I finally bit the bullet.

BryceVR

The planets aligned and the ducks were all in a row and someone told me about a busted 5B a friend had in his shed. Had a look, made an offer, took it home, a 2012 ( I think) 5B for a GOOD price. Cracked clutch carrier and fuel gummed up a bit in the tank.
I started the pulldown earlier today and looks like it's had less than a tank run in it, the owner was a rich mechanical klutz and couldn't be bothered to fix it. :clap:
I've been into R/C for over 35 years so I don't see too many problems, my intro thread is here .

Apart from the clutch,what else should I do?
I intend to do extensive work in future but thought there's no better place to start than a good solid build.
I've always considered Univeral joints (CV's) essential in my smaller cars, is this the case with Bajas?
A better steering servo is also a must to me but should I get an upgraded steering set, again it was always important to me in my other cars.
Kill switch of course.
I thought of going nylon arms and Alum hubs with axle extenders early on as well. Is this worthwhile?
Hostile AT's look to be a good tyre for general firm dirt and short grass, any comments.
Any and all advice is appreciated
Thanking all in advance
Bill

Last edited:

palcuz

Sounds like a great score!

I don't know too much about universal joints and bajas but I'm fairly new to the game too .

For hubs my feelings go with what you'd WANT to break in the event of a crash. Plastic hubs are cheap to replace. I'd like to hear other's opinions on this.

For tires- best overall grass /dirt tire with best traction go with hostile mx hard knobs. Nothing better that I know of. Night and day traction when compared with other knobby/at tires.

Last edited:

BryceVR

Wow, Not only are these things a real hoot to drive they are addictive and expensive.
My $250 car has grown to $2700 in 4 weeks and growing.

I've now arrived at the Grandads Old Axe conundrum.
It's had 5 handles and 2 heads but it's still Grandads Old Axe...

At what point does it cease to be a HPI baja?
I stripped my new car to components and began to accumulate parts.
To make first, a tight good handling racecar and secondly a spare to use in less ideal conditions. I would also like to build a Hot-Rod, custom bits and good performance but form over function.
I bought a spare chassis to re-assemble the good but not primo parts on.
Which one is the HPI baja? Where is it a clone and where is it just a 5th racing car?

Just a philosophical thought.

Last edited:

Tuskony

Wow, Not only are these things a real hoot to drive they are addictive and expensive.
My $250 car has grown to $2700 in 4 weeks and growing.

I've now arrived at the Grandads Old Axe conundrum.
It's had 5 handles and 2 heads but it's still Grandads Old Axe...

At what point does it cease to be a HPI baja?
I stripped my new car to components and began to accumulate parts.
To make first, a tight good handling racecar and secondly a spare to use in less ideal conditions. I would also like to build a Hot-Rod, custom bits and good performance but form over function.
I bought a spare chassis to re-assemble the good but not primo parts on.
Which one is the HPI baja? Where is it a clone and where is it just a 5th racing car?

Just a philosophical thought.
It's always a baja! You are running a baja platform with the design of the chassis, bulks, trans etc. They might not be stock parts but they're still based on the concept of the baja!

After awhile I think it's safe to stop calling it an HPI though!

Just my two cents! :batman:

BryceVR

I think I'm heading for a huge build thread.
I've become an incurable Large scale addict, after 35 years of the "Small Scale", I'm hooked.
So my 5th scales are now No's 66,67,68 & 69 in the collection.
Too many toy cars...

BryceVR

Here's a tip when you do a pull down.

Put all the plastic/nylon bits into pillow cases and take them down to the Laundromat. After scrubbing the big crusty bits off.
Give them a spin on high with some stain release additive (I use nappy wash) and BINGO
super clean bits.
I didn't use a Laundromat because I have a Maytag washer but I wouldn't do this in the average washer.
I don't have a missus to complain either. :)

I found this one out when restoring old school Associated RC10's.
If you're running white nylon bits and they're a bit dodgy, then soak with a peroxide solution in the sun. Great new white bits.

Quality is a direct experience, independent of and prior to intellectual abstractions.
R. Pirsig

Last edited: