How to tell if you are buying a real HPI Baja

USABaja5

Alright folks, please help us out here. The last thread like this got lost in teh new forum conversion, so we have to start it over. Please point out what the real HPI has on it.

-- The real HPI has raised letter on the tires that say HPI

-- The real HPI comes with a serial number on the radio box

-- The real HPI has a straight knurl on the shock adjusters

I will combine all of thes suggestions into one thread and lock it as a sticky again.

Last edited by a moderator:

SWD

Media
-- The real HPI has a CY motor
-- The real HPI has a gunmetal or purple chassis
-- The real HPI has black plastic suspension parts not grey, orange etc
-- The real HPI has the HPI logo on the main polycarbonate body at the base of the windshield
-- The real HPI has HPI brand servo's,Rx and Tx in the RTR versions
-- The real HPI has the HPI logo on one of the spokes of the wheels
-- The real HPI has a black anodized brake lever
-- The real HPI has a black anodized throttle/brake linkage wire/rod set

That's all I recall.

Last edited:

one2boost

Does the HPI part # 85404 - Radio Box Set, come with a serial number? According to the pics, I see nothing. What about in the SS kits, do these have serial numbers also?

Play-D'Oh

Does this apply to all baja models (ie: 5B, 5T, 5SC)? Does this apply to RTRs and kits? My 5T has all the things you listed except I have orange plates and hubs. I purchased it used and the owner claims that's how it came out of the box. He also claimed to have taken good care of it and after a complete tear down, I have realised that this claim was bs to say the least.

Play-D'Oh

Oops. Just realized this was a 5B thread. I was reading through new posts and didn't notice. ill assume what you were saying only applies to the 5B.

arthur daley

Don buy it if the box seals are broken,a guy got caught as he beleived it to be genuine,sold as an unwanted present,when he opened it up he was greeted with a clone in a genuine HPI box,contacted the guy,he swore thats what he got in the box,no come back advertised in a local shop window.
Nice scam,so buyer beware.

bajanibbs

with all the upgrades out there now its hard to tell anymore i have no serial # for my box melted do to battery issue everthing is deanodized.. so in my opinion its to hard to tell anymore...

Play-D'Oh

I bought my 5T used. I didn't have enough product knowledge to know a good one from an abused one or a real one from a fake. with what I've learned I'm confident I can now pick out a good one. however I would not buy one without being able to insspect it right in front of me and I would expect to see the original receipt.

mrfixit69

Yeah I bought my 5b used and didnt know what was missing ? Now a couple hundred dollars later I would have been better off buying new ! I have never seen a "clone" up close so Im not sure how to tell ? I know mine has HPI in numerous places...

rednec_d

Pay attentioion to the stock paintjob. Only black and white for stock T, red, black for the SC and look for the stock stickers. Also if listed as new check for the right tires, "clones" usually have aftermarket copy treads such as knockoff hostile or prolines.

If in doubt buy brand new or only in person as pictures can't show all the details.

SWD

Media
Pay attentioion to the stock paintjob. Only black and white for stock T, red, black for the SC and look for the stock stickers. Also if listed as new check for the right tires, "clones" usually have aftermarket copy treads such as knockoff hostile or prolines.

If in doubt buy brand new or only in person as pictures can't show all the details.
This thread is for 5b's.