Rebuilding Baja pull starter 101

Ridilen

Has this ever happened to you. :cry: Let fix it so we don’t have to spend any more money on them.

Lay out the pulley and spring like below. Remember to attach the spring to the pulley.

Alternate your thumbs around the spool and use your fingers to put the spring in place. BE CAREFUL. The spring may pop out on you. After a few times trying you will get the hang of it.

Your starter spool should look like this now.

After winding the rope around the spool, you have to make sure the spring will catch. Note the two areas below. When the spring is placed properly it will catch on the housing automatically. If the spring will not catch then it has to be slightly bent in. DO NOT JUST BEND THE SPRING. The steel will snap. I have used a small propane torch to slightly heat up the end of the spring to allow it to bend without breaking. Slightly bend it inward. If you have broken the end of the spring use the method above to create a new catch.

Remember to lift the end of the spring from the spool before heating it. We don’t want to melt the spool.

Coil up the rope on the spool the correct way as much as you can and assemble the two pieces. Now we add the spring and such back on. Do them in the order numbered below. Do not worry and the slack in the rope yet.

Pull the started several times to the full length to allow the rope to seat itself. You will notice that now you have even more slack.

By turning the spool by hand so there is a lot of slack, you can now catch the rope with a pair of pliers and bring it around the spool. When you slowly release the spool all slack should be taken up. If necessary repeat this again, but only make it tight enough to pull all the rope in.

I have never used oil or WD40 in my starter. I find that Dry Graphite Lube works best.

Hope this helps. Now go and have fun. :D

JoiseyDog

You should write instruction manuals for different companies, that was just awsome and very discriptive.. two thumbs up :wink: :wink:

RC_King

Fantastic post Ridilen and will help out a lot of members. I did it just like that but took me ages to fiqure it out and wished id had a guide like this to save time.

thedeeredog

Had the same problem myself about a month ago. Took me awhile to figure out how to re-assemble but ended up with your same procedure.
My OUTERWEARS cover has just turned up so hopefully it will stay a lot cleaner inside and no more pulling the starter off al the time..

cyrus

Ridilen,thumbs up on the comprehensive info about starter...We needed that in place to help with the starter probs we been havin.Im also waitin for outerwear sock to help keep the crap at bay..Nothin like strippin the buggy when your out there covered in mud n junk..messy affair..Top work :)

DenverBajaGuy

Thank you for creating that, I am suprised HPI didn't have anything like this in the manual. I think mine is already needing some repair, only 20 mins out of the box and on the road. Can't express enough how important a pre-filter is now that I've learned my lesson.

Speedy

:*( i dont believe ridilen frequents the board anymore. (we will remember him through his rebuild)

where have all the canucks gone? long time passing. when will they ever learn when will theyyy evvvverrrr leaarrn.:*(

Gleebs

I tried oil at first, but found that made dirt stick even better and faster so I decided on graphite for a dry lube. I have not had starter problems since. Great thread.

Ridilen

Hey Speedy,

Don't worry I am still here, been busy with work and getting married. Been a while since I have been on. I am always ready to try and help other people on here. If there is some way I can help, you can be sure I will not have problem writing something up.

If I can write procedures for the nuclear industry, I can write one for the Baja.