Pipe advice for me!!

ryeguy

Ok guys I have a OBRO 27.2 fm lr with some sweet porting just for my oval car

..... My question is what pipe and gear combo will give me the best performance on a tri oval that has about 155ft of straight.
I have ran a T can on my WC 29.5 at HOSTILEFEST with great success due to how smooth it made the power.
I also have a CPI bb but I don't think it's the right pipe for this LR.
I will be running 18/56 to start with and have the options to go up or down one tooth.

Please any and all info will be a great help!!

Thanks
Ryan

Last edited:

logon69

IMO you need to focus on putting back some low end power back in that engine. Personally I'd try an original side victory pipe or a torpedo. The CPI may work well also. You have to try em all with some different gears to see what happens.

TeK

I have never tried a VRC but I use a Torpedo on the same motor and it's freaking fantastic. It's great for the Oval out here.

itzantm4n

I've tried both the vrc pro and torpedo pipe on my 29.5lr. The pro pipe has about a 3 second lag before it gets on the pipe with 19/55 gearing. The torpedo pipe has no lag. The pro pipe gives more revs than the torpedo but according to my tach I only lost about 1000rpm between the pro and torpedo. Pipe choice would depend on your driving style when you are racing. If you can keep stay in the high rpm rang consistently I would go with the pro pipe. If you want to power out of the turns I would go with the torpedo.

bajaman78

The vrc pro pipe has about a 3 second lag before it gets on..
That is true.
Pro pipe dont give best performance on the low, but it is sick on the top revs.
You might want to try the bigbore, that has sick low end power.
For sure torpedo is also very good choise.

matty5b

Have tried the CPI Bigbore on this motor and it lacked power. The Torpedo was really good on this motor as was the VRC Bigbore. The thing with both of these pipes and the motor being a long rod it doesn't seem to sound that quick but run it against a motor that does and see what happens. Love both pipes.

torn body

Hey Ryan, IDK if you remember how my car ran at Rob’s last race or not… I was running a FM 27.2 with a SB CPI pipe. (It wasn’t a LR engine) the engine pulled 19/55 on the oval with no problem and it still rev’ed.

dscjester

I agree with logon. The LR motors lose some lowend, I had a 27.2 Fullmod LR (4mm) from another builder with the CPI BB and it was a nice combo running 17/57. But was on a Offroad track but would have been nice with 18/56. I would give the BB a try, the can may kill rpm. Are you willing to try another pipe?

ryeguy

I agree with logon. The LR motors lose some lowend, I had a 27.2 Fullmod LR (4mm) from another builder with the CPI BB and it was a nice combo running 17/57. But was on a Offroad track but would have been nice with 18/56. I would give the BB a try, the can may kill rpm. Are you willing to try another pipe?
I am not really concerned about killing some rpms due to the fact that this track is not really that big the run line is about 460 ft.
Yes def will try other pipes and gears I just want the best pipe for motor and track then play with gears.

Last edited: