How to tell if you are buying a real HPI Baja

Wrook

Hello forum! I am not new to the RC world but I am new to the HPI Baja. After doing some research I ended up here. I want to be sure this car is not a clone. He tells me it has a new CY motor and some after market parts. The rims & front A arms are orange. Is that the sign of a clone? The seller swears it is all HPI or quality after market. What do you guys think? Real or clone?

The arms are made by RPM, and he changed out the beadlock rings to orange ones. It looks like a HPI Baja.

LuvMyTJ

Yes, unfortunately it is the only pic I have. I am going tomorrow to look at it. Thing is I am selling a scooter on CL for $400 or trades (I mentioned RC stuff in the ad) and he offered his 5B.
The guy seems legit I just want to be sure it's not a pile of crap. He says it has RPM A arms (explains the orange?), Hostile carriers, HD dog bones, aftermarket fuel cap, DDM side mount pipe, stock CY engine, rear shock towers, etc. Anything specific I should check out other than the normal stuff. Serial numbers? And whats with the raised part on the roof? Roll over skid pan? :)

Last edited:

walt

thanks for all the info I think I stand a better chance of not getting ripped off on my quest to buy a used baja if I cant find a good used 5b in my area maybe i will just get a ss kit

Monsterman

MonstermanHBF
Staff member
Media
thanks for all the info I think I stand a better chance of not getting ripped off on my quest to buy a used baja if I cant find a good used 5b in my area maybe i will just get a ss kit
Keep checking the FS here, us mods and members screen the items pretty good so you for sure wont get a knock off if buying from a member here :cool:

walt

Keep checking the FS here, us mods and members screen the items pretty good so you for sure wont get a knock off if buying from a member here :cool:
I have called myself looking on the fs here for about a week now with no luck and just spent about 2 hr looking all over the east coast on C.L. and all that i have found is what looks like where people have ran the cars into the ground and are trying to get rid of them for what seems like top $$$ :huh2: and thanks to this forum i was able to spot few knock offs that some jerks are selling

collinsjason55

Just get the ss kit I bought a baja 5b last year on cl guy swore it was a real HPI,it was not,diff blew out about a half a tank later,and I ended up spending more then I payed just fixing it.

walt

thanks collinsjason55 i did just get the ss kit and now just waiting for the fedex man to show up with it is going to drive nutts

lomcevoc

Real or Not????

Got a chance to pick up a 5B, can I get some opinions on whether or not this is a legit HPI or not. I have not seen this in the real, just this picture but I'm being told that it is an HPI. What do you guys think? Considering what is in the pic, if I would look at this in person, what would be the single thing that would confirm it was a true HPI that I can look for?

Thanks
Lom

lomcevoc

For whatever reason I can not post the pic. It keeps saying that it exceeds the forum Quota and the file size is well below all the listed limits. I'll have to try another route but any recommendations of how to fix this upload issue would help
Thanks
Lom

Inertia Racing Products

just a quick thing is to look at the screws in the front loop, bumper brace.
look at the screws in the rear upper bumper bracket
look at the screws in the side of the center top, sides of the cage where it screws together.
if these are Phillips head instead of allen head bolts, chances are its a knock off...
most people that try to pawn a knock off as an HPI forget to replace those screws.

Last edited:

chadj1980

Got a chance to pick up a 5B, can I get some opinions on whether or not this is a legit HPI or not. I have not seen this in the real, just this picture but I'm being told that it is an HPI. What do you guys think? Considering what is in the pic, if I would look at this in person, what would be the single thing that would confirm it was a true HPI that I can look for?

Thanks
Lom
Its got the km clone body and wing on it..Ask for a picture of the gear cover and the side of the motor...If i says cy or km..Also ask for a pic of the radio box should have a serial number on it...

Baja Guy

IMO If its not made by hpi, its a clone... partial or fully modified hpi bajas are "clones/custom". By new, keep it stock and now you have a genuine hpi baja. To keep it simple, dont discard any original parts during modification. Especially parts with sereal numbers... if you want to sell a genuine hpi, reassemble your baja back to stock.