Full Mod Trevor Simpson 3mm Kawasaki long rod Baja Build

sidewayzbajass

Full Mod Trevor Simpson 3mm Kawasaki long rod Baja Project build

Well i decided to put my Full Mod Trevor Simpson 4bolt 3mm Kawasaki long rod reed motor in my baja ss. It's going to take some work because it was build for a goped not for rc bajas but that's ok. Today I receive the first thing I order from ddm for my build the turtle racing hd clutch system. I would post more pics with more progress.

Last edited:

turboglenn

Bassbustingman.... Start digging through the junk engines at the local small engine shop... there's plenty of these old cranks with the long rods on them left if ya know what to dig for :D

You may have to press them apart, truem them up and re-press them with new bearings to get one going but it will be worth the trouble

turboglenn

it's a series of small kawasaki engines that have the same size crank with a longer rod. There's a few that i've found so far being both 3 and 5 mm over a zenoah rod length. And you'll find them in more than just kawasaki branded saws/trimmers and such because kawi supplied engines for a few other brands as well back in the day :D
now go huntin!!!!!!

tnnhoward

How does a longer rod do anything? I went to the above link and read it and saw the longer rods. Doesn't it just move the action up higher in the cylinder and then compensate for it with the cylinder spacer taking you back to the same?????

The longer rod by itself does not increase bore or stroke for more torque as stated. I must be missing something here. Educate me, please.
Thanks

turboglenn

have you ever ran it in a baja? I was wondering what you had to do with the gas tank to make the goped style engine fit? I think either way you could still use that type in the FG and MCD cars though, but again not owning one i'm not too sure

I've honestly been thinking about making a little go ped with one of mine..can't run the RC's damn near all winter and i want to enjoy my engines :lol:

turboglenn

Cool, i can't wait to check it out!! should be a monster with the long rod engine :D

i'm still fiending for a ped for some reason..maybe i should put a deck on the baja and use some V8 valve springs oon the shocks to hold my weight :) traction would no longer be an issue :D

sidewayzbajass

Well

Cool, i can't wait to check it out!! should be a monster with the long rod engine :D

i'm still fiending for a ped for some reason..maybe i should put a deck on the baja and use some V8 valve springs oon the shocks to hold my weight :) traction would no longer be an issue :D
I have a video on my spindle goped's that did 40mph with my 29cc ts reed motor . That motor is now on my Fg baja doing some top end speeds test. :scooter:

turboglenn

nice, is that just a regular TS engine ( no long rod?) I know peds are considered a "kids toy" by most, but honestly pit-bike racing and stunting is too, but i love doing them. Anything with an engine tht i can ride on is fun to me :D

Also, after looking at some peds online i was wondering what's better, spindle or chain drive, and is a clutch or direct drive better for power and speed? I just have wondered how you'd run without a clutch on one without putting a ton of strain on your crank, bearings, and cases

yo can PM me the video links or i can give you an email if they';re not on line, but i'd like to see em either way :D

sidewayzbajass

yes

nice, is that just a regular TS engine ( no long rod?) I know peds are considered a "kids toy" by most, but honestly pit-bike racing and stunting is too, but i love doing them. Anything with an engine tht i can ride on is fun to me :D

Also, after looking at some peds online i was wondering what's better, spindle or chain drive, and is a clutch or direct drive better for power and speed? I just have wondered how you'd run without a clutch on one without putting a ton of strain on your crank, bearings, and cases

yo can PM me the video links or i can give you an email if they';re not on line, but i'd like to see em either way :D
It's reed 36mm modded cylinder ,1mm stroker crank, I had it on spindel doing 40mph, then put the same motor on to chain driving it did 35mph but think it was because of the gearing. Here a vid [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoI6LkA9DVY[/ame] I have more vid of other gopeds that built check them out