Mgm compro

satttheman

Hi guys my name is Rodney. Im thinking about getting a few MGM COMPRO escs. Do any of you guys run them? Have about of you guys ran them? Are any of you guys interested in running them? Any help is appreciated? Thx in advance! God Bless!

_paralyzed_

They are good esc's. They are way more expensive (and really no better) than what is available in the US. (MGM is in prague) The price and the back and forth shipping for any warranty repair keep most away from them.

Baja Snoopy

I know two guys from the german HPI Baja Forum who are running MGM on 10S in their Bajas...
Could give you links if you understand german...

OldGuyBL

I've been running an MGM on 12S with a Neu 2230 motor for over a year now with no problems. Also run a few on planes and helis. Pricey, but worth it. Order from here: http://www.icare-rc.com/

They are based in Canada and will handle all your returns and repairs with MGM in the Czech Republic. This reduces the lost in shipping risks as you send the ESC to them instead of overseas. The bad point, forget any technical support. The English language skills are not very good and if you have anything less than a perfect solder joint and/or unapproved connectors, the warranty will be refused. Dean's connectors are not acceptable and will void the warranty.

5htd

They are good esc's. They are way more expensive (and really no better) than what is available in the US. (MGM is in prague) The price and the back and forth shipping for any warranty repair keep most away from them.
Hi,
I have few of X-SERIES and they are much better than the others. If the repair is warranty I am sure they will refund you the money for shipping. Some of you also wrote that they have not any language skills and no support. This is quite funny because they have Skype support so you can ask them real time and of course in english. All e-mails I sent to them was answered within 24 hours maximum. This is incomparable with their competitors. I had to reply to this post because the information I read here are not correct. Great esc's with perfect support.
t.

OldGuyBL

I disagree. I stand by my statements. I have over 7 of their ESC's. The language skills are not perfect. LOL
They will NOT refund shipping on a warranty. This is from first hand experience.

5htd

I disagree. I stand by my statements. I have over 7 of their ESC's. The language skills are not perfect. LOL
They will NOT refund shipping on a warranty. This is from first hand experience.
Hi :) , why you have 7 of their esc's if they are same like their competitors and do not have any support and language skills :) ??? This information is not correct. They have online Skype support. I tried it few time and they helped me immediately and of course in english. So the information about language skills is NOT correct. In my opinion the MGM are best ESC's and the support is great and much better and faster than the "support" of their competitors.

For ordering I better recommend the RC Madness: http://www.rcmadness.com . They have 1/5 scale MGM escs in stock.

OldGuyBL

I like their ESC's and said so clearly in my post. I even recommended them so please do not put words in my mouth.

As for language, that is just your opinion. Your opinion is not a fact. I'm not trying to put you down, I'm just giving my thoughts so the people on this board can make informed choices.

Here's one thing you haven't mentioned at all. When they refuse the warranty due to "questionable solder joints". I have been bench soldering for 35 years. I started in the Air Force repairing avionic systems and have every soldering certificate you can imagine. I spent the last 15 years at Lockheed doing soldering for every component imaginable, including SMT board soldering repairs. You can imagine my surprise when they turned down a warranty and left me with an $800 brick.

Once again, I'm not trying to start any arguments. Just letting people know what my experiences are so they can make better choices. Sorry to be contentious, I hate discord on boards and at my age (62) I try to avoid arguments (except I'm married so no way to avoid them all)!:lol:
Anyway this will be my last post on the subject. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers!

5htd

I like their ESC's and said so clearly in my post. I even recommended them so please do not put words in my mouth.

As for language, that is just your opinion. Your opinion is not a fact. I'm not trying to put you down, I'm just giving my thoughts so the people on this board can make informed choices.

Here's one thing you haven't mentioned at all. When they refuse the warranty due to "questionable solder joints". I have been bench soldering for 35 years. I started in the Air Force repairing avionic systems and have every soldering certificate you can imagine. I spent the last 15 years at Lockheed doing soldering for every component imaginable, including SMT board soldering repairs. You can imagine my surprise when they turned down a warranty and left me with an $800 brick.

Once again, I'm not trying to start any arguments. Just letting people know what my experiences are so they can make better choices. Sorry to be contentious, I hate discord on boards and at my age (62) I try to avoid arguments (except I'm married so no way to avoid them all)!:lol:
Anyway this will be my last post on the subject. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers!

Hi again, firstly I want to write that I also hate discord on forums. That is the reason why I normaly do not reply to many non-sense posts that I see there. You wrote your opinion and I will do the same. As I wrote before their Skype support is great. Anyone can try and make own opinion about their english. I think that your experience with them is few years old. As I wrote before in my opinion the X-SERIES are the best ESC's available on the market and their support is incomparable with their competitors. I am sure that many guys who tried to contact other companies for some help or support will agree :)

joepapa

Gentlemen, the record must in fact be set straight here. I can't believe how some people will post things with no proof or evidence. MGM-Compro is a spectacular company to deal with. RcMadness is a dealer, and since I volunteer there, I can tell you the truth based on real facts. Every manufacturer of R/C speed controls has had issues. MGM is not one of them. Of all the major companies, Tekin, Castle, Novak, LRP, etc, MGM consistently continues to impress us with their over the top service and support, not to mention the most robust, versatile speed controls on the market. No one else has a unit that can handle the power that these units do.
Before RCmadness was a dealer, I was a customer to MGM. I can tell you that no other company in the history of the world impressed me more than in this example...

My Baja 5B, which ran on 12S, was the model. I sent MGM an email explaining that the car was sometimes cogging from a stop. In clear english, Martin Dvorsky replied, and asked me to send him the data log file. In 48 hours I received an email with a link to a new firmware that solved the issue! Throughout the 48 hours, Martin kept in close contact. Tell me another company thats going to do that!

Anytime I have had a physical issue with hardware was my fault, and returning the controller to MGM cost me $17 dollars and was returned 3 days after the received it. I was without the controller for about 3 weeks total. When I owned "other" controllers, I had found that the support was far from this impressive, as I beta tested my way through countless 1/8 scale controllers over the years...(literally 15 or more).

MGM's price is also simple to justify. For example, the Castle Mamba xL2 is $280 and handles HALF the voltage and half the current of the MGM. The Castle controller can only be used in a car/truck. The 25063 controller from MGM, works in everything, plane, boat , car...Heli. It has more features and programming capability than any other controller on the market. With all that value, its simple to see why its a few hundred more. You get SO much more.

Since the conversion for the Losi 5T was released by RcMadness, customers who have bought the MGM controller and had issues were 100% user error.
Examples include
-connectors that were not soldered on, but actually held on with tape.
-physical damage to controller with a screwdriver
-reverse polarity to main battery
-damaged motors were connected to controller (not damaged by controller)

All these were quickly handled by Martin and all handled by warranty.
To farther emphasize the scale and reputation of MGM, please keep in mind that they also supply electronics for industrial applications in manufacturing plants, aircraft and other mission critical applications.

Originally, I was told to buy an MGM controller because of the limitations of controllers available in the USA. No one had an MGM, but those who had some knowledge, all agreed that they were considered the best. I can tell you from extensive first hand experience and knowledge, that they have no equal.

So before you listen to anything written by someone who thinks that people "avoid" MGM because of shipping costs, or language barriers, please search online for those like me, and dealers like RCMadness, that can't say enough positive things about them.

Today, Tekin, Castle and MGM all produce great products. Castle and Tekin have worked out the bugs and have solid units which I also use and love. When it comes to service and repair, all are great, but in my experience (which includes about 10 customers who I know with MGM controllers), The reliability, performance, service and supports of MGM is simply the best in the industry.

Just to prove their performance, here are two youtube links to my personal use...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtjOcGdc85A[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyDvXA_0ZyA[/ame]

Last edited:

joepapa

Thank you...

I appreciate that very much. I spent a lot of time and a ton of money getting them going. I sold the 5B though after converting it back to gas. The Losi is my favorite as I always wished the Baja was 4wd.

Neither one of these could have existed without the MGM. I considered a Shultz, but found the site to be far less user friendly and the controller design to be a bit dated in appearance, not to mention huge.

Tekin and Castle offer nothing that even comes close as of yet, and considering the small market this truck fits into, I doubt they will ever offer an option as they likely wouldn't sell enough. The Mamba xl2 is good enough for most people with its 8S limitation.
I like the fact that the MGM handles more than I am using, where as the Castle is being ran at its limits. The MGM barely warms up.

A few other impressive things about the MGM is that you can set things like:
an rpm limit for the motor
you can select any number of motor poles from 2 on up
drive frequency is adjustable
it has current limiters you can adjust in both forward and reverse
you can set in seconds how long you want it to take to apply the brakes, accelerate to full throttle.
The controller has a data logger so you can see how its running
Its waterproof (if this option is chosen) All Rcmadness ones are...
Theres an optional temp sensor to shut down the car if your motor hits a certain temp
You can have it monitor your lips through the balance taps (an option)
IT goes on and on!

Z33

i dont get it u decided to post after 3 years because u saw this thread, but since MGM is from prague just like the beer it must be good

Hazza

No worries, you deserve all the credit you get for those cars.

And I agree with the 4wd thing, as that's the only downside of the Baja's for me.

But I think you have it wrong. Both those cars could have (and do) exist without the MGM controller. If anything, and judging by the pics, what they couldn't have existed without is the Castle 2028. Right?

Not taking anything away from your cars but there are plenty of eBaja's running the XL2 on 8s and for realistic purposes are almost as overpowered and crazy as yours. And there are already a few Losi 5ive's with XL2 on 8s ripping up the streets. Not as crazy as yours, but still borderline crazy.

The MGM is obviously the king of the pack where large scale ESC's are concerned, and for good reason I know, but the XL2 still does a great job with many of the same features. ie current limiters, torque/traction control, selectable BEC voltage from 5-7 or more, data logging, fully configurable throttle/brake curves, can be waterproofed and plenty more. The more options we as a consumer have the better, :)

Modded5T

Anybody know where I can buy a MGM pro? I have XL2 thats crapped and my friends to. We are looking for some, anybody want to sell a used one or point me in direction I can get a couple?

Modded5T

Just picked up 2 x MGM Comp Pro x3s with heat sink fans, switch, usb cable, water proof, and 8mm connectors...Came to about 670 but we are stoked!!!!!!

Modded5T

Ordered directly from their site. I emailed them first though...I needed one with 6 mm connectors and other with 8mm which they dont' usually offer. He set it all up for two and sent me a paypal invoice. Can't wait to get my Baja up and running, been a long time. Now I have a brand new Xl2 sitting in my room lol, prolly gonna throw it up on ebay.