12v power supply

ektoz

Hi guys
In my contry is very hard to get a power supply for my quick chargers that are more than 5A
so i made my own from a pc power supply that was around for ages
its a very nice mod

Dirby

this is all good and well if you have the tools and knowhow to do this .
i don't.
i bought a power supply from radioshack 15 amp.

turboglenn

I have 2 the same way.. I love how you can mix voltages and get all sorts of variations from 3.3 to 5, +12, -12 and any combo of them. best and cheapest power supply i've ever bought..put it in a nice little project case from radio hack and it's lasted years at 1/8th the price of a commercial unit that only can handle 1 amp

Turbo Turtle

Hi guys
In my contry is very hard to get a power supply for my quick chargers that are more than 5A
so i made my own from a pc power supply that was around for ages
its a very nice mod

It's a nice beer warmer and cigarette holder too.

kraken

If someone else wants to do this; it's a good project but there's only one _big_ pothole you don't want to fall in.

"AT" power supplies are the easiest to convert, although they pull less amps, but don't have the pitfall.

"ATX" power supplies can pull more amps on the 12V rail, but some power supplies have 2 12V rails (like one that's good up to 8A and the other that can pull up to 16A; it's written on the power supply itself). Just don't solder the wires from both rails together or you can get a nice smoke show.

If you want to convert an ATX power supply that's laying around, I suggest you do like me and read this throughout. It's a great little howto.

Now I got to follow another howto and convert my lathe/mill combo to CNC :drool:

pastrana#199

If someone else wants to do this; it's a good project but there's only one _big_ pothole you don't want to fall in.

"AT" power supplies are the easiest to convert, although they pull less amps, but don't have the pitfall.

"ATX" power supplies can pull more amps on the 12V rail, but some power supplies have 2 12V rails (like one that's good up to 8A and the other that can pull up to 16A; it's written on the power supply itself). Just don't solder the wires from both rails together or you can get a nice smoke show.

If you want to convert an ATX power supply that's laying around, I suggest you do like me and read this throughout. It's a great little howto.

Now I got to follow another howto and convert my lathe/mill combo to CNC :drool:
got a link to the cnc how to?

Eggbert

Now if that giant golden peanut has been stolen in Dothan, we know how Dirby came up with the money for his power supply.

Dunner

You can get the puter power supplies at Goodwill for ~$5.00. If they don't work,
you can take them back for store credit, but the credit is only good for two weeks.

I have one under my work bench for testing purposes. I installed a panel with on/off
switch, various connectors, power on light, 120 volts, fuse, and a continuity buzzer.