SlammerRC’s BRAKE mod

adolf hamster

right well ive got round to installing the pen spring, slammer is right, the brake spring is certainly capable of pushing the pads apart but it does put a lot of strain on the servo that isn't needed, the pen spring is much less of a strain but its enough to keep the pads apart

SlammerRC

Media
Excellent sir. I'm happy to hear you have brakes again.

Thanks for testing the spring.

One last thing, it would be great information -- Let us know your brake setup.
servo, pads, block, linkage, rear brace....

adolf hamster

Excellent sir. I'm happy to hear you have brakes again.

Thanks for testing the spring.

One last thing, it would be great information -- Let us know your brake setup.
servo, pads, block, linkage, rear brace....
servo is an ace ds1015 14kg torque, pads and everything else is stock, i won't be able to run it for a while but i can see it being a lot better than the brake spring but i'll let you know if it makes a noticeable difference to the braking :)

adolf hamster

alright then, i have finally got a run with the new springs and i must say it makes a huge difference. previously i would have to full brake and even then it wasn't much more stopping power than the resistance in the drivetrain, now with the less stiff springs it can lock the wheels completely.

the only difference that has been made is now i am running hostile mx's instead of the hpi plastic stuff but i'm sure you'll agree that the mx's have more grip. so i'm pretty much certain, use a pen spring!

baja_patient

What i'm wandering is... how come hpi dont include little things like this from the factory? I mean it costs next to nothing... even on a large scale product consignment, especially on a large scale product consignment...

The same thing goes for the various places (front/rear wheelhubs and clutchbell) that are in dire need for shimming!! (Thanx btw TFE for the shimkit, simple, precise and effective).

Everything else is great :D

Will hopefully be driving for the first time next week when the build is completed and all my radio gear and batteries are here :D:D:D

oh yeah n will be doing the pen spring mod for sure! cheers for that also.

paco62

Just put in the HPI HD Brake plate, spring mod and the fuel tube to replace the brake spring. I used Losi Micro-T firm springs and it seems to work fine with the stock servo, though I've yet to set it up and test it in the field. On the shop table, the stock servo easily moves everything 2-4mm.

A little disappointed with the HPI brake plate requiring set screws to attach the posts. Mine didn't tighten very well and I had to sort of force them cockeyed to get them to hold the posts in tight. Not sure why they felt that was necessary. I put red locktite on them and will monitor.

Monsterman

MonstermanHBF
Staff member
Media
Just put in the HPI HD Brake plate, spring mod and the fuel tube to replace the brake spring. I used Losi Micro-T firm springs and it seems to work fine with the stock servo, though I've yet to set it up and test it in the field. On the shop table, the stock servo easily moves everything 2-4mm.

A little disappointed with the HPI brake plate requiring set screws to attach the posts. Mine didn't tighten very well and I had to sort of force them cockeyed to get them to hold the posts in tight. Not sure why they felt that was necessary. I put red locktite on them and will monitor.
I would of went with BLUE not RED

paco62

+1
sometimes blus is hard enough to remove, never mind the red!
Guess I can do that next time since one of the pins came out. I think maybe I had a piece with sloppy set holes. I am the guy who could reach into a bin of 1000 flashlights and pick the only one that doesn't work... :blink:

DarkSonny

Guess I can do that next time since one of the pins came out. I think maybe I had a piece with sloppy set holes. I am the guy who could reach into a bin of 1000 flashlights and pick the only one that doesn't work... :blink:
:blink:I thought I was the only one with that kind of luck?
I feel your pain brutha!