Batteries cheap. Wow

rtemple

I've got a set of zippy flightmax's for my e revo brushless edition. I've only used them a couple times so far because it's winter in Canada right now and I got them right before winter last year. But as far as I'm concerned they work great and they are 1/4 of the price as most lipo batteries

hal001

Plus these are big 8000mah packs. Guy's should get about 25 minutes outta these babies, maybe more. Well, as long as they would fit, not sure about that.

rtemple

For two 5000 mah 30c zippy's it was 60 bucks then 30 for shipping for me and I live in Manitoba, Canada but 90 bucks for 2 batteries is pretty good. At my LHS the cheapest lipo's were 130 for 1 haha so I did some shopping around and found zippy's on the hobbyking site. They seen to have pretty good reviews but for like 30 bucks a battery you can't go wrong

Schism

be warned guys, you really do get what you pay for in batteries.
id really hate to see a baja go up in flames from a cheapo pack.
for those who dont know what lithium batteries doe when you damage/overdraw/overcharge them...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OsBc8RqSKU[/ame]

mind you thats a tiny pack compared to the baja packs, and once they start going you cant stop them.

Matty180

Decent charger with cut off limit. Properly set up and a lipo cut off on your car will help.
They are cheap yes but pretty good value. Ive got 4 of them from turnigy and not one problem. Of course if you abuse them a little bit it can go south. I have a lipo safe fireproof bag i keep mine in. I check them every few days for swelling, Sure as hell dont want my house or shed burnt down.

Schism

Decent charger with cut off limit. Properly set up and a lipo cut off on your car will help.
They are cheap yes but pretty good value. Ive got 4 of them from turnigy and not one problem. Of course if you abuse them a little bit it can go south. I have a lipo safe fireproof bag i keep mine in. I check them every few days for swelling, Sure as hell dont want my house or shed burnt down.
im also speaking on actually using them too, a good hit or a sharp rock smacking one can set it off as well, sometimes theres just no reason.
i remember trying to help a guy bash the front of his jet off with a chair at the field in an attempt to save some of the electronics in it when the battery lit up, tho whole things was toast after all was said and done.

brian015

be warned guys, you really do get what you pay for in batteries.
id really hate to see a baja go up in flames from a cheapo pack.
for those who dont know what lithium batteries doe when you damage/overdraw/overcharge them...
You mention two different things here:
1. cheap packs
2. abusing lipo batteries
And I don't see how they are related. Please explain. Because the way you have posted this, it sure sounds like you want people to think that they will have their Baja go up in flames if they buy these packs.

Many, many, many people (including me) have used Zippy or Turnigy packs without incident. And others have abused name brand packs and had them go up in flames.

kirkhayes37

Here is what I would like to know....

What constitutes a "cheap" meaning crappy brand?

1. Over-stated C ratings
2. Battery's inability to deliver a constant discharge rate
3. inability to deliver a peak, short term C rating
4. Battery provides high "ripple" effect
5. etc, etc, etc.

I would love to see an actual review and performance test of a handfull of premium packs -vs- bargan packs.

Honestly, I have some High Dollar Orion lipos and some Zippy's and I only notice a tiny bit of difference. The Orions are 45C and the Zippy's are 20C. I run them on my Stock Brushless E-revo.... there is about a 2 mph top speed difference and about the same run time..according to GPS.

Some "real" comparisons would be nice. I have had good luck with premium and bargain lipos. So, I am just not sure what to think. 8)

Superrmario

Just found these.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16226

Wont last long. LOL. They'll sell off fast.
Hobby King always has Crack Deal prices on Lipos.

All my electric airplanes are flown on Turnigy or Zippy packs.

The only bad thing is they take 3 weeks minimum to ship from Singapore. If you get them through a local warehouse the price is usually $10-$15 more.

BTW, I use the 2650 NanoTech Packs for my Carbon Z Yak. At 5c charge rate, I can in therory charge them at 13.25 amp safely. I have charged them at 6amp in 15 minutes, and they didnt even get warm.

Last edited:

chilwil86

I've read and read on this subject, and from what I have come up with is that you have to have some fairly sophisticated electronic measuring devices to come up with real answers. I too have spent big money on name brand packs for higher "C" rating and had them swell. I was asked give serial numbers and take pictures once I did these things they were replaced free of charge. Now I dont know what Hobbykings policys are on this type of deal. But at 1/4 of the price I wouldnt expect much.This is simple... use a good charger,dont over charge or overdischarge and continue to watch temps of everything Esc,motor,batts..you know common sense. Lipo batts CAN be dangerous, every manufacturer puts it on their packaging when you get the battery.Hell I cant stand the contact spark when you hook up 30 volts, But It sure is fun squeezing the trigger .

ebomb

ive tried them all from max cramps to turnigy, if ur gonna spend 200.00+ on packs then go with hyperion or thunder power but if ur willing to take a chance ,90% of the time u will be fine with a turnigy pack. i have about 3 2s 5000 mah 45c turnigys that i run in my slash 4x4 with no probs and some time ill series 2 up to run in a truggy for 4s,but in the past year i did buy 3 turnigy 4s 40c 5000mah packs and 2 out of the3 did go bad very fast so with that being said u are takeing a chance and even though they have warranties now [ 30 days only] good luck with getting in touch with customer service + u have to send it back to china even if u bought it from the us store. i personally just bought some neu packs that i ran twice and had no issue and seem u have plenty of punch and castle recommended these to me as they do frown on the zippys/turnigy packs. i have not looked at the data logger yet to check on these packs ,i want to run them a couple of more times to cycle them and then i will report.but as of now i need more tires cause this thing lites them up!!!, up and down the street:D:D

yolonda21

Hal I just ordered a few of these ................only 30c but hopefully they do the job???:2guns:

hal001

Smart man, at that price you really can't go wrong. What charger and powersupply ya got yolonda. Pm and modelland have the superduo's.. That's what I got.

Schism

dont get me wrong guys im not trying to scaremonger the packs, but know that the more you spend with the company the more likely theyll help you out and in an effort to keep the money you gave them they try to put out the most stable and reliable product they can. ive spent a lot of time trying to sort out issues with the overseas hobby gear and ive grown quite sour to the poor QC they have.
the way i view it is that i wont cheap out on my real rigs just to save a buck so why should i consider doing so with my hobby rigs?
i mean sure theres a good chance nothing bad would come of using the cheapo stuff but personally i discourage riding your money on a chance.
as with anything these are just my views on the whole thing, take them with a grain of salt. im not asking someone to abide by my methods.