Baja dragster build. Mine is called "The Mistress" (Picture Heavy)

itzantm4n

Hello HBF,

I decided to build a dragster. At first, I wanted my Baja to be versatile. Be able to go onroad and off road. After getting a second baja, I decided to make that one an offroad basher and my current one a racer. The closest area to me as far as racing is the drag races at Floyd Bennet field. I got really stoked cause I participated in a race one Sunday and came in second place. I usually just do speed runs and donuts, but Im getting into racing.

The drag strip I run at is 330 ft. They divide racers into brackets to be fair and the winner is decided best of 3 races.I raced against 3 hpi bajas with 2 speeds and a stock FG baja with a 2 speed I got 5.2 seconds @ 67mph in 330ft. The guy I lost to (Kevin) ran a 4.7 @ 72mph.

I decided to do a complete tear down and while doing my rebuild, set it up for drag racing. I want to race in the bracket with the FG's. They race in the 3.8 - 4.5 second bracket.

I've already been working on this for the past 3 weeks but I had a lot of questions so I thought "Why not start a build thread and get some great input, advice from all other Baja fans."

First I would like to share some pictures I've taken at Floyd Bennett:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The baja's on the left and right are mine, The one with the red body is my offroad basher and the right one is my onroad, the one I will be setting up to drag race. The one in the middle is my buddy Jose's (nyctankman)

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The one with the yellow beadlocks is Kevin's baja, the one that beat me. His baja is bone stock with some lightweight mods. We don't know what motor he is running or what gear's he's running on his 2 speed. It keeps things fun and competitive =]. What I do know is that her runs a CPI BB pipe and thats about all lol.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Here she is! "The Mistress" right before her teardown:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Big thanks again to Buddy and Larry. I won this stand a few days ago and it help me put this together tremendously. The stand is very simple in looks but the Functionality will blow your mind:

[/IMG]

A pic of my offroad baja:

[/IMG]

Before the stand, there was tires. Still in the process of the teardown:

[/IMG]

Wheel's I will be putting on:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I've also decided to rebuild my shocks with threshold umbrella seals and the crowns along with TFE bleeder caps:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Got the front set of shocks done. Disaster strikes as I start on the Rears....I ended up doing this to BOTH rear shocks, I do not have an arbor press and was using channel locks . That was a very disappointing night:

[/IMG]

Came across these. I've already contacted DPR in hopes to get these ASAP:

[/IMG]

Ready to start assembly:

[/IMG]

Front end completed:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I rebuilt the diff. I dropped the drive gear to the T 19th tooth instead of the B 20 tooth to compensate for the large tires I will be running:

[/IMG]

Here's what I've accomplished so far:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Now I just finished what I could tonight and I won't have a chance to work on it until next weekend. I am using the following set up as of now:

- OBR 29.5 LR w/ Victory Pro Pipe
- BSW 2 speed 19/55 - 23/51 Diff gear is 19
- FLM Adjustable rear shock tower
- Phatdad anti squat 2 degree brace
- Rear Tires are 7 3/4" x 3.5". Front tires are 5.0" x 1.0"
- Suspension, 2 hole 50WT Shock oil in front with rear spring and the killer rc pro set "1" Cables, I plan to use 3 hole piston 60WT oil with front spring and killer rc pro set "2" cables.

I have a couple of questions:

I currently have the Killer cables mounted however it is so low to the ground that my rear is pretty much bottomed out and it doesnt even have shocks on. Should I raise the overall ride height? I was thinking of changing the limiting starts to the "2" in front and the "3" in back.

The tires are so big that they are very intimidating to me. Should I stick with my current gear? Or drop it to 17/55 - 21/53? Keep in mind my drive tooth is 19. My original plan was to use the latter but I havent been able to source the BSW 2 speed gear sets. Will also be Changing to a DDM 9500 clutch spring with the hpi high response clutch shoes.

Wanted to go carbon everything and titanium everything but.....money does not grow on trees so my next thought was to shave off rotating mass. Between using a lightened flywheel, Vertigo diff locker and lightened clutch bell, will the gains be significant?

Thanks all and stay tuned.

Antonio

silverss

looks good you know what your doing . but if your doing drag racing id drop alot more weight , like that front hd top plate , and that engine chassis plate get rid of most of the non critical billet parts and replace it with stock or carbon , stick a bigger motor in that , and go with 28/46 gears , you would tear everyone apart if you did that .

dscjester

Sweet Rig! Goodluck with it. I would deffinitly go with the diff locker. If you rig is lowered you shouldn't need the shock limiter straps as they just protect the shock from over extending. If its lowered it won't over extend. I would go with the T tranny gear.

itzantm4n

looks good you know what your doing . but if your doing drag racing id drop alot more weight , like that front hd top plate , and that engine chassis plate get rid of most of the non critical billet parts and replace it with stock or carbon , stick a bigger motor in that , and go with 28/46 gears , you would tear everyone apart if you did that .
Thanks silverss. The original plan was to go as lightweight as possible by going carbon and titanium. But those parts are expensive as hell and my budget will not allow me to go all out. Also thought about a bigger motor but that would also have to wait. I truly believe the OBR 29.5 LR can make me the fastest in my class at the drag strip as long as the set up is right.

itzantm4n

Sweet Rig! Goodluck with it. I would deffinitly go with the diff locker. If you rig is lowered you shouldn't need the shock limiter straps as they just protect the shock from over extending. If its lowered it won't over extend. I would go with the T tranny gear.
Thanks! Vertigo locker is in cart. I am using the limiting straps to lower my suspension. My rear shocks are not assembled yet because of the Threshold seals mishap, but I put on the limiting straps now for a mock up now how low I want it. I am just concerned with how low the rear is going to be to compensate for the Larger tires. When I put her on the ground she is bottomed out, without shocks mounted:

[/IMG]

dscjester

Shocks and springs will keep her Azz off the ground. Also get the DDM HD springs so when it squats down on take off, I would also look into a wheelie bar of some sort.

nitroracing456

Put front shocks on the rear, It will be a little lighter then rear shocks and you'll have more than enough suspension travel if you choose to limit or not limit the shock piston travel.

Second things is to loose the front shocks all together and replace them with pullys. This will save you a significant amount of weight.

Your build looks phenomenal and inspiring I'm subscribed and look forward to seeing more.

itzantm4n

As far as I know, dropping the drive gear to 19T is just like dropping your overall gear ratio by one. It will lower top speed and give more torque. Its good to drop the drive gear if you plan to run taller tires.

silverss

Thanks silverss. The original plan was to go as lightweight as possible by going carbon and titanium. But those parts are expensive as hell and my budget will not allow me to go all out. Also thought about a bigger motor but that would also have to wait. I truly believe the OBR 29.5 LR can make me the fastest in my class at the drag strip as long as the set up is right.
yep true everything boils down to how much money is in the pocket , unfortunatley that how life was invented .

swifbar1

Glad to see someone start a drag build thread. Just started rc drag racing in West Texas with the new Traxxas DTS. Running 1/10 scale so far but plan to start running bajas soon. Can't wait to see how your build turns out and what kind of times you can run. Low 4s at 72 mph sounds pretty good already.

itzantm4n

Oh yea - guess I got my numbers mixed up. 66 mph in 330 ft is pretty impressive too. Are you running a two speed?
Thanks! I currently have the bsw 2 speed on there. 19/55 1st and 23/51 2nd. I got that time running the 20t drive gear and grp easy street tires.

itzantm4n

Sometimes there are a few people that run or test and tune on the weekdays in the late afternoon. The races are usually every Sunday.

itzantm4n

Update!

Realized that I had to tune my camber in the rear. Waiting on threshold seals and shock caps from DPR to finish rear shocks. Also going to install a 9500k spring clutch. Switching from a pro pipe to a bartolone torpedo pipe, figured i'll go with a pipe that'll give me more bottom and mid and waiting on some titanium hinge pins to install. Hopefully can work out a deal for some carbon fiber parts. Also debating on a DS lightened flywheel. I am trying to go as light as possible without sacrificing durability. Occasionally I would like be able to run her in street trim.

swifbar1

Update!

Realized that I had to tune my camber in the rear. Waiting on threshold seals and shock caps from DPR to finish rear shocks. Also going to install a 9500k spring clutch. Switching from a pro pipe to a bartolone torpedo pipe, figured i'll go with a pipe that'll give me more bottom and mid and waiting on some titanium hinge pins to install. Hopefully can work out a deal for some carbon fiber parts. Also debating on a DS lightened flywheel. I am trying to go as light as possible without sacrificing durability. Occasionally I would like be able to run her in street trim.
Never tried the 9500 spring but I have a Bartolone modded 8000 clutch that works very well. Have not measured it but it seems like it stalls at least 9500 rpm.