Checklist for First Run

96-silverado

magoo said:
i found with mine when i removed the cowlings that it would allow small rocks and stuff into the cooling fan/flywheel. i had a big rock get into the fan/flywheel and stop the engine. i had to pull it all down to get the dam thing out. it broke a couple of fins off too.
Magoo, We have experienced that and the easiest way to stop it is to buy the Outerwears pullstart cover. However you can glue a piece of screen over the pullstarter this will help also. Good luck and enjoy that new baja :wink:

tomka

I ran my Baja with that volt meter. It created a glitch that caused the servo to stick at WOT! 8O Not fun. My LHS warned me of interference problems.

tomka

Keep an eye on your shock caps (purple anodized hex). One of mine loosened on its own and I lost about a third of the shock fluid.

Also, it's not a bad idea to invest in a set of Outerwears Shockwears. They do a great job of protecting the shocks and keeping them clean. Mine still look like new.

Bugalou

Not sure if this has been posted but a little tip from the MGT for those of us who owned one or still do.
One of the best no cost mods was to remove the spring on the throttle/brake linkage and replace it with a piece of gas tubing, this works flawlessly and outstanding. This reduce the use of the throttle trim adjust. My brake does not bine. this mod provide great stopping power. :) :wink:

Bug

Raul

Foam Air Scoop Filters. Easy, Cheap and Efficient !!

Read on the December 06 Car Action Magazine a really good tip.
To avoid grass coming into the air-scoop filters body panels and through the pull-start housing, install foam filters cut to the size and shape of the side panels. Glue with shoe goo or cement to the inside of the air scoops. This will avoid grass, little rocks or any strange object that might damage engine. Will be easier to clean. I did it already and it is working for me great. Less cleaning to do. :arrow:

justwondering

PS / Flywheel cover a must!

Ran for 20 min. Christmas morning in a parking lot that had a several spots of pea gravel in it. Heard some clanging around and then it seized up while we were walking over to shut it off. Upon removal of cowling, found 2 BB sized pieces of gravel and only six blades left on the flywheel! The rest were crammed neatly in the bottom of the housing. I personally think HPI should include a screen with this car. (as well as pay for my replacement--they said no) My baja (ok...it's the 12yr old's) arrived with "product update" axle extenders. I suspect that later ones will be shipping with screens. For now though, take my advice. Do not run your baja without the OuterWares flywheel screen.

justwondering

you could be right fellas. I'm away on work this week so I can't see the car. I just assumed they entered through the vents in the PS. They were small enough. I didn't actually look for other possible entry points. Didn't think there would be any actually.----But I'll cover those too.

synkrow

By the sound of it, I think I will be pulling mine apart/rebuilding it ones I get it back home...

Btw: "Do not use the fail safe brake hold for more than 25 seconds." why not?