2014 5b ss

Thread starter #1

65BAJA

Does anyone know if the #112457 2014 5B SS kit has started shipping yet? Tower says available late December. Well, it's pretty late in December already. My Tower club membership expires in Early January.

Thread starter #5

65BAJA

From what I can tell the 2014 version will have clipless front hubs, different tuned pipe, one piece rear hub carriers, and super heavy duty drive shafts. It's only $10 more than the current 5B SS. I figured I would wait. Maybe...

zignzag

Option pipe looks the same but with the steel header/manifold instead of the aluminum one. Its nice they upgraded to the clipless front hubs and beefed up rear parts from the 5sc

Samc1

New SS

Just ordered 1 from Tower shipped from Reno,NV 1-3-14. First time Baja
owner !! Had a lot of 10th scale gas and electric. Can't wait !!:clap:

Thread starter #9

65BAJA

Ok, so I worked until 5:30 this morning on it and finally had to call it. Got up and finished the shocks and tires. Put the motor through a heat cycle 10 on 10 off. Drove it around for about a quarter of a tank in the yard. Took it to the local MX riding spot and drove it around for another maybe third of a tank. Hit a couple small softball sized rocks and broke one of the front lower control arms. Went to the local hobby store and bought one set of RPM arms.

Baja ownership day one.
Full gas can $6.47
33oz bottle of 927 $23.12
RPM front lower arms and some paint $34.82

Dirby

Baja ownership day one.
Full gas can $6.47
33oz bottle of 927 $23.12
RPM front lower arms and some paint $34.82
if you keep doing this on what you spend on your Baja it will drive you nuts.
my first order to DDM after i bought my first Baja was over 1100.00

Thread starter #11

65BAJA

If you keep doing this on what you spend on your Baja it will drive you nuts.
my first order to DDM after i bought my first Baja was over 1100.00
I know what you mean. I have probably $2000 in upgrades in my "wish list" at DDM. Plus another $273 in the shopping cart currently.

Had a good day with the Baja today, kinda. Finished the first tank of gas. Went to fill it and all I had was the full gas can, no oil!:cursing::cursing::cursing:. Also noticed the front of the chassis starting to bend in the usual spot where they all break. I need to get that brace thingy before I run it again.

So it was on to the Revo. This thing has been sitting in my garage for 4 years. The tries are/were apparently rotten. I got maybe a 1/4 tank before one tire flung a large patch of tread 40 ft through the air.:mellow::mellow: :lol::lol:

I had been at the MX park for a couple of hours though by that time so I packed it all up and went home.

Thread starter #12

65BAJA

Day three of running the Baja. Manny manny crashes. No broken parts. Thanks DDM for the special on the chassis brace last week. It saved my Baja many times today.

The day was not completely without carnage though. The stock tuned pipe is now all bent up. The steel header seems fine. The expansion chamber it self though is in bad shape. A few of the crashes must have landed on the tail end of the car because the pipe is pushed forward into the back of the cylinder. So the bend by the coupler is all out of wack and is also dented by the exhaust bolt. The tip was all mashed in too. Made it sound kinda funny. No woo woo though. Other carnage includes a bent stock rear shock mount brace, and the spark plug came loose.

Of course the rear tires are worn out now too.

So next week we will have:
TR rear shock mount brace $39
Hostile MX Hard rear tires $39.99
Various shims from Fstedy $14
Superfly DDM Beanie $2.99

Last edited:
Thread starter #13

65BAJA

Day four. Busted front bulkhead by the right upper control arm mount. Could have happened yesterday. Second tank of the day Baja started to run like crap. Really rich. I changed the air filter and wow! It's like the turbo kicked in. The dirty filter had maybe 4.5 tanks on it. It was pretty bad. Also installed the can muffler. Nice and quiet now. Back tires are almost completely slick now. Gotta get the Hostile MX's ordered Monday for next weekend. Also started in on the 927 premix. Smells good. Must be the castor oil.

Thread starter #14

65BAJA

Put a half tank through it today. I had installed a silicone exhaust hose on the can muffler to deflect the oil off the shock mount. I think it robbed me of some power. I'm going to try it again tomorrow at a spot where I can really open it up. I had to lean it out 1/8th turn just to get it to rev out. I was at a higher altitude today though. That probably had something to do with it.

Bahabob

The 2014 5b upgrades are nice. But if you want to run tracks/snowmobile conversion you have to convert to the pre 2014 rear hub carriers.

Thread starter #16

65BAJA

Loctite!

Bashin around in the back yard today. Brought it in so I could eat a PB&J. Gave the car a once over before finishing out the tank and I see that 3 of the 4 M6x14mm countersunk screws that hold the rear chassis plate to the main chassis are just gone. :cursing:Looks like my day is over.:*(

Cody01

Bashin around in the back yard today. Brought it in so I could eat a PB&J. Gave the car a once over before finishing out the tank and I see that 3 of the 4 M6x14mm countersunk screws that hold the rear chassis plate to the main chassis are just gone. :cursing:Looks like my day is over.:*(
That sucks.

KYHI

Purchased my first 1/5 Scale on Jan 22 - It was the 2014 5B SS kit - then purchased all the parts needed to convert it to a 5SC SS along with the optional HD parts.. With just over $1800 Invested, the build is complete and it is RTR, just gotta paint the shell.. When I figure out the paint scheme, it's a Big Body and I have a lot of scheme and color choices to decide.. Although I'm 51, I don't enjoy running them, Just enjoy building them.. So it will most likely just sit on a shelf for years....

Thread starter #19

65BAJA

Finally got a chance to put a good tune on the motor with the new VRC Big Bore Silenced pipe. I was rich on the high by 1/4 turn and I might be able to get another 1/16th to a full 1/8 out of it. I was rich by 3/16 on the low speed. Much better acceleration now.

I like the pipe but I kinda thought it would give me more power. I think I'm going to put the can back on again to see the difference. I need a little GPS or at least one of the rpm trackers. I like how the pipe is not loud. It may not be as quiet as the can but it's not annoying at all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ki6hnb/12531497185/

P.S. I used to be able to post pics no problem with my old PC laptop. I'm on a Mac now and can't figure out how to post a pic to save myself. Grrr

Last edited: