80 MPH Brushless 5T Speed Run - No Custom Gearing

PyroZona

Here's what I shot today - my Baja 5T with 18/54 gearing doing 80.1 MPH. Mostly so I can submit it to MaxAmps and get my 70 MPH club t-shirt, lol.

[ame]http://youtu.be/iKTvPJ9gFNs[/ame]

Details of my setup are in the video description, in case anyone is wondering.

WOO HOO!

PyroZona

Watch the video. You'll see I have my phone in a perfectly-sized Ziploc bag, and that is taped and ziptied to the stock 5T rollcage. I used an app called Speedometer, which uses GPS to determine the current, average and maximum speed.

Last edited:

PyroZona

The one I used is called Speedometer. There are a number of them by that name, but the one I used is by App Aspect. It's one of the few that will give you a speed reading with a decimal place...not just whole numbers. Hence the 80.1 instead of just 80 MPH.

tetsulo

Nice run PyroZona!

Does the MGM ESC do logging?

If so have you checked it out? what are you pulling for amps, RPM, etc.

Got a couple new pinion gears in the mail yesterday - a 17 and a 19 tooth, hoping to do some experimentation this weekend :) Maybe even swap over to the CC 780KV :) Don't have anything here as long as straight and flat as you do tho for a speed run.

PyroZona

Yeah, the MGM does do logging. I just haven't pulled 'em off to my laptop yet. I know I had my motor timing set at 10 degrees prior to this run and was only able to hit about 69 MPH. But after reviewing the VERY lengthy MGM manual, I learned that 15 degrees is well within the realm of "Eh...that's pretty much normal and won't hurt it a bit", according to MGM. So I set it to 15 degrees for this run, expecting to only hit just above 70 or so MPH. Apparently, I underestimated! HEH!!

Oh, and MiRatlhead - actually, the strobe setting on my cree LEDs on the front bumper are so that any cars that may turn onto my block while my back is turned will see my Baja blazing towards them so they can avoid it! I had an almost OOPS kinda incident when doing my last speed run on my street (if you've seen my 65 MPH speed run video, you'll see what I mean...lol), and I think having the lights in strobe mode was definitely the reason my Baja didn't become an integral part of the car that DID turn down my street at that time! It was kinda close....haha.

MiRatlhed

Oh, and MiRatlhead - actually, the strobe setting on my cree LEDs on the front bumper are so that any cars that may turn onto my block while my back is turned will see my Baja blazing towards them so they can avoid it! .

Yeah I saw those LED's and thought what a great idea that was for these speed runs. I am gonna watch that video now to see the close call....haha

EDIT: OH MAN, you would of had to get the floor jack out if that would of impacted that vehicle! Whew....close one.

Last edited:

Dastuffuwant

Nice run, 80mph with that gearing amazing, i could only hit about 48mph with those gears and a 780kv castle motor and xl2. You must have the magic touch. lol

PyroZona

That's pretty cool!! Would you get anymore speed out of it if you dropped it down and stiffened up the suspension??
Hmmmm...dunno. Perhaps? Maybe I'll give that a shot before putting it up for sale. Stay tuned....

Nice run, 80mph with that gearing amazing, i could only hit about 48mph with those gears and a 780kv castle motor and xl2. You must have the magic touch. lol
Nope...no magic touch. MGM ComPro!! LOL! Oh, and 15 degrees timing advance. :innocent:

Sandblaster

Grats on your new personal record, thats one fast baja ! :)

Have anyone tried changing the timing on the XL2 ? Its on 10degree now "normal", might try 15 "high".

Last edited:

Oli&Ril77's

Grats on your new personal record, thats one fast baja ! :)

Have anyone tried changing the timing on the XL2 ? Its on 10degree now "normal", might try 15 "high".
go for it and report back! I'll try it also in a couple of weeks. My suggestion though would be to go easy the first couple of times and monitor temps on the esc and motor!

modojojo

Very nice may I ask what tires are you using, and you must have your suspension dialed In lovely. I have your exact same setup In my 5T, except I'm running 2 max amp 6s 4800mah batteries for a total of 12s. When ever It gets on throttle the back starts to breakaway.
also did you change any speed or punch settings to the ESC through the MGM software.