my ongoing "DIY" build

MCRIPPPer

well, i recently acquired a mini milling machine, and have made a few parts for my baja. i will post them in this thread when i make a new one or modify my baja. the first part i made was a front shock tower. it took a while to build, but it turned out pretty good.

next, i made a rear arm brace. the stock aluminum piece doesn't fit well due to being stamped, not machined. and mine was now 3 years old and worn out. i decided to throw in some anti squat while i was at it. if this one ever wears out, i will just get a phatdad anti squat because it takes a while to make these lol

then i lightened my flywheel. i milled off all the fins on the front, and milled the back ones half way down. it feels a lot lighter, and left a huge pile of metal chips on my mill.

stay tuned to see what else i mod and make.

MCRIPPPer

im not to worried about it. it still has some fins. i also have trimmed should, and no windows, so the head is pretty much in direct cool wind when its driving. it only needs the fins when it is idling and not moving. in the pic of the shock tower, you can see 90% of the head is exposed.

Monsterman

MonstermanHBF
Staff member
Media
Nice work dude I really actually like the look of that Front Shock Tower 8)
Rear Brace/Plate looks good too.. Nice work :D

MCRIPPPer

just bashed it for a while and the parts worked great. the lightened flywheel didn't do much, but i did switch back to the stock can, so maybe its effect was not noticeable.

MCRIPPPer

yes i make them myself. unfortunately, it takes too long for me to make the parts to sell them, since it is all on a manual machine. if i come up with something simpler to produce, i might start selling a few things, but at the moment it is not realistic for me.

i did some more modding today. drilled the clutch bell and lightened the aluminum carrier a little. also cut some of the spur plate thinner in hopes of lightning it. if it cracks, it is not too much to replace.

MCRIPPPer

you mean like the phatdad or gbe one? iv already got a phatdad one, so I'm not going to make one. i did mod the phatdad one tho. i cut down the two posts a few mm to get it sitting right on the fan cover. in theory, this should make it stronger and more rigid. it looks way better too. il have to get a pic.

heres a pic of the other parts.

MCRIPPPer

countersunk the 2 screws below the engine that used to need that dumb washer. also cut a little out of the lower rear chassis to lighten it to some small degree.

MCRIPPPer

did some steering mods. made a support block similar to the threshold one. but mine i think is more functional due to it being "keyed" onto the steering arm with flats and a set screw.

i made the connecting linkage a while ago, and cleaned it up on the mill.

IETZR1S

did some steering mods. made a support block similar to the threshold one. but mine i think is more functional due to it being "keyed" onto the steering arm with flats and a set screw.

i made the connecting linkage a while ago, and cleaned it up on the mill.
+1.... I like what you did for the steering supports. Looks clean, professional and functional.