Chassis Metal Mesh Mod.

Baja Guy

I decided to make some metal mesh screens for my 5sc chassis.
when I run on grass fields the debris collect under my engine. Eventually clogging up my Outerwears crankcase cover, which leads to much higher engine temps.
I hope to prevent the majority of grass cuttings from getting sucked in below my engine, causing my engine temps to sky rocket.

Supplies used: roof rain gutter screen & liquid nails (clear sylicone)

Finished mod pics:

Last edited:

Baja5bOBR

I have a X3 chassis and still get the usual crap build up, will help prevent but not eliminate it.

Tuskony

That looks great! Thanks for posting.

Did you remove the anodizing/paint where you glued it?r is the liquid nails tacky enough to stick anyway?

Baja Guy

No. I simply glued it to the frames anodized color. I only cleaned the surface with alchohol.

Im bashing around now at my local park testing a few other parts aswell. So far so good. The glue is holding up well. Not much grass under my engine as of yet.

Baja Guy

Today was a short day at my local grass field. Had about an hour of time to spare, due to the playoffs (go niners!). After the 1st 30 or so minutes the mesh mod was pretty effective in keeping most of the grass out. As time carried on, below the crankcase remained fairly clean (grass free), But ONLY at the crankcase cover.

However, around my outerwears pullstart cover, it was completley filled with grass and leaves.
IMO, I believe the plastic skid plate with the plastic pullstart shield is an additional problem.
Its appears to hold in all grass and debris around the pullstart area. It gets sucked in from the pullstart vent area above the sheild when the rear wheels shread the grass.

I think the chassis mesh mod will work even better if the skidplate pullstart shield wasnt trapping in the grass around the pullstart. :detective: