16:1 oil ?

ATC Racing

i have been reading a few high rpm boat engine builders are recomending

8 ozs of oil to 1 gallon of fuel , what are the thoughts on this ? more oil more compression ?

or is it because there at full rpms for over minutes at a time ?

thanks guys

Dan S

it looks like the consensus for the oil mix is 25 to 32:1 (I believe that some use higher ratio), with that said, everyone has there preferred ratio.
I am a boat guy and I run 16:1 in my boats and in my Baja, as you can see I am one of the few that runs that much oil in their Baja's.
all I can say is that my Baja run's great, no foul plugs, and its not smoking like a house on fire.

but this is what I like, just my 2 cents worth.

Dan.

Last edited:

bigkel

If your engine is doing long runs at full throttle it would help keep the cly lubed. I run at 20:1 and it doesnt effect performance at all.

XRMikey

Ditto. I run 20:1 in my boats & 25:1 in my Baja. But I have run 20:1 in my Baja without any performance loss.
Full Synthetic.

sucram

There are various theories.

More comp due to better ring seal
You can lean the mixture out a touch without too much concern about seizing it

bajabence

25:1 as i dont think its a benefit to go any richer, more oil helps protect to a certain point, if the manufactors thought 25:1 wasnt enought they would of said 16:1,

going from 50:1 to 25:1 may gain a tiny bit of compression, but going from 25:1 to 16:1 i doubt there is any gain

i use full synthetic like redline, castor is nasty and just builds up carbon, thats why klotz says RACE engines only

fernandez

I run also similar to bigkel. I find that our engines wear fast especially when ported. Cilinder plating is weak, extra oil doesn't hurt performance that much and will increae engine life.

RCing

So is 16:1 more oil or 25:1? Which ratio has more oil and keeps the engine better lubed? I dont care for performance, I am just a basher.

EarthSurfer

I think the thick oil mix the boat guys use may come from the higher performance top dollar engines like the QD engine. It uses a Zen crank and piston, but makes 7.3hp at a high RPM. That much power, at that much RPM showed to be hard on the bottom rod bearing on their dyno testing (especially with CY cranks), so they mix 8 to 10 ounces to help keep that bearing lubed well. They also found, from the oils they tested (don't know which ones) that the Honda HP2 oil worked best for them--and I don't think they will warrenty the engine if you do not use that oil. I am building a few QD top ends on reed cases, and plan on doing exactly what QD recommends.

Zen engineers are pretty sharp also. Personally, I trust them when they say use 25:1 for their engines.

Doug @ ESP

ATC Racing

well i tested it out today with 16:1 and i noticed a few things , ran cooler and after about 40 min rinning 25:1 i usally slow down a little on the snappyness due to the heat i guess . i had alot more snap the whole tank , performance seemed the same if not better , so i guess what im saying is it helps a little but not needed , i have 2 gallons mixed so im going to run it for now , castor 927 16:1

IILLUSIONSS

the oil content needs to be a lot higher due to running wot the whole time

between a 13 and 15-1 ratio is what the majority of rc boaters use

which is 8 - 10 oz's per gallon

no loss of power and you gain some compression through raising the oil content

motor life increases dramatically

maxima 927

Hp 2

coolpower

are all top oils , and IMO synthetic is the only way to go

Last edited:

sucram

well i tested it out today with 16:1 and i noticed a few things , ran cooler and after about 40 min rinning 25:1 i usally slow down a little on the snappyness due to the heat i guess . i had alot more snap the whole tank , performance seemed the same if not better , so i guess what im saying is it helps a little but not needed , i have 2 gallons mixed so im going to run it for now , castor 927 16:1
Did you go leaner on any of your needles?