Mech brake vs Motor brake?

Kbracing96

Anyone notice any run time differences with keeping the mechanical brake on the Baja and just letting the motor free wheel vs using the motor for braking? Just curious if one is really better or noticeably then the other. I know my factory B5 brake is a joke and barley slows the buggy down with the gas motor. I learned to drive pretty much with out using the brake and just turning and sliding to a stop.

Monsterman

MonstermanHBF
Staff member
Media
Anyone notice any run time differences with keeping the mechanical brake on the Baja and just letting the motor free wheel vs using the motor for braking? Just curious if one is really better or noticeably then the other. I know my factory B5 brake is a joke and barley slows the buggy down with the gas motor. I learned to drive pretty much with out using the brake and just turning and sliding to a stop.
I would think there would be less drag on the E Motor running Mechanicals all around.. Maybe go with Front & Rear Discs on all 4 corners. The stock break set up isn't the best but with some mods & upgrades it works flawless.

Kbracing96

Any one else?? What a good upgrade for all 4 mechanical brakes? Kits??

The gas motor gave me fits yesterday AGAIN so electric is NEAR!! lol

GlennsBaja

I had front disk on one of my 5b's and they worked tons better than the stock brakes. They were just Integy but it stopped on a dime. I would think the only thing you would lose is reverse. I know I am buildig a TSK1 Flux and I love the idea of reverse.

Kbracing96

Humm, I'm pretty sure you can program the esc for no braking, but still have reverse since it's basically two operation the way the esc does it. It doesn't actually go into reverse unless the motor is stopped for a certain amount of time.

_paralyzed_

Castle esc's have regenerative braking, so your run times will actually be longer using motor braking.

I don't know what Monsterman meant by "less drag", but it's not the case.

You can get by fine with just motor brakes. It will definitely stop shorter with the addition of front brakes, but in my 2 years with a brushless 5b with motor brakes only I never found myself wanting more braking power.

What GlennsBaja was referring to is that you push the remotes lever forward for reverse and for braking, so if you have mechanical brakes and reverse and you push the lever forward you would be activating both the brakes and reverse at the same time.

Kbracing96

Ok, Yeah I didn't think about the mech brake coming on when reversing. I think I'll just stick with motor braking like the rest of my electrics. :)

modojojo

I had front disk on one of my 5b's and they worked tons better than the stock brakes. They were just Integy but it stopped on a dime. I would think the only thing you would lose is reverse. I know I am buildig a TSK1 Flux and I love the idea of reverse.
I use this same setup with a mgm esc and castle 2028 and the breaking Is excellent.