How To: Install a Hitec 7980TH in a stock battery box as a T/B servo. (pic heavy)

Tuskony

Hi everyone,

Here is how I installed a Hitec 7980 mega torque servo into my stock receiver box.

The 7980TH is 10% larger than a regular sized throttle/brake servo like the Hitec 5955TG (old 7955TG).

Here are the measurements of each servo:

5955TG is 20.13mm wide

5955TG is 40.21mm long

7980TH is 22.42mm wide

7980TH is 43.89mm long

The first thing you need to do is take the servo apart. Being that its so long and such a tight fit there is no way to install it traditionally without mangling the electrical connection on the servo. You need to install the top half of the servo into the battery box housing and then you need to slide the bottom half of the servo up through the battery box housing and connect it back up with the top half of the servo.

CAUTION: There are two very small gaskets to be aware of as you take the 3 sections apart on the servo

So we need to increase the battery box opening for the throttle/brake servo to about 23mm wide and 44mm long! To do this here is what I used:

Dremel with a sanding bit, #1 phillips, calipers, razor blade

Basically what you want to do is using the dremel to slowly sand away some material from around housing.

Being that you can't really get into the corners with the round sanding bit you'll need to use a razor blade to square up the corners

Be very careful not to take away too much material! Test fit often!

Eventually you should be able to get the bottom half of the servo into the battery box servo housing

Next you will want to test fit the top half of the servo with the battery box housing. You will find that the servo tabs don't line up well with the battery box receiver housing.

You will need to sand down each of the tabs on the top of the servo case so that you can get screws down through them and into battery box. Take away very little material at a time and test fit often.

And eventually you will beable to do this on both sides of the servo

Once you have the top half of the servo case fitted and ready to install all you need to do is hold it in place and then carefully install the bottom half of the servo by sliding it up through the servo housing opening and connecting it with the top half of the servo. Install your 6 screws and voila!!!

Now install the flanged screws

You have installed a 7980TH in a stock receiver box! I thought I might have to beef up the plastic a bit because I took quite a bit of it away but the servo is in there and it feels rock solid :clap:!

Last edited:

Tuskony

Nice job man,might have to give this a try

Like you said removing very little material at a time and test fitting often is the key
Thank you and absolutely! Use your calipers or just test fit ALL the time. The servo fits but barely! If you take away too much material you could ruin the box.

Very good install and write up. Creative thinking on your part. Job well done!!!
Thank you sir!