SlammerRC’s BRAKE mod

Lobber

Used the spring from the linkage, preformed this mod while I charged for the first time, really helps eliminate drag

Baja Storm

Did the pen mod also on baja 2. however....

found sometimes a pen spring may not be strong enough to push the pads back (obviously depends on the springs) - particularly if the brakes are new and the cam sticks (and stock bushes are used instead of bearings eg. as on some of the upgraded brake kits). It may loosen up but have not run this baja as yet.

Anyway, the spring which has been removed from the back of the linkage and replaced with fuel tube does the job perfect. It is a strong spring, strong enough to even force the cam back if it does sticks. The movement has a nice feel to it too.

Ideal perhaps if youre running with an upgraded throttle servo - maybe fine even with stock.

SlammerRC

Media
Did the pen mod also on baja 2. however....

found sometimes a pen spring may not be strong enough to push the pads back (obviously depends on the springs) - particularly if the brakes are new and the cam sticks (and stock bushes are used instead of bearings eg. as on some of the upgraded brake kits). It may loosen up but have not run this baja as yet.

Anyway, the spring which has been removed from the back of the linkage and replaced with fuel tube does the job perfect. It is a strong spring, strong enough to even force the cam back if it does sticks. The movement has a nice feel to it too.

Ideal perhaps if youre running with an upgraded throttle servo - maybe fine even with stock.
All you need is to keep the pads apart. If the pen spring does not have enough pressure it can be stretch out to make it stronger. It's better to stretch the pen spring a little than to cut it longer.

I'm going to look into the original spring off the brakes like you guys are talking about. It just seems like it has too big of a diameter. ...S

SlammerRC

Media
More Photos

OK, I have not checked out the Losi spring yet but if it looks and is the same size as the pen spring I'm about to show you then I would recommend it.

I DO NOT recommend using the original spring being replaced by the fuel tube. The brake spring is to big in diameter and more importantly it is too stiff. The pen spring is much softer and it has the right spacing between coils.

This is the click type pen I am referring too.

This spring.....

As you can see the silver pen spring is a perfect fit. Notice how far apart the coils are. If there are too many coils the spring can not compress. The thin black spring above the silver one is off the throttle, it will not fit and the coils are way too close, no crush room.

I happened to have one of my bashers apart in the shop. This is a look see from underneath the rear plate.

Here is another tip for you, I use garden wire to keep certain bolts and brackets together.

As you can see, the spring has been cut into about thirds. If you cut it a little short just stretch the spring a little. All you want it to do is keep the pads apart, it's NOT a return spring.

And one last shot of the brake system and my servo of choice.

Hope this help you out. ...Ron

Baja Storm

All you need is to keep the pads apart. If the pen spring does not have enough pressure it can be stretch out to make it stronger. It's better to stretch the pen spring a little than to cut it longer.

I'm going to look into the original spring off the brakes like you guys are talking about. It just seems like it has too big of a diameter. ...S
I DO NOT recommend using the original spring being replaced by the fuel tube. The brake spring is to big in diameter and more importantly it is too stiff. The pen spring is much softer and it has the right spacing between coils.

As you can see, the spring has been cut into about thirds. If you cut it a little short just stretch the spring a little. All you want it to do is keep the pads apart, it's NOT a return spring.
And one last shot of the brake system and my servo of choice.
I would have to agree and disagree:)

Firstly I have been using a pen spring perfectly well on baja 1 for over a year with no probs, as many others have.

Secondly, why is the stock linkage spring too big? It does not touch the rotors and the slightly larger diameter give a nice footprint against the pads to push against.
I agree the stock throttle servo and your 'servo of choice' which are around the 133oz mark may struggle with this spring. However for most of the digital servos in use here(at 200 to 400oz+), the spring will pose no problem whatsoever.

Personally I would rather have a stronger spring in the knowledge that it will 'return' the pads quickly when the brakes are released, and a servo capable of the task (I am running a HS7955).

As I stated in my post, I wasn't sure whether the stock servo was up to the task.

The reason I chose to use the stock spring in favour of the pen spring, was after trying the pen springs, found they were too weak - for the reasons mentioned in my op.

At the end of the day - it personal pref.:chef:

Sparky

I too did this mod after seeing your first post about it Slammer. Simple and effective. Best of all it's free. Everyone has a pen laying around their house somewhere.

adolf hamster

i have been using the original spring on mine for a while, maybe your right seeing as i seem to get little to no braking [even on a good servo]. i will try the pen spring and see if it makes a difference or not

SlammerRC

Media
i have been using the original spring on mine for a while, maybe your right seeing as i seem to get little to no braking [even on a good servo]. i will try the pen spring and see if it makes a difference or not
Yes sir, please check the pen spring.

Try it and give me an unbiased opinion.....