Manitoba Baja Owner

Dmon

Well, now I'm in as well.... I live in the Westwood area of Winnipeg, and have about 4 square blocks of field in my backyard - the fields for the Samson Elementary, Westwood High and police schools as well as a community club, library and curling club. This summer, they even ashfaulted the running track in case anyone likes to do oval track running.

Anyway, I'm in and I have a full tank of gas! The Basja on the other hand....:D

Dmon

Front hub mod

For anyone who wants to do the mod where you get rid of the e-clip out of the inside of the hub and go with the screw and washer bit instead, I am happy to do the mod for you with my little lathe. I just finished doing it for my own, and it is easy and cheap!

I did it a little different - they call for filing down flush where I only took the outer lip (the part that catches the e-clip) off. This leaves a smal flange. This flange is exactly the perfect size for a 1/4" stainless washer from Canadian Tire (20 cents each) to fit around. Then tap the hole M5 and use a leftover M5x12mm buttonhead screw (HPI part# 94754).

So, you're looking at $5.99 for the screws (if you don't already have spares kicking around), 40 cents from Canadian Tire for the washers, and a half hour in my garage while we mod the spindles. Good deal to get rid of the Jesus Clips! Let me know if anyone is interested. :devil2:

Last edited:

Dmon

LED lights for the Baja 5B (a cheap alternative)

I found a possible alternative for paying thru the nose for the LED upgrade for the Baja. I was in my local Dollar Store (this particular one is at Ness and Moray), and found some barrel shaped LED keychain flashlights for a buck apiece. The run off 2 Lithium 2032 batteries, which is 6 volts. The bodies are made of aluminum, and have o rings for sealing, even a rubber push button on the back for turning onn and off. All I need to do is figure out how to mount them- no wiring required! And if I choose to wire them in (sometime in the future) I can just run them straight to the radio battery! The lighting is only 6 LED's instead of the standard 12, but it seems pretty bright for my use. I got black and aluminum, but they also had an orangy yellow, red and blue.

SWD

Media
Hey it'll be nice to put a face to your name Brad. We've got a good group of guys here and you'll always be welcome to come run with us. What brings you to Winnipeg?

5thScaleCanada

Well, my Wife is from Winnipeg, she grew up in Pine River and went to college in Winnipeg. Her parents are getting older, late 70's, and we would like to be closer to them now to help take care of them. Both of my businesses, the Engineering Firm and the Hobby Shop went under on Nov 11. So with nothing to hold me down in Toronto, we've decided to take the leap and head out west for a change!

We both have to find jobs once we settle in but should be alright. I'm looking forward to a different pace and change of view. I've spent my entire life in this city! The Hobby Business won't be restarting any time soon since I don't have the finances to back it up this time and I don't have any large scale RC's at the moment since they belonged to the corporation and I had to give them up. They will be liquidated by the corporation when the time comes. I will end up buying something new to play with but it will be a while since we have to get settled first. It'll be cool to hang out with you guys though, I don't have any friends in Winnipeg aside from my Wife's friends so being able to talk shop will be good!

I don't know about new years yet, I'm kind of along for the ride at the moment since it's all new to me but if we're settled in and looking for a party, I will let you know for sure! We're moving to an apartment from our house, the new place is in the sage creek area near Lagmodiere Blvd and the Perimeter Hwy. I dunno if you guys know the area or not but I think its considered South St.Vital? I can say one thing about moving there, thank god I have snow tires and a 4x4!! :gunsmilie:

Once we're settled in I'll hit u guys up to go for a coffee or something... We should be there by next Saturday or so... I still don't know how we're going to fit all our stuff into this apartment... We're coming from 2600sqft going into 943sqft.... We've had to throw out so much crap!!

Last edited:

drrock

If we can get everyone out at the same time next year, we should have quite a group!! Always good to see new faces, too bad the business went under though....... :( You'll be back up and running in no time!

Dmon

Looking forward to meeting you.... When getting rid of stuff for the move, Baja stuff cannot be tossed! You must keep it! :lol: "It's still good, it's still usable. Just needs a little JB Weld! Duct tape, STAT!!!"

Any chance you're moving into the west end of WPG? SWD, DRROCK and I are all within 3 miles of each other.... getting to be the Baja place to be. Anyway, looking forward to meeting you.

What line of work are you looking for? If you are techie, let me know. My wife and I are both techs and can keep our ears open for you- it's a pretty tight tech community in WPG.

Last edited:

5thScaleCanada

I am a Tech, although thats a broad statement to make since I have experience in a few fields. What type of Tech are you referring to? I've worked in Broadcasting, IT and A/V. I'll be living in the south east end of Winnipeg, within the perimeter but I have wheels. I wasn't able to keep my RC's as they belonged to the Corporation that funded my shop. Once I'm employed again I'll be picking up a new gasser though...

Any help finding decent work that pays $20./hr or more would be greatly appreciated!!

Dirty-Baja

-I finally left edmonton.
-Home in Transcona eastside wpg.
-track will going up in spring on a site with a full sized dirt bike track,and a mini dirt bike track, all on private land eastside wpg.
-1st year site lease paid by myself and 2 other friends.
-membership fees the normal $50.yr 365 day track access, oval ice racing in the winters(depending on you).

this summer my buddys and i are not playing games like edmonton ppls did not pointing any 1 person out but we got sold out for an 1/8th scale track in edmonton,and now that im in my hometown winnipeg,where i got pull with friends,i can get stuff done right,this upcoming summer should be alot of fun.
stay tuned

drrock

-I finally left edmonton.
-Home in Transcona eastside wpg.
-track will going up in spring on a site with a full sized dirt bike track,and a mini dirt bike track, all on private land eastside wpg.
-1st year site lease paid by myself and 2 other friends.
-membership fees the normal $50.yr 365 day track access, oval ice racing in the winters(depending on you).

this summer my buddys and i are not playing games like edmonton ppls did not pointing any 1 person out but we got sold out for an 1/8th scale track in edmonton,and now that im in my hometown winnipeg,where i got pull with friends,i can get stuff done right,this upcoming summer should be alot of fun.
stay tuned
Just let us know when we can start digging!!