DIY Crankcase Outerware

zueslilbuddy

:oops: Probably been done before but heres my version.

Well after sucking a stick in my flywheel I decided I should protect things a little and figured I would take a few pics along the way
so others could do the same on a budget.

First steal one of the fiberglass screens out of one of your windows and cut a chunk out of it big enough to cover the crankcase up to the carburetor intake.

Then get out your Velcro and stick it in place like so.

I used a little superglue to help secure it in place well in the areas with more curves.

Peal off backing and do flywheel side first where it is bigger.

Then do clutch side pulling it tight around the clutch side, then the block sides last sticking them from flywheel side to clutch side.

After sticking the screen to the Velcro gently pull the screen and Velcro off and trim off excess screen.
Should look something like this.

Then smear shoe goo all the way around the sticky side of the Velcro and let dry.

While it is drying check and superglue any parts of the Velcro that might come off the engine block.

After its dry just stick it on and reinstall the engine, finished product will look something like this.

Hope this can help some else on a budget like me :D

zueslilbuddy

Thanks dunebasher :)
I thought of just shoe goo'ing it on, but figured I might want it to be able to come off and go back on with out the hassle of waiting for shoe goo to dry every time.

zueslilbuddy

Ya well I had to do something, I bought the 26cc engine used with said 4-5 tanks threw it, but it had been modded to fit in some 4x4 truck that required some of the flywheel soide of case to be opened up (can be seen in pic #2) and After sucking in a stick I got scared to not have something blocking that huge gaping hole.
I plan on running on some dirt and sand and don't want to suck a rock in my flywheel after reading some of the horror stories.

Last edited:

mpower

looks good , simple and easy

heres what i made after breaking most the fins off the flywheel with some small rocks. had the stainless screen from another project. was a little hesitant to drill the case , but its been holding up great and definitely protects my lightweight flywheel

misfitsailor

I'll be doing this mod also. I just melted the piston in my 26cc 5B; it overheated from getting too much grass up in the shroud. :oops:

Oh well, at least the new upper end will give me 29cc...

zueslilbuddy

I'll be doing this mod also. I just melted the piston in my 26cc 5B; it overheated from getting too much grass up in the shroud. :oops:

Oh well, at least the new upper end will give me 29cc...
Mine has done well with the fiberglass screen, standard replacement screen bought in a roll big enough to do a 2x5 window for like 5 bucks or less, velcro pffftt 5 foot roll $5, a really 30 minutes to lay it out.

Well worth it to DIY