5B SS or RTR?

electricrc68

Hey guys. I'm getting close to ordering my first baja, and would like to know which I should get: the RTR or the 5B SS. I have a kit built SCX10 which I kind of enjoyed building, but would have preferred a RTR a little bit more. It wasn't too fun (maybe sometimes it was), but the bonus was that I could use my own electronics. Plus, I know how it all goes together, so taking it apart is no biggie. Just from some reading here I have read that the 5B SS comes with clipless front hubs, and a new rear hub carrier thats only one piece, along with super heavy duty drive shafts. Of course, it has the 26cc engine paired with that not so good tuned pipe. :D So I was just wondering if the 5B SS is actually worth it just for that, or if I should just go RTR and upgrade those later on? I'm leaning towards SS just because of the upgrades and familiarity I will have with the car. Is it that hard to build?

Last edited:

Basher2000

Go Ss man, you get to learn the Baja first hand making fixes that much quicker. Get a killswitch, throttle/brake servo, and radio gear and you are good to go! Upgrade as you break

Matthew27330

IMO.. I would rather have clips on hubs if you hit something it will shear the clip instead of breaking parts..(ask me how I know)
The RTR kit will be fine for 90% of the people.. When parts wear/break replace I would go RTR that way I don't have to BUILD

ajb1205

SS all the way. Its a great way to learn how to tear apart and build your baja. Plus choosing your own servo and radio gear is a huge plus in my book. For me building/fixing/upgrading is almost more fun than driving it.

NIDGE

go the SS . you will get to know your Baja from the inside out . And yes get that kill switch first ! ENJOY IT :)

electricrc68

Go Ss man, you get to learn the Baja first hand making fixes that much quicker. Get a killswitch, throttle/brake servo, and radio gear and you are good to go! Upgrade as you break
SS all the way. Its a great way to learn how to tear apart and build your baja. Plus choosing your own servo and radio gear is a huge plus in my book. For me building/fixing/upgrading is almost more fun than driving it.
go the SS . you will get to know your Baja from the inside out . And yes get that kill switch first ! ENJOY IT :)
Thanks guys! Yeah I have already received my super bee kill switch, and I have a receiver for my Futaba radio already. I plan on running the Hitec HS5645MG servo as a throttle servo.

IMO.. I would rather have clips on hubs if you hit something it will shear the clip instead of breaking parts..(ask me how I know)
The RTR kit will be fine for 90% of the people.. When parts wear/break replace I would go RTR that way I don't have to BUILD
Thanks! That sounds interesting...I would rather have a clip shear as well. I don't mind building it...I mean I do enjoy driving more, but building is fun sometimes too. The SS does come with some nice goods in there too...the clipless hubs were apparently a good point based on my readings.

Basher2000

Sounds good, the hitec 5645 is a good starter servo. And the clipped hubs are more of a nuisance than anything. Lose a hub out bashing without any spares and your packing up. I need to get those as an upgrade

electricrc68

Sounds good, the hitec 5645 is a good starter servo. And the clipped hubs are more of a nuisance than anything. Lose a hub out bashing without any spares and your packing up. I need to get those as an upgrade
Ah okay I see thanks. Yeah I'll go with the SS then. Hopefully its a fun build. It'll be my second kit build ever.

zignzag

Good choice. I have the 5bss, older version, and enjoyed the build. The new 5bss is nicer since they updated the upgrades. The option pipe is a bit of a bugger to install but fits nice, the little body clip that holds the clamp on the 2 piece option pipe is a bit of a pain to stick through the tiny holes in the clamp and will take some patience but an be done. Kill switch is a good upgrade start and upgrade as things break

electricrc68

Good choice. I have the 5bss, older version, and enjoyed the build. The new 5bss is nicer since they updated the upgrades. The option pipe is a bit of a bugger to install but fits nice, the little body clip that holds the clamp on the 2 piece option pipe is a bit of a pain to stick through the tiny holes in the clamp and will take some patience but an be done. Kill switch is a good upgrade start and upgrade as things break
Thanks! I actually stumbled upon your posts in my search about that pin being a pain to install. I may sell the option pipe off the bat though and might go ahead and purchase a CPI pipe. Not sure though...will have to see how much funds I have available at that time.

Monsterman

MonstermanHBF
Staff member
Media
I'd go with the SS Kit like the others have said you get to build it yourself, learn the in's and out's not to mention you can choose your radio gear and also some nice upgrades come in the SS Kit already..

electricrc68

I'd go with the SS Kit like the others have said you get to build it yourself, learn the in's and out's not to mention you can choose your radio gear and also some nice upgrades come in the SS Kit already..
Thanks! Yeah I'll be going with the SS. Don't have to deal with that little RTR radio...I can drop my 4PLS in there right away. Plus, as you said, the upgrades are a positive point, and knowing the car in and out for when it breaks. It doesn't look like too bad of a build. I'm watching the Team Fast Eddy videos on the 5B SS build currently.

Baja_dude

if you like to build things by your self and enjoy it go with the SS all the way thats the fun part, trust me you will not regret

electricrc68

if you like to build things by your self and enjoy it go with the SS all the way thats the fun part, trust me you will not regret
Thanks! I don't mind building...in fact, I do find it fun at times. Besides, after building my first kit, I'm kind of hooked on kits because of the extras they come with and the fact that you can sort of make them your own by painting the body yourself. I'm planning on white with black stripes for the baja. :D

Baja_dude

Thanks! I don't mind building...in fact, I do find it fun at times. Besides, after building my first kit, I'm kind of hooked on kits because of the extras they come with and the fact that you can sort of make them your own by painting the body yourself. I'm planning on white with black stripes for the baja. :D
mine I painted with airbrush I spray black pearl and painted the angry Subaru Manga Pig color orange to match the SS orange parts :) .... it look so cool!

65BAJA

I just received my 2014 5B SS on Friday. Had it built by noon the next day. Took it out and had a blast. I'm loving the gas motor thing. I have electric cars and they are great but LiPos are expensive. I have Nitro MT's and they sound wicked but tuning them constantly is a pain. The gas just goes and goes. The tank lasts soo long. I'm thinking now I'll sell a few of my other cars.

Gas is where it's at!

electricrc68

mine I painted with airbrush I spray black pearl and painted the angry Subaru Manga Pig color orange to match the SS orange parts :) .... it look so cool!
That sounds awesome! I unfortunately do not have an airbrush, so I use those small tamiya or pactra spray paint cans. Do you have pictures of your car? I'd like to see it if you do.

I just received my 2014 5B SS on Friday. Had it built by noon the next day. Took it out and had a blast. I'm loving the gas motor thing. I have electric cars and they are great but LiPos are expensive. I have Nitro MT's and they sound wicked but tuning them constantly is a pain. The gas just goes and goes. The tank lasts soo long. I'm thinking now I'll sell a few of my other cars.

Gas is where it's at!
Sweet sounds like its a nice car! I've been strictly electric for the whole 3 years I've been in this hobby (hence the username) so its a jump for me to try something that runs of actual liquid fuel. The appeal is the sound, smoke, and smell actually. :D