handling characteristics of the 5B?

cowboysir

Hey,

New to the forum but not to RC in general. I've had a few small sessions with my "new for me" 5BSS and I've been trying to get a grasp of handling while fixing minor issues as they come up.

Due to the weight balance of the vehicle (seems very tail heavy to me) I've been working on cornering and i'm having a heck of a time trying to keep it on throttle cornering without having it spin out.

First off, I'm working with the stock knob tire from HPI (dirt buster?) and I'm guessing its part of my problem...with the squigy knobs it really isn't as grabby as it could be. It throws a good amount of small/medium gravel (surface I'm running on) on takeoff and straights but seems to shove its weight really sideways in the turn and I consistently watch it go past my attempts of countersteered save.

I have some tires coming (and have to order a few other parts soon) but I was wondering if there are some suggestions for technique or tuning that I can implement...

For example, I wonder about the stock diff fluid and whether changing to a heavier weight will improve power distribution and balance mid corner...I also have no real clue if there are some adjustments i can make to my 3PK transmitter or throttle/brake servo to even out the throttle peakiness (it seems very full on/full off type of power band)

I realize I'm likely going to have to pick up more of a "throttle steer" mentality to piloting this beast but I'd like to find some adjustments to help it along.

Thanks,

D

Bonzai 94

If its loose gravel over hard base, its gonna be all over the place no matter what tire you use,try to find a spot with dirt or sand...It will handle way better,gravel is pretty much like driving on marbles so there is not alot you can do at WOT...learn throttle control,but on gravel,and the weight of these things,even if you take off slow and work your way up to full throttle,as soon as you turn it spins around...at least for me....gravel roads even do not work.
If you can find a field to play in.....go for the dirt!

itzantm4n

If you are running on loose surfaces adjust your rear toe in to 4 degrees and a softer suspension. I am using the stock weight oils with blue springs and that keeps my rear end from kicking out on loose terrain. Going to a heavier oil in the diff helps too.

cowboysir

good to know about the gravel situation...that kind of makes sense in that the top surface is "marbled"

I understand that 1K fluid is used in a stock build so some suggestions on chnaging diff weights would be nice. I have some higher K fluid for my 10th nitro sedan but it's likely too thick (10K)...or is it?

I'll be looking for a new spot for driving soon shortly after repairs are complete.

Bonzai 94

I went up to 5000wt in the diff, alot of guys here like the 10,000wt.
The 1000, if you turn sharp one wheel spins...with the 5000 it rarely does it but its alot better than stock and does not tear things up.
I want to keep some of the handling without totally locking the diff...and I'm happy with it...try some different weights,see what you like.
I use 2 deg. in the rear toe....just thought I would add.

2nd Gen Designs

Media
Put less caster in the front end and put one oz of weight on the bottom of the front bulk head. And throttle control!

zignzag

Try a different diff fluid to start with like said above 5000 should be good to start with and not totally lock up the diff. You don't want the diff to lock up like a posi for a dirt track or doing lots of left or right turns. 10,0000 weight is good for the sand dunes. Throttle control is key when driving a baja as well. Remember you will need to change the diffs rubber gasket as it stretches and can't be reused. You can change the rear toe to maybe 2 degrees to help with any loose off throttle cornering if you want to go that route as well. Just start with one adjustment at a time and test it out don't do a whole lot of adjustments at once and test it as that may become more difficult to get the baja to handle the way you want. Hostile has some nice tires to choose from other then the stock dirt busters that ware out really quick.

5Buggy

I would look at making the rear shocks softer if the rear end spins out (i.e. you do a 180deg spin) and overtakes the front while cornering.

drtibke

Sorry, for re-open this topic, but please correct me if I'm wrong but if your car behave more aggressively than you want during and after the corner weak diff oil can help a lot...