Rc heli

zignzag

Thinking about getting a electric rc heli. What's a good one to start with. I've seen a few in the shopping malls at those small venders that you see as u walk through a mall so thought they would be fun to start with, not those tiny helix but ones that are at least a foot or so longer. Then I was thinking of a better rc grade rtr heli that's maybe a little bigger. Your opinions welcome and thanks

jbooker82

I would highly suggest staying away from the mall copters. They teach you to fly wrong because the controls are not the same as a hobby grade heli. On the mall ones the throttle stick on the LH side is rigid sided to side, and only the RH stick has forward, back, left and right. The turning motion on the mall heli (left and right) is on the RH stick, and on the hobby ones its on the LH stick. The hobby grade helli's left and right on the RH stick make it side step Left or Right. The mall helicopters don't have that ability because they don't have servo's that run the pitch of the blades via the swash plate.

Chadkillzone

Not sure what you're budget is here either. But my advice would be to get a flight sim first. Phoenix now has a package that comes with a dx6i for about $270. Not the greatest controller I would get but opens up you're options for a smaller blade bnf like 130 or mcpx bl Imo. Bigger bird's like 550 and up size are more stable in wind and hover and quite honestly are able to easily kill you or remove limbs. And unless you have unlimited money to spend on a crash, I would look at max a 450 size with training gear. But you grab the gimbals for the first time time and you have a tendency to freeze and panic really quick. Here are a few pics from yesterday at the air show
(not a good starter size imo) I just hate to see you dive into a big helicopter and then regret you're decision quickly after. Like said above largest I would recommend would be a 450 with wood blades?

AmosMoses

As said above, steer clear of the mall helis! They are junk unless you're not going to be serious about the hobby.
A flight sim is definitely the best place to start without a doubt. It will give you a good idea if the hobby is for you or not. It will also save you a ton of money!
Flying helis is much harder than it looks. Most people who try it give up pretty quick. It's not like a baja where you can bash it on a 10 foot jump, land on the lid, then keep driving. With a heli, you just bump the blades, you break something. It gets costly.
I don't mean to scare you away, flying is a blast and when you learn to fly, it's very rewarding.
That said, I would recommend (I might get bashed for this) a Walkera min cp or their 120 D02. You can fly them indoors and they are pretty tough little birds. They do come rtf also. The biggest problem is that any time you need parts, you will have to order them.
If you are going to get serious about the hobby, a kit that you have to build is a great idea! Trex 250 or 450 by Align are quality birds. Building one will give you a good understanding of how the bird works and really help you understand it.
All that being said, go buy a good flight sim first and see if it's for you or not. :cool:

Last edited:

zignzag

Thanks, I've heard they are hard to get used to fly. What's the average cost on a heli to get a kit or rtf up and flying in electric. Really not planning on getting one yet but just looking for some general info and doing a little research. Right mow I don't have a computer and I don't think my sisters computer is capable of handling a simulator. She has a apple which is a nice one but I'm sure its not capable of handling a sim and I've looked at most flight sims that don't or are limited for use with apple.

Chadkillzone

What was said above a kit is a great way to go so you know how to repair you r heli. Lets face it you are going to hit earth probably within the first few flights. Not to put you down in anyway its the nature of the hobby. And hopefully you don't crash that bad to where you need to re-kit your heli (smaller size is nicer here less $$) If you do not have a computer to work with a flight sim. I would do a search in your area for a club and if your going to take the plung join their field (and most likley they do require AMA memberships to fly as a member) some even offer where a new people/pilots can take a practice one up with a buddy box to save you a crash. This is nice because if you do not like it your out nothing other then time. Plus if you do buy your own even a rtf does not always mean rtf. Someone at the club can help you in setting it up correctly for you. And also some may take it for a test flight as well (depending on the individuals) As for a rtr blade has 450 size that have the dx6i included with it. And I would pick up a bnf Mcpx brushless or 130 to practice on (parts are plenty for blade products witch is nice) These little guys are twitchy and when you do take off with these ones, your 450 will feel like a Cadillac in the air lol. As far as cost, that's tough a blade 450 is around say $500 smaller ones like I said above $230ish on all. Plus a rule of thumb I use is divide what you just spent in half. And that's going to be parts/batteries your going to need for the most part IMO.

zignzag

Ya was looking at a blade 450 rtf seems nice with what's all included. Rc works tornado looks ok to from banana.com but some people don't like that company, banana that is, lol! But the heli looks ok. All depends on what my local rc shops have but I do like the blade 450. Good advice from yous all and thanks.

Monsterman

MonstermanHBF
Staff member
Media
I'd say go with a SIM and an Eflite heli.. Many hopbby shops stock them and spares and you can find plenty of them on line..

zignzag

Ya, the sim is a real good idea to get used to controlling a heli. I've tryed those store bought small heli's and they drove me bananas, wasn't long before I tossed them in the garbage so I figured a hobby grade 4ch heli would be the way to go to start in a small size or go to a 450 and learn basic flight. Really not sure now though as I've had bad experience with those store bought heli's and I know they're crap now compared to a hobby grade type. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

zignzag

What's the difference between a 4 and 6ch heli. Just kinda curious. I would guess its for 2 more servos for flying or accessories but not sure

AmosMoses

What's the difference between a 4 and 6ch heli. Just kinda curious. I would guess its for 2 more servos for flying or accessories but not sure
A 4 channel is a fixed pitch. Meaning that the motor speed controls the lift of the heli. A 6 channel is a collective pitch. That means that the blades can move and control the lift.
A 4 channel fixed pitch can't fly inverted. A 6 channel can. They are 2 very different animals.
I'm sure someone can explain it better but that's the gist of it.

zignzag

Ok, thanks. Seen a few vids on a 4 & 6 ch heli but only have seen 5 servos I think on a 6ch so was confused a bit other than being able to trim the heli's blades from the transmitter, thanks