Modified RC Fuel Tank Install

Modified RC

Here is a pic of what the tanks come with, also included but not shown in the pic is a check valve and m4x.7 mounting screws.

First remove the 3 rubber grommets and the fuel line assembly from your stock Baja tank

Trim the return line to about 1 inch long, and trim the fuel pickup line to 2 1/4 inches long. Leave about 1/8 inch sticking out the top on both lines

Check to see that the filter will touch the tank lid as shown in the following pic, so when the car gets upsidedown the filter is in the fuel

Install fuel line assembly into the tank top, with the overflow line in the front and the fuel pickup line to the rear

Pull the hoses up a little and install a 90 deg fitting in each hose, aiming in the direction shown

Lube the lines with wd-40 or whatever you have around and push them down into place, it helps to also lightly pull the line from the inside as your pushing down from the outside.

Make sure the inside of the tank and tank top are clean, and assemble the top to the bottom as shown below.
With the 2 bolt clearance slots in the bottom section of the tank pointing toward you, the top section has 2 holes on the right and 1 hole on the left, as shown in the following pic.
Insert the 4 middle screws and snug them down evenly keeping the gap between the top and bottom sections fairly even

Then install the remaining corner screws and snug all the screws down, eyeball the gap between the top and bottom and try to keep it the same all around as you tighten the screws. Then install the 3 rubber mounting grommets from the stock tank in the 3 holes.

Cut lengths off the fuel line included with the tank.
Cut 2 pcs 3/4 inch long each and push them on the T fitting. Install the check valve with the blue end pointing down...This is very important, the blue end of the check valve must be pointing down.

Push the T fitting in place on the rear tank fitting and make sure the check valve is positioned straight up and down.
Then cut a 1 inch long pc of fuel line and run it from the T and install a plug in the end of the hose.
Cut a 2 inch long pc of fuel line and connect it to the front tank fitting, and install a plug in the end of the hose.
When done it will look like this:

Now you can slide the tank in the Baja, there is no need to remove the radio box, just remove the body clips on the radio box and lift it up out of the way.
The air filter can also stay on

Then install the mounting pins and body clips to the tank and radio box.
Using the stock leftover fuel line connect the front tank outlet to the top of the carb by the primer bulb.
Then connect the rear tank outlet to the bottom of the carb

Almost done now. Next is figuring out how and where you want the vent line from the check valve to run to, there are alot of possibilities with this and I included enough fuel line in the kit to do it many ways

This one I just ran it from the check valve up over the engine and used the upper mounting point on the flywheel cover (where most flags get mounted)
Use one of the included zip ties to secure the filter to the hose, use the included clamp(s) to secure the line to the flywheel cover.

Or you can run it from the check valve under the engine, and use the lower mounting lug on the flywheel cover to secure the clamp.

With skid plate and lower pods in place

There are alot of options for routing the vent line, included with the kit are extra 90 deg fittings so you can put a 90 deg fitting right above the check valve and run the hose sideways and down between the pull start and the lower side pod.
However you run vent the lines just remember to keep the check valve mounted vertical and with the blue end down.

You don't have to use the 90 degree fittings from the tank to the carb, you can run the lines straight up like they are stock, but I like the 90 deg fittings on there to keep the lines down low.

Here I drilled a hole in the chassis for the filling overflow line to go, you don't have to do this, again there are many options here and you can use the included 90 deg fittings to get the hose pointed down. You definitely want this hose pointed down though because when your filling the tank this hose will overflow letting you know the tank is full.

You will need some kind of fuel pump to fill these tanks, they make electric ones and hand operated ones. Just make sure the one you get is rated for use with gas (or gas and nitro). I picked this one up for about $18.00 and it's rated for gas and nitro fuel, but I won't be using the nitro fuel line that came with it....Have to get real gas fuel line (tygon, buna n, etc) to connect the hand pump to the 1 gallon gas can

Here is how it's filled
1-Remove the 2 plugs from the hoses
2-Connect the rear line(the one with the check valve) to the hand pump and fill it untill the front line overfows.
3-Instert the 2 plugs in the hoses and your done.

On this one I drilled 2 holes in the body and keep the hoses in the holes for a clean look

If you have any trouble just PM me or ask in this thread

Last edited:

Baja Storm

Extract from other thread Neil...
"Here is the newest product from Modified RC, these tanks are CNC machined from 6061 aluminum. Price will be around $140.00....:)

fourwheeler

If anybody is on the fence wondering if the tank is a worthy upgrade just look at this tutorial. Modifier is taking care of his customers before they even get the tank.

Very nice write up John....oh the tank ain't bad either:lol:

Monsterman

MonstermanHBF
Staff member
Media
This tank just looks better and better everytime I see it.. I still have to catch up on some of his other parts.. I guess its time to just place ONE BIG ORDER :D

jono0309

It holds 13 oz and the stock tank holds 25 or 26 so expect about half the runtime between fill ups.
i hope you dont mind me asking, but why is it so much smaller, looks like there is heaps of room left around that area where the tank brace is...
It looks incredible though, the whole kit looks great!...any chance of a billet radio box? Because since that may be in as much or even more danger to damage than the fuel tank since nose dives and head ons really bend up the chassis...

Modified RC

i hope you dont mind me asking, but why is it so much smaller, looks like there is heaps of room left around that area where the tank brace is...
It looks incredible though, the whole kit looks great!...any chance of a billet radio box? Because since that may be in as much or even more danger to damage than the fuel tank since nose dives and head ons really bend up the chassis...
I left that room by the tank brace open for another project that may or may not work...that's all I can say now. I really wasn't concerned with making it the same size as stock, I wanted to keep it small, light, and good looking. I don't mind refilling the tank every 20-25 minutes.

A billet radio box is on the list....but so are alot of other things so it will be awhile.

Modified RC

and why didnt you made the tank as the brace to the chassis so it would go way back ? i hope you make the 2nd version of this.
Because that would add to the total machine time and raise the price, besides that I don't think anyone has ever bent the gas tank brace before. Extending the tank lid to incorporate the gas tank brace would not add any needed extra strength. All the bent chassis I have seen are bent at the front, I have yet to see one bend anywhere else.

There are unlimited ways and shapes to make a gas tank, this is the way and shape I went with. It's impossible to please everyone with one design, because there are so many different ways to make these.

There won't be a second version, if I did that then someone else would ask for a third version, then someone a fourth version, etc.

I am happy with the end result and it sounds like the majority of people are too, so I think I did good with the design. Like I said before I can't please everyone with one tank design.

DIABLOTAC78

what i mean is if is made until the tankbrace then we have more fuel capacity i didnt mean that to make it stronger:lol:. anyway i like the design and probably buy one . your product is on my list this summer:laugh:

Modified RC

Will this work for those of use that want to take two inches off the frame?
I'm not positive but I don't think it will, 2 inches is alot. Maybe if you took 1 inch off the front and 1 inch off the back it MIGHT work but that would require alot more work to do it that way.

How are they shortening the frames, is it the rear of the main chassis they are cutting?