no more locknut.
This is why I chose to use a lock washer and nut.

Hose Joint
I had the local auto parts store order the Gates high temp silicon hose to be used as the coupling.
I used a hose claps to secure the hose to the pipe on each end.

Conclusion
I've put a tank and a half through it since doing this mod and have had no problems with the bolts coming loose.
I also feel by cutting the pipe and adding the flex joint the pipe is now able to take impacts without bending the pipe or busting the head off the motor.
I can remove the rear of the exhaust pipe without unbolting it from the motor.
I can take the engine out of the Baja without removing the header from the engine.

I apologize for not taking pictures of this in process.
I hope you are able to see the work from these photos.
If and when I remove the pipe I will take some more photos of the stud and washer.

Inertia Racing Products

nice job Ron,that should end the problem of the bolts backing out for those who use this pipe.

this needs to be a sticky guys,this should work on most pipes.as far as mounting goes.

as far as red loctite goes,i have used it on head studs for 410cu and 430cu engines and never had an issue,just let it cure.

Last edited:

SlammerRC

Media
I did the header mod to another buggy, "Stunk Junkie" about the same time.
This one is running the stock 23cc with a Jet Pro V2 pipe.
It's a basher so I thought I would just show Skunk Metal, since it's a lot cleaner.
I think you have a good point with doing this to different pipes, I'll stud this one soon.
So to show the versatility of the header mod here are some pictures of the mod on the JPv1.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

REDLIGHT

How long have you been a rocket scientist?:laugh: That is the best and smartest mod I have seen in a long time. I have so much problem with header bolts that I drilled and use wire on mine, and they still leak. I know what I am doing next. Are you noticing any difference with the performance of the pipe with this mod? I'm willing to take a small loss for this mod. Genius just simply genius.:balloon:

SlammerRC

Media
Last edited:

SlammerRC

Media
Slammer, didn't GBE did the studs for exhaust bolts 1st??
My GBE dual side bleed has studs. What's your point, I did not say I invented it, I am just helping give a little data to guys that want to do the mod too.

If you want to get technical on who "did" the studs first -- The Detroit Diesels engines I used to work on ALL have/had exhaust studs. I know for a fact the inline Detroit came out in 1938 and the V motors came out in 1957.

So I ask you again, what's your point?

deznuts84

So I ask you again, what's your point?

Slammer, I was just saying that "GBE" was the 1st to do this on a "baja"... I'm sure that some people don't know this so its good that your posting it... kinda like the Modified brake mod (the 2 little springs deal) he posted it 1st (on this forum), ...same kinda deal (some people missed that post ,then you posted it)

But hey we are all here to help each other ,that what makes this forum the best around

SlammerRC

Media
Slammer, I was just saying that "GBE" was the 1st to do this on a "baja"... I'm sure that some people don't know this so its good that your posting it... kinda like the Modified brake mod (the 2 little springs deal) he posted it 1st (on this forum), ...same kinda deal (some people missed that post ,then you posted it)

But hey we are all here to help each other ,that what makes this forum the best around
deznuts84, I was not trying to take credit for any mod, just trying to help fellow Baja guys out like all senior member should.

There is so much information here at HBF, it's often difficult to locate. Our goal is to be helpful to our members and I'm guessing that was your intent as well.

I for one am going to keep up with the objective of the forum.

......S

deznuts84

deznuts84, I was not trying to take credit for any mod, just trying to help fellow Baja guys out like all senior member should.

There is so much information here at HBF, it's often difficult to locate. Our goal is to be helpful to our members and I'm guessing that was your intent as well.

I for one am going to keep up with the objective of the forum.

......S
Kinda like what I said

"But hey we are all here to help each other ,that what makes this forum the best around"

sinfull

Have you run this yet. Did the tubing melt or anything like that?????? I am looking at buying a cheap rear DOM v1 and want to do this. only worry is the silicon tubing melting.

logon69

Have you run this yet. Did the tubing melt or anything like that?????? I am looking at buying a cheap rear DOM v1 and want to do this. only worry is the silicon tubing melting.
Off hand i do not know the melting point of a silicone hose.

What I can offer is that a silicone hose is the repair for the air tubes to Catalytic converters on 1/1 cars. An automotive cat reaches temps well over 500 degrees and that is no where near the operating range of our little 1/5 cars! So the tube will hold up just fine from my experience!

SlammerRC

Media
I've got about 2 tanks on each buggy after doing the mod. No problems yet. I'll certainly keep you posted.