Average assembly time for a Baja 5B SS KIT???

Swampman

As the title states...how long should it take average (hours)?

:confused:

Tuskony

I've never put togeather an SS kit but I have tore my truck down a million times. Like 65Baja said 15 hours sounds about right! But take your time! The build is always extremely fun! Being meticulous in your build can save you lots of headaches later!

BryceVR

If you've got a good area and the correct tools...
About 20hrs to get something that drives.

The reality is you never stop making it drive better or adjusting for mishaps.
If you don't break it you're not going hard enough and then begins the slide to making it better. Same with all serious hobbies really, I'm still improving and playing with 35 year old pan cars.

The fact that you're on the forums indicates a desire to do it well, the journey begins, enjoy.

Last edited:

willie 37

I have never stopped building mine, I run it and work on it and improve it most of the time and when I don't I go back to what worked . Its a hobby not a race to get r done.

ctdave

Took me a couple of days,went down after supper and worked a few hours. I know guys that started a pot of coffee and stayed in the basement till it was done. It's up to you.

sed6

Being new, I presume you're contemplating purchasing one? The above 15-20hr answers seem accurate. But don't let that scare you away. If you don't have the tools or the time to build one, consider a new RTR or even something used. There are lots of advantages and disadvantages to each, so read up first on each before you buy.

I went RTR because it was an impulse purchase, and in hindsight I didn't have the time to build it just then :)

Some points to consider if you're looking to buy:

RTR-
Pro-Instant gratification, just add gas
Con-You'll eventually need tools and time to makes repairs and upgrades

Kit-
Pro-Lots of experience gained building it
Con-You need tools and time to make it RTR

Used-
Pro-Popular or unique grades are often done for you already
Con-Caveat emptor!

Cost, perceived cost and bang for your buck are important too, worth reading up on also before you buy.

Good luck!

USABaja5

When my neighbor was building 2 at a time for me, he go it down to 10 hours. But that was with all the tools set-up and around 30 of them under his belt.

It will take an average new guy at least 20 hours.

Swampman

Thanks y'all!

20 hours, definitely doable and not a scare-off @ all, neither are the needed tools (I think I already got all needed anyways).

Building it on my own definitely will help getting to know the toy....for later breakage....errr maintenance lol :gun_bandana:

I live on a very large property, no neighbors to bitch, already have a buddy who has an aftermarket RTR....and since I own the land we'll just rent a bobcat and build our own track.

Now....on to where to buy one. Ebay....or not?

electricrc68

Thanks y'all!

20 hours, definitely doable and not a scare-off @ all, neither are the needed tools (I think I already got all needed anyways).

Building it on my own definitely will help getting to know the toy....for later breakage....errr maintenance lol :gun_bandana:

I live on a very large property, no neighbors to bitch, already have a buddy who has an aftermarket RTR....and since I own the land we'll just rent a bobcat and build our own track.

Now....on to where to buy one. Ebay....or not?
I'd recommend buying one from towerhobbies.com. They have some nice coupons you can use to knock off some of the price.