Checklist for First Run

dethklok151

first post

this is my first post here,but my first words of caution to new baja owners:
get the metal gear conversion for the servo unless you already have a mg servo.
carefully disassemble the pull start and clean all the grease out and lube with some graphite powder.
make sure the throttle opens all the way.
have a good container for gas and premix.
this is the worst one.disassemble the transmission and add a 12x24x6 bearing to the top shaft.my rtr only had one inthere and all the stress is placed on half the housing.breakage is enevitible.

be ready for a new set of rear tires(proline badlands work great,those hostile ones look pretty good too).jump cautiously until you get the hang of it.these are big,but will jump higher and farther than they should.
as a newbie myself,i have been racing rc for about 6 years now.i am 98 %racer and 2%basher.

Irish Baja Bratt

Question??

Hey there, new to the site, can anybody help me??

New Baja RTR, running fine, but there is a strange sound when I just start to accelerate for the first 2-3 seconds...it sounds like a loose chain, or a load of metal parts falling on the ground??

Is this normal, or do I urgently need oil on something!!

Thanks

P.S. Any on in Ireland got a Baja they want race / trash etc!!!

Timmahh

ya it could be some small stones bouncing around the clutch/flywheels, or it may be the brake rotors. if they are loose between the pads, they will ring a ding ling.

supersport126

Hey guys just ran out my first tank and need some advice. I already know I need some prefilters, wow does this thing suck up the grass! What I need to know is what needle settings I should run. I havent touched the carb I only removed the stinger and so far...pretty impressed. I heard to richen the low end? Any input?

charles101

so how do you check the shock oil level and does the baja come with extra shock oil?also how do you oil the diff.wont it be oiled already?does it have to be full or just greased up?thanks!!

desertrunner760

as a preventive option. clean out all greese in pullstarter, replace with Dry Grafite lube.
Cover Pull Starter with screen to keep dirt down to a minimum, but allow as much airflow as possible.

check fail safe operation is correct.

check that throatle butterfly is opening fully. i ve seen 2 so far ( the only 2 ive seen. lol) that needed linkage stop adjustments.

Be aware your stock battery may false peak the first few charges. mine did, neighbors didnt.

all i got for now
Timmahh
i have a 5b ss.my throttle butterfly wont open completly. i ajusted the linkage so it would open conpletely but the it couldnt go down to idle. could it just be that the servo i used is wore out and doesnt have the full range of a new one

dtjim

Ran for 20 min. Christmas morning in a parking lot that had a several spots of pea gravel in it. Heard some clanging around and then it seized up while we were walking over to shut it off. Upon removal of cowling, found 2 BB sized pieces of gravel and only six blades left on the flywheel! The rest were crammed neatly in the bottom of the housing. I personally think HPI should include a screen with this car. (as well as pay for my replacement--they said no) My baja (ok...it's the 12yr old's) arrived with "product update" axle extenders. I suspect that later ones will be shipping with screens. For now though, take my advice. Do not run your baja without the OuterWares flywheel screen.

Was the update you recieved with the axle extenders from HPI? I called them about my wheels rubbing and they wont send me axle extenders they said i had to buy them myself

ash666

suppose it really depends on where you are running the beast.. definitely body on for me when i go bush bashing, way too many sticks can get lodged in pullstart side as well as stuck in servo/throttle arm (lodged at full revs = ouch!!!)
but if you are running on only dirt - aint really a problem, i suggest getting a cover for the pullstart side of engine(saves a heap of time cleaning )

barry morse

hello.could someone please tell me the best way of measuring the oil to petrol ratio i no its 25/1,but what is a good measuring tool to use thanks

zilla

well i did pretty good on all the above items on my first run. I just wished for a change of underwear cause i had so much fun i messed myself on the first tank said screw it and ran a couple more

aerofly37

carb screws

does anyone else have a problem with the mixture screws vibrating out of the factory settings mine backs off to 3 turns out on both screws tried streching the springs but didn't help...any ideas??? thanks

daytonabeach

Cling-a-ling sound when starting to accelerate...
Small stones someone mentioned, but not out of the box i guess?
Is it the pullstart part or, ?

Why do you have to run the tank empty each time if you race daily?

And, should the rear wheels also be angled inwards like the front wheel, toeing i think its called...

Will the engine run smoother on top after a couple of tanks? Sounded like it was holding back a little at full throttle...

Other than that, totally awesome :-D

Thx, Chris