Any one running Meth?

Kbracing96

So I picked up my first large scale the other day for a few hundred bucks, Baja B5. Didn't run so after messing with it, found it was missing the flywheel key and the piston was chewed up a bit, ring was stuck and the wrist pin bearing fell apart when I took it out. Bought an new top end for it (has a CY29RC) and got it running. ($60 in parts :) ) Been having a good time with it, but as always I wanted more! lol

So I decided to order a 30.5cc full mode long block from OBR that is built for meth. They say HP is about the same but WAY more torque though the RPM range. Like, night and day difference to a gas motor. I can buy meth from Smileys race parts right down the street from me for $3.50 a gallon, so I figured why not. I know about the purging deal and doesn't seem to hard to just suck the meth out with a fuel bottle and put some gas in and run it for a few min when I'm done for the day.

I also bought the 18:1 dome and 499 alcy carb for my CY. So gonna mess with it before the OBR motor goes in. Anyone else messing with this stuff? Any tips? Tuning advice?

Monsterman

MonstermanHBF
Staff member
Media

Kbracing96

Kbracing96

I've been emailing Sean about it for a couple weeks and he seems to think its a no brainier to run meth, 15% more usable power, runs cooler and is about the same price as pump fuel, but you will be using more of if.

jbooker82

Just make sure you run a compatable oil, and dont go lean. When you go lean with methanol it will start dieseling and running away. You can actually pull the plug wire off and it will stay running.

Kbracing96

Kolz and Castor 927 are both rated for Methanol. Sean recommended the Castor 927, so I picked up a half gallon from Ebay. I've never heard of a meth motor dieseling... Will watch the tune though. Tuning is key in any setup! ;) Sean said the motor wil come with a DVD on everything I need to know about running an alky motor.

Last edited:

jbooker82

I dont know how bad they would do it with these small motors but I have seen a drag banshee running away. Nothing like seeing a motor rev like the throttle is WOT and no real way to shut it down. Put it in gear and dump the cluch with the brakes held on.

IETZR1S

I ran methanol in my OBR 57.0LR twin for a summer. It was FAF. Itjust was not worth it to me. My run times on meth were 4-7 minutes. You will spend time keeping up on the tune. It is not a set it and forget it deal. Here is a video of MB on meth. Speeds were 90mph/144kph. I have since switched back to gasoline.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBfLdxHcx_o[/ame]

187bajass

I ran methanol in my OBR 57.0LR twin for a summer. It was FAF. Itjust was not worth it to me. My run times on meth were 4-7 minutes. You will spend time keeping up on the tune. It is not a set it and forget it deal. Here is a video of MB on meth. Speeds were 90mph/144kph. I have since switched back to gasoline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBfLdxHcx_o
GOD DAMMM that thing moves!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Kbracing96

That is a very powerful motor setup! Since your motor was not really built to take advantage of the Meth, it really wouldn't be very beneficial for you to run over gas in it anyway. You already have tons of power! ;)

U-WOT

hey, im glad ive seen this. i was thinking of going with an obr methanil engine to replace my fullmod.i was searching for days and found nothing that could help me decide. looking at a 29.5 pp or the methanol reedcase for my fg baja tarmac terror.
will be keeping up with this thread, hope it goes well.

Bear racing25

yes sir no brainer, i will say this we had some 499's we never used and decided why not we had plenty of experience from growing up racing go carts, to micros, dirt latemodels also with a father that builds racing engines for a living and specializing in alcohol carbs where could we go wrong?.. anyway we decided that we would bolt up a 499 on a obr 27.2 full mod on our edm oval car and race it against the other 10 gasers lets just say it was sick and id be willing to bet this season we wont be the only ones.. haha anyway 927 works real good it cuts better with alky than gas anyway carbon is nothing compared to ams oil stay away from that in my opinion..... and yes you will use more alcohol but for the power its worth it pluse the smell when yours is sitting with everyone elses and they are on gas!....... and ive seen a few alcohol motors running away! not a baja yet!!! but 2 stroke detonating is common lets not get it twisted but honestly try it you cant go wrong and if you dont like it when it needs a rebuild dont go down the same road....

Kbracing96

yes sir no brainer, i will say this we had some 499's we never used and decided why not we had plenty of experience from growing up racing go carts, to micros, dirt latemodels also with a father that builds racing engines for a living and specializing in alcohol carbs where could we go wrong?.. anyway we decided that we would bolt up a 499 on a obr 27.2 full mod on our edm oval car and race it against the other 10 gasers lets just say it was sick and id be willing to bet this season we wont be the only ones.. haha anyway 927 works real good it cuts better with alky than gas anyway carbon is nothing compared to ams oil stay away from that in my opinion..... and yes you will use more alcohol but for the power its worth it pluse the smell when yours is sitting with everyone elses and they are on gas!....... and ive seen a few alcohol motors running away! not a baja yet!!! but 2 stroke detonating is common lets not get it twisted but honestly try it you cant go wrong and if you dont like it when it needs a rebuild dont go down the same road....
Now that's what I wanna hear!!! :D

shreadhead

Media
I have nothing but fun with my Methanol motor.
The video will help and get you goin easyer.
The carb is a 990 on the obr motors so it has a pump bulb to make it even easyer to start and purge. I have not had a run away but i have squeaked a few motors in testing. The motor I ran in silverlake last year had over 6 gallons before the rebuild and ran like a dream the hole time. You'll know when its time for rings, the idle wants to climb all the time becuase of compression.

Have fun, and here are some meth videos from the beach watch in full screen HD1080

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh3TcwupDbE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ZJ-C8UZko[/ame]

Kbracing96

Those vids were AWESOME! I've seen the first one, but not the second! I'm stoked now. Finally got to run a couple tanks of gas though it today before I broke it... Got a little to close to a chain link fence and it turned on the Baja magnet and sucked me in! lol. Broke the steering arm on the servo saver... :(

So now gotta wait till I can get another one. Wanted to get a good feel for it on gas before I switch to meth. Today was the most I've been able to run it before breaking, lol. Oh well, I guess that's the game. ;)