5B

Wackem

Hi im new here as im about to get a new 5b. Ive been doin lots of research on this an really like the kraken kit. My questions on the 5b how is the kraken kit is it durable? Also I will be upgrading my 5b engine to an OBR engine can the stock 5b handle those engines or will I have to change gearin? If so whats the best setup. Thinkin the 7.5hp full mod. I dont know much about the wheel set up but am lookin at the proline beadlock wheels for it but notice that the rears an front are differant sizes can you run all same size front and rear? Thanks in advance.

Chief409

With the OBR 7.5 HP engine you'll need to update the pinion and spur gears, at a minimum. Lots of info in the Engine and Transmission/Suspension topic threads. Quick answer here: I have a OBR Full Mod 30.5 long stroke in the 5b, with the following to handle the power: Turtle Racing V2 clutch kit, DDM Black Magic 19/55 Turtle V2 pinion and spur gears, Turtle Racing Quick Change Diff and Tranny with stock tranny gears, Hostile Fixed 2 degree Big Bearing rear hubs, Phatdad lower rear arms and Phatdad 5mm cups and dogbones. Plus Kraken Stainless Steel arm pins on the front and rear. And DGI tie rods to keep it all going straight. Double the power from stock and it gets more expensive. Faster then a "Bat outta He**" though!

And after I hit something in the sand, it has a Kraken X3 chassis, Kraken front lower and upper arms, new front shock. 30 plus pounds at speed hitting a solid object, something is going to give, in this case the stock chassis, left front shock and arm.

Last edited:

Monster550

Welcome to hbf, where you from? If you're in the process of shopping for a 5b I'd suggest a 5sc for what you want. You'll have better parts to start with that you come upgrade as you go and it'll save you money in the long run. You can run t/sc fronts all around, but I wouldn't run b rears all around. I would also suggest just running the stock motor while upgrading to stronger parts as it isn't cheap. A few things not listed that I would also look into include turtle racing shock towers, turtle top plates, and a phatdad fan saver. For starters check out some outerwears and shock covers. If you do swap the motor upon purchase you can sell the stocker to help out too if you insist on that route. Joining here was definitely a step in the right direction, good luck.

Wackem

Thanks for the advise reason im goin with 5b is its already built i can always upgrade it ive never built one before. Looks complicated lol sure i could do it in time.

Chief409

Ditto for what Monster550 said. I do have all that on my 5b and it's all going in the CLS 1 build. Figured I'd order a custom 5b from OBR knowing it would be built right, and from experience building rigs new to me, I knew if I bought a stocker it'd end up costing me too much $$$ going through the upgrade process learning on my own. I just added the Phatdad arms and cup/bone kit, Kraken hinge pins and the Hostile Big Bearing rear hubs. definitely worth the money, every cent.

I've looked on DDM and can't find 5sc front hubs. Anyone see them, I might be using the wrong search terms.

Last edited:

Monster550

5t's come ready to run also, the 5b ss and 5sc ss are the kits with upgraded parts. Keep in mind you'll need about $100 worth of 5t/5sc parts to run the kraken cage, plus the 5t/sc rims/tires if you'd not gonna run the 5b's. Maybe a cheaper route would be to find one used with some upgraded parts on it and build from there.

Wackem

Im from Fla and thanks for the welcome nothing like a good forum with friendly people an lots of useful info . I have athing about buyin used u dont know wht kinda probs ur gettin id rathe jus buy it new an know wht i have. Ya its more money but feels better. An yes defin more money but thts apart of the hobby.