5b power loss with tuned pipe

Thread starter #1
Hey guys, I fitted a JetPro v3 tuned pipe without muffler to my 5b. Once warmed up its insanely loud and fast when it "hits the pipe" so to speak. Then after about the second pass down the field it loses ALL of its mid to top end power. So much so that it feels like a smaller engine with stock can muffler.

After shutting engine off, idling or even slow driving for several minutes it gets all its power back again. I don't get this problem with either stock can muffler or the HPI SS tuned pipe the 5b came with.

I've tried adjusting carb either way, using different oils and ratios, 95 and 97 ron gas, all bolts are tight, no leaks anywhere, it starts very easy, stays running and idles smoothly and engine cooling fins are clear.

My setup if any of this helps:

Zenoah G270rc stock motor, wt-1107 carb

stock 17/57 gearing

Proline bow tie rear tyres

Oh and I'm running mainly on grass which gets cut fairly regularly so is rarely taller than an inch or two

Any ideas? I'm just about out of 'em.

Thanks a whole bunch.

Trigger D.

what was the motor temp? sounds like it might be lean? i know after changing pipes you will need to retune the carb. running in grass, is there a lot of clippings inside the motor housing and plastic parts? this will also lead to excessive motor temps and loss of power.

Thread starter #3
Thanks for the response. Problem is now fixed. It turned out to be a worn piston ring and damaged cylinder. It runs absolutely superb now, lots of consistent power. Thanks again.