My 1st Baja Build Is A 5B

IETZR1S

05/29/2010
I needed a place to post for my 5B. This build has been under construction for the past 3 years. I will post up in this thread at a fast forward speed until it is cought up with the 5B. Here is what my 5B looked like in the beginning of my Baja addiction.

Last edited:

IETZR1S

08/10/2010
Here is my 5B in street trim back in 2010. Notice the Garmin attached to the roof. Lot's of miles logged and recorded. I had a OBR 27.2FM with a bsw 2 speed. I was running the VRC pro pipe. I had 19-55 1st gear with 23-51
2nd gear. My 5B was running roughly 66mph on tarmac.

Last edited:

IETZR1S

IETZR1S

11/14/2010
Back on Nov.14th 2010 my 5B was intentionally run over by an F-150. That F-150 sure was Ford tough vs. a 1/5 scale HPI Baja. I was doing speed runs on tarmac that day. My 5B was running 66-68mph on a tired OBR FM 27.2 with over 450 miles on it. My personal best was 72.5mph so far. From this point forward is where the Baja 5B starts to get serious. I learned a lot in my 1st 1500miles logged with a baja. GRP easy streets were my new best friend. Some streets are better than others, the key for speed runs is doing it with the motor on its peak.Weight of the baja now became important to me.
The OBR FM27.2 was purchased from TGN. This motor was a production piece that any body could have land up with. I had good speed, I got over 450 miles logged. I knew I had to have OBR rebuild it. They are a 25 minute drive with no traffic from my pad.

Last edited:

IETZR1S

11/23/2010
After the 5B was run over....I got seriously into my Baja program. My 5B is now going to get a new make over. I was tired of the mix matching of colors all over the place. It just looked to busy and I did not care for it. Here are some pics with my Zoni chassis leading the way for the new make over. New Hitec steering and throttle servos were installed. A new set of steering arms were also installed. I started using carbon fiber where I felt I could get away with it. Enjoy the pics.

Last edited:

IETZR1S

12/09/2010
The baja set up was changed again. I really wanted to get the weight down. I removed the Zoni Ti chassis to use it on My 2nd baja build. I replaced it with a scorpion alum lite weight chassis. The big weight saver was the LiFe battery. The lite weight battry really does have a short Life:cursing::cursing::cursing: I will bring this up later. I also installed IRP V1 Rod ends on the front steering. I removed the TR hd front shock tower for the TR shock tower brace. This item was a test. I had a feeling that one good baja fumble would end up in broken front end parts. I was right. The TR HD front shock tower went back one quickly. Right now the 5B was 25.8lbs dry no fuel on grp street tire.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXjxmN0mq8U&context=C3a676deADOEgsToPDskIm7UpgwaFddTTAOABicJcd[/ame]

Last edited:

IETZR1S

April 06,2011

I was running 59-60mph in grass on a regular time clock. I crashed with a dead Life Battery. The battery had an internal short and crapped out instantly. With no juice to power the servos .....I had a run away baja at 35-38mph. This was the second time the life battery crapped out. Killer-RC took care of the replacements. I had 2 LiFe batteries that lasted 2 months each. Took it out and switched back to a DDM hump back. No more battery problems for me. Another chassis is toast.

Last edited:

IETZR1S

04/16/2011

I was all ready lucky to have 1 Zoni Chassis, I got a gift from a forum member and it was a 2nd Zoni chassis. The 5B was now rocken another Ti chassis and a fresh paint job.

IETZR1S

04/29/2011
While playing in grass and doing speed runs there was some serious driver error. Misjudged and smacked a tree at a speed of over 60mph. Killed my new Zoni Chassis. I was so mad at myself for this:cursing::cursing::cursing::ph34r:

Last edited:

IETZR1S

05/10/2011

Installed my new chassis for the 5B. Carbon fiber from UberRc seemed to fit the build. I am very impressed with this chassis. It has seen the baja fumble at speeds of 65-75miles per hour. One time I walked over to get it with my eyes starting to water. The UberRc chassis was perfect.

IETZR1S

06/22/2011

Installed the OBR FM27.2LR in the 5B. It did everything My OBR Fm27.2 did just better. My 5B was typically running a solid 65mph in grass. I was not doing to much in the way of speed runs on tarmac as I Had the Twin Cylinder Baja that was doing the serious speed runs. The next few months were just fun baja time. Speeds in grass were going up. Here is 66+mph in grass with the OBR 27.2LR. The dog never had a chance.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJIrMDW2J9c&context=C36a163dADOEgsToPDskKbzlrKLkdAnlJ8UbXRI1WE[/ame]

11/01/2011
I removed my BSW 2 speed(19-55 & 23/51). Team OBR asked me to test their new 2 speed. Installed OBR/BBRC 2 speed in the 5B. I do like the wide selection of gears avail for the OBR 2 Speed. I bumped up to 20-54 1st and 24-50 2nd gears. Once again Speeds went up. This was from a grass speed run

Last edited:

IETZR1S

01/01/2012

After watching Mohamed AKA Sayyaaf run his Baja in the dunes....I had to try it. For the 1st time my Baja was sporting a new set of kicks. Ribs in the front with paddles on the rear. I was not set up for sand. I locked 2nd gear out so it would not shift. I did the best I could with my speed car in the sand. 20-54 is too much gear for the 27.2 under load in sand. I still had fun. The people in the Los Angles area do not like Baja's on the beach. People yelling at Joker93 and myself. Life gaurdes, Sheriff's and all hell broke lose for a couple bajas. We played and dashed, Had a couple red bulls while the cops were looking for two adults with RC cars. Baja's were tucked safely in the bed of my truck. We got away.
My 3rd baja build will be a sand 5B.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0x60N__GEQ&context=C38f5882ADOEgsToPDskIVa81Onvtb8GEwECk6BG0c[/ame]

Last edited:

drg007

Interesting story for a quest for speed.
What i like the most is the snap on tool box (lol)
What next in the agenda???