HPIBajaForum  

Go Back   HPIBajaForum > HPI Baja Garage > HPI Baja Engine and Exhaust

Sponsors
RC Discount Search

FullForceRC
Vertigo Performance
Axis R/C
Turtle Racing
Use HBF as the coupon code for 5% off!!!
DGI Racing
Tulare Hobbies
HPI Racing
Large Scale RC
W.S.E
Team Phatdad RC
Oniell Brothers
Micro Hobby US
Killer-RC

Help Needed - Stripped out spark plug stuck cylinder head

Discussion in HPI Baja Engine and Exhaust forum, started by Diplo.

Turtle Racing Products

Old 12-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (0)
Unhappy Help Needed - Stripped out spark plug stuck cylinder head

Hey all. So thnxs so much to the baja maniacs first off.

I had a plug bent wen i rolled my baja (yes no plug cover yet using was using the long irridium plug) so went and changed with a spare NGK plugs ee150 - NGK CMR7A Spark Plug. Once i got it in run it for a 5mins and brought it round back to check the plug. As I was unscrewing it felt as if it hadnt been tightened up. Pulled the cap off and half and the plug was cut in half and insanely hot now I have the half of the plug stuck in the head and needed some way of getting it out with out stripping out the engine.

Any suggestions most welcome
Old 12-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Dog Pile Racing Products
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (8)
First off you need to account for every part of the plug. Extra chunks in the motor are not good. You should be able to use an easy out bit or just the right size torx bit. Tap the bit into the hole in the center of the plug and back it out. If it is not too mangled you may even be able to just stick a screwdriver in the hole pushing down while backing out.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Baja Maniac

Nice thnxs Underdog...from what I can see its not mangled at all just really really hard to turn it back out. Either im not using the right tools or something...Strange is that this plug is brand new and was damn hot way more than normal or than my other plugs. its cutt off just about before it reaches the plastic engine cover.

BTW im noo too good with tool names kinda a new. Could you send me a link for a torx driver bit etc.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Baja Maniac

Hope you didn't heave on the spark plug when doing it up. Hope it works out for ya and as underdog said any chucks bit or small in your cylinder can cause trouble
Old 12-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Dog Pile Racing Products
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplo View Post
Nice thnxs Underdog...from what I can see its not mangled at all just really really hard to turn it back out. Either im not using the right tools or something...Strange is that this plug is brand new and was damn hot way more than normal or than my other plugs. its cutt off just about before it reaches the plastic engine cover.

BTW im noo too good with tool names kinda a new. Could you send me a link for a torx driver bit etc.
I usually pick up the $5 screwdriver bit sets from the Depot or Lowes just for misc bits to use for an easyout. I do use a higher quality set for working on the baja. A torx bit is shaped like a star. Most of the scredriver sets have them in it. If your unsure of what they are take a trip there and the ask the tool guys. Kind of hard to explain exactly what they are. Pretty easy to Google also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DogPile Racing; 12-20-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Riding the short bus
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (16)
You just gave it a shock
back it out with some heat on it and clean the threads before the new plug.
Don't drill if you can grab it.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Baja Maniac

If it broke off just before the plastic cover, take the cover off and see if you can grab it sideways with some vice grips, channel locks or any kind of pliers. However, I fear that since you said it got tighter as you were unscrewing it there may be a broken thread or something that's binding it up. If there is, you may need to take the head off and screw it clockwise all the way through and out. Or in and out, in and out until it breaks free. Good luck.

Last edited by CHIZZLE; 12-20-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Dog Pile Racing Products
Baja Maniac

Pictures are allways a good idea to get some better ideas on how to deal with it.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Turtle Tech-HBF Mod
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (49)
You have to be careful on the plug choice for the Baja, the CMR7A that you used has a much shorter reach than the standard CMR7H and will not fill in all the threads in the plug hole in the head, I have seen a couple of those shorty's burn the threads at the end of the plug hole and damage them resulting in a PItA to remove spark plug. Pressure and patients mite work it out but most likely you will have to pull the head to remove the plug ,clean the threads, and remove any foreign material that may have fell in the head..
Old 12-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (1)
Hit it with pb blaster as well .if your threads are all binded up it can really healp ease it along
Old 12-21-2010, 02:52 AM
Baja Maniac

Ok tried everything I could last night but the plug just won't budge. I thought damn now I have to strip the engine out...was already late so will be doing it to night and let fine oaks know of the outcome. BTW I managed to pick nice quality torx set..shot Underdog
Old 12-21-2010, 03:29 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (4)
you've got all the advice ya need on removing the plug but i wanted to add a couple things

1.) use anti-sieze compound on the threads of the spark plugs when you install them (this helps avoid this issue in the future and is good practive on any engine with an aluminum head)

2.)IIRC the threads for the head are M10 x 1.0 if you end up needing a tap to fix.chase the threads with.

also, as some have stated, if you get the plug out and any pieces are missing, pull the head off and split the cases and make sure that you find and remove any little peices that might be left behind. The bearings on the inside are not sealed like the bearings in the wheels of the baja so little pieces could get stuck/wedged in there, so don't forget to check them if you do find there's pieces of the plug down in the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplo
shot UnderDog
Now, underDog is a good dude why on earth would you shoot him j/k just bustin your chops
Old 12-21-2010, 04:32 AM
Banned
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (2)
The plug is not a standard size as far as I know. 10mm, but ? pitch. It's not 1.0. My 10x1.0 will not screw in without force.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Dog Pile Racing Products
Baja Maniac

She must really be stuck. If all your attemps fail, I could take a look at it for you. All I ask is you cover shipping costs. Another option would be to take it to a local mechanic or machinist. Just keep in ming a new cylinder can be had pretty inexpensive.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:33 AM
Baja Maniac

Man you guys rock...sorry but by shot I mean thanks. Anyways still no luck with the attempt to pull it out. Have tired everything you guys have mentioned seems that I will have to pull out the engine, strip it out. Oh well guess was going to have to do it anyways needed to change the bearings and piston ring.

On another note. while I took out this engine I had bought the ESP 30.5cc on from DDM
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....t.A/id.4518/.f
with the clutch and carb. My prob is while im waiting for the gasket kit to arrive for the stock engine I thought might as well stick this 1 in so long and came up with a few problems.

1.) On the clutch housing there is a protruding notch with a hole just on top towards the plastic guard near the exhaust as seen in the picture (on the stock motor seems to be planned out)

2.) On the carb there is a metal bracket that has a gold color thingy on the bottom of it and I removed that but when installing the engine hits agianst the fule tank. Can I remove this?

3.) The throttle linkage does not sit properly and rubs against the top of the clutch housing.

I have been at it for almost 2 nights straight was hoping to get it ready before xmas and now its driving me bonkers. hey almost forget to ask if any of you has used this engine before how does it handle
Old 12-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (4)
the new engine should fit in just like the old one did... compare them side by side and look at how the issues you're having and how those parts are setup or modified on the original. These engines are all super simple and all the carbs have just about the same positioning for the shaft and linkage (at least when talking 603,668,813 etc..)

If nothing else try and take some pictures of your engine/car and point out the issues and we can probably give you a much clearer answer, and faster

you'll love the new engine, you'll wonder why you didn't swap them out earlier
Old 12-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Baja Maniac

Hey all I'm back and with that damn POS plug out and back to bashing. Thnxs heaps to all and btw didn't use the new 30.5 engine jut yet as still getting use to the stock. baja's kinda of high pill for me only problem is that think I am the only 1 in my little country who has 1. Can be lonely at times but then it always surprises me and grinning all over the place again LoL
Old 12-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Dog Pile Racing Products
Baja Maniac

Good to hear you have her going again. How did you get it out?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Banned
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (2)
I run mine up/down the street and do donuts in front of the kids. They love it.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:47 AM
Baja Maniac

Actually thnxs to the old pops...dad manged to left hand drill it out with some funky tool he had...figured it would be easy for him since being an engineer for Caterpillar...anyhoo lesson learned..btw You guys know of anyone from Mauritius who has a baja?