Running synthetic oil

gizmousa

When using synthetic oil guys that put a lot of run time on these Zenoah style engines will notice that there is oil being burned below the ring on the piston. This is caused by a bad ring seal from the synthetic oil not allowing the ring to seal properly. What you see in this situation is burnt oil and gasses being forced past the ring from the high pressure combustion in the cylinder. Because of the oil the ring is not allowed to do it's job of sealing and the intense heat that is being pushed past the ring is still burning the fuel and oil past the ring. With some synthetic oils this then starts to leave burnt oil residue on the side of the piston and some will not. The really bad part about all of this is that it is actually pushing a small amount of burnt oil and contaminated gasses back into the crankcase and mixing with the very valuable fresh incoming charge of fuel, air and oil. Remember once that oxygen is burnt in the combustion process it is now dead and will not com-bust again and it contains no energy producing characteristics. So if this goes past your ring and into the crankcase eventually it will make it's way back up the transfer ports and into the combustion chamber again where it will be taking up very important space that should be for a fresh charge and again reduce power output. Think about how much this can hurt power when it is happening at 291 times per second or 17,500 RPM. Then think about the only thing we have protecting our engines is that fresh charge of oil, fuel and air that will now be mixing with oil that has already been burnt in the combustion chamber. I don't think the burnt oil is a good mix with the fresh oil that is supposed to be protecting your bearings, rod and piston.

Now you have something to consider when you think that it can't possibly be the synthetic oil causing the problems that some of these guys are having.

gizmousa

Guys,
I hate to go against the grain with all the oil comments, but if you do not have a engine with a steel liner that has been honed then I would highly advise staying away from the synthetic oil. I can not stress enough how good the Mercury Quicksilver is for Zenoah type engines. I choose to not get into all the aspect of oils because we will have all the internet google surfers come on here and let us know how much they know. I have had numerous customers call to tell me there engines were not running well and when I asked what oil it was synthetic. I then have to explain what is going on and replace the ring, then I normally get the call back telling me that the difference is night and day and that it can't possibly just have been the oil. With the way these cylinders are made the Synthetic oil is actually to good and will not allow the ring to seal properly and you will get blow-by past the ring and lose power. I have built a lot of Zenoah engines and have repaired more then I can count. I can tell what engines are running Quicksilver when I take the apart by the way the engine looks when I get it apart. I have nothing to gain by giving this advise, I am just trying to help you guys out with some good information. If we just follow a few basic instructions these engines will last a long time even with the way we race them. The quicksilver will leave a little carbon on top of your piston but if your engine is tuned right it is very minimal. It just works well for these engines plain and simple. Before this post is over you will here about all kinds of different oils and how great they are. In our area we race and play all year round and I have tried everything from the exotic stuff to the cheap stuff and can honestly say that the Quicksilver is hands down the best for our application.

banshee

Prob dumb question Bruce, but this what you recommend on rcmk twin as well? Need to get some oil and if this is stuff will pick it up.

Kbracing96

Interesting... Do you happen to know if the Quick silver will mix with Methanol? I'm going to try Meth in my CY29RC with a 499 carb and 18:1 competition dome. I ordered an OBR full mod meth long block, but haven't gotten it yet. They recommended Castor 927, so I bough a half gal of it, but I already have a quart of the Quick Silver too. Gonna play with the motor that was in the buggy when I bought first. I'm always interested in peoples options as these buggy's are brand new to me! :)

jbooker82

Interesting... Do you happen to know if the Quick silver will mix with Methanol?
I doubt it because it is non synthetic and non caster oil

Maxima 927, Klotz Supertechniplate, Klotz Benol, Klotz Techniplate, and I belive Redline will mix with Methanol. Klotz Benol is 100% non synthetic benol caster oil with no synthetic oils. Klotz SuperTechniplate, and Maxima 927 are caster and synthetic blends.

xTxMILLZ

Guys,
I hate to go against the grain with all the oil comments, but if you do not have a engine with a steel liner that has been honed then I would highly advise staying away from the synthetic oil. I can not stress enough how good the Mercury Quicksilver is for Zenoah type engines. I choose to not get into all the aspect of oils because we will have all the internet google surfers come on here and let us know how much they know. I have had numerous customers call to tell me there engines were not running well and when I asked what oil it was synthetic. I then have to explain what is going on and replace the ring, then I normally get the call back telling me that the difference is night and day and that it can't possibly just have been the oil. With the way these cylinders are made the Synthetic oil is actually to good and will not allow the ring to seal properly and you will get blow-by past the ring and lose power. I have built a lot of Zenoah engines and have repaired more then I can count. I can tell what engines are running Quicksilver when I take the apart by the way the engine looks when I get it apart. I have nothing to gain by giving this advise, I am just trying to help you guys out with some good information. If we just follow a few basic instructions these engines will last a long time even with the way we race them. The quicksilver will leave a little carbon on top of your piston but if your engine is tuned right it is very minimal. It just works well for these engines plain and simple. Before this post is over you will here about all kinds of different oils and how great they are. In our area we race and play all year round and I have tried everything from the exotic stuff to the cheap stuff and can honestly say that the Quicksilver is hands down the best for our application.
well i ran a half tank so far with the syn... i am going to pour the rest out and use the oil you recomended... hope i didnt do to much damgage to my brand new motor. thanks for the info!

r6er00

i'm interested in knowing your thoughts on the Maxima 927 as well. I run that in my stock CY26, and it seems to run fine (no blowby on the bottom of the piston), but i plan on running your 30.5 beast this fall/winter and want to know if the 927 is still ok. I believe it's a semi-synth/castor blend (Am i correct?)?

GT4point6

Bruce did state that the Quicksilver is the only oil he has ever run. 927 isn't a full synthetic oil, shouldn't have the issues as stated in the OP. OBR recommends it for their motors, wouldn't think they would if it wasn't a good oil.

r6er00

that was my thought as well, and i'm glad to hear OBR recommends it. When i get my Gizmo, I think i'll break the motor in with the Quicksilver and then after a gallon, i'll switch over to the Castor 927.

evildomain

I'm running my Gizmo 30.5cc Full mod Zenoah motor & my wife's Zenoah 4-bolt 30.5cc on Quicksilver Premium mixed at 16:1 now and they both run great. I'm getting smoother idles from both. You do get more smoke but that's no big deal. I had a hard time finding the oil, turns out Autozone carries it and costs $4.99 for a 16oz bottle. Less than half the cost of Castor 927....I do like saving money...:D