HPI Racing
Axis R/C
Team Phatdad RC
Tulare Hobbies
Killer-RC
FullForceRC
Micro Hobby US
Turtle Racing
Use HBF as the coupon code for 5% off!!!
Large Scale RC

Water cooled Quickdraw 35 Baja 5T

Discussion in HPI Baja Builds and Projects forum, started by peteyboy69.

Daves Motors

Old 07-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (0)
Water cooled Quickdraw 35 Baja 5T

Hello everyone , I am new here , my name is Pete and I have been runnung these Baja's for a few years now but before the Baja I was big into gas powered boats , in the boat world the QD 35 is the elite motor with gobs of torque and rpm's to boot it will push any size hull to blistering speeds on the water so why wouldnt it do the same on land, I am sure a few of you have asked the same question. Well seeing that I have a Pro modified QD 35 laying around , a bunch of Baja's , a ton of extra parts and am real quirious as to how it would rip , I say why not give it a twirl

Old 07-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (1)
go for it, and report the results of course,
Old 07-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (3)
i have thought this to but unfortunatly i didnt just have one lying around
Old 07-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Baja Maniac

You think the rear end can handle it?
Old 07-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Banned
Baja Maniac

Stupid question time...how does it stay cool on land-based vehicles? Wouldn't the lack of water cooling it allow it to overheat?
Old 07-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Baja Maniac

I have seen people do radiator mods...look up the 2 cylinder baja
Old 07-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (2)
i think i might want to try this project in the near future as well, first question: is the bolt pattern on the clutch side of the crankshaft the same as on an land based rc? is the spacing between the end of the crankshaft and clutch encasing the same as a land based rc?
Old 07-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned
Baja Maniac

Z, that's why I asked. I still haven't put my Herzog Hurricane together so I've got a nice marine motor sitting around doing nothing. I thought it might work nicely in the 5B if it was a relatively simple task.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Ed View Post
Z, that's why I asked. I still haven't put my Herzog Hurricane together so I've got a nice marine motor sitting around doing nothing. I thought it might work nicely in the 5B if it was a relatively simple task.
well if it is a zenoah or rcmk i would be willing to bet that the clutch assembly is pretty much bolt on and go you would just need to figure out the mounting of the rest of the vehicle. Also if you just have a regular zenoah you could just throw a DS cooling cap on it and run it dry
Old 07-31-2010, 12:07 AM
Baja Maniac

Glad to see I have sparked some interest in this project , I have been buying the parts for over a year and i have pretty much everything in alloy and carbon fiber and I will post some pics of all the stuff including the motor tomorrow and as we get to each aspect of the build I will address the fabrication issues as they arise, these are all valid questions and I will answer all of them in time. First off I am going to water cool it , I learned a lot from Saxtoft's twin cylinder build here on the forum, I emailed him and he sent me the info on where to get the radiators and a scetch of the bracket he made to accept the dual radiators ,which I must add came out awsome, hats off to him. Thanks a million Mike!!! I will use the concept of this cooling system for my build , they worked fine for the twin so they should be plenty for the QD35 single so I see no reason to deviate from something that works , I would like to keep the engine conversion as simple and strait forward as possible in hopes of bieng able to offer a bolt on kit when it is finished , one that could be installed on a stock 5b or 5T using as many stock pieces as possible. In my opinion this combination should be the one to beat , 8hp @18000rpm a ton of torque and about the same weight and handling as a stocker it will be lighter than both the 62cc and the 52 twin with about the same power , not to mention that it should readily accept any intake exhaust or clutch currently available for both the 5T or 5B , which opens up a world of performance options. You do the math. I hope it lives up to my expectations and yours. Sponsers are welcome. Thanks for your interest in this build , I will do my best.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:57 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (4)
wow, now this sounds like an interesting project. I asked mitch a long time ago if he would ever get into putting out a car motor and he just said no...that it wasnt going to happen...
i have to say, dropping the coin ona 35 and putting it in a baja is a ballsy move bro...i think it was said abaove, and i have to agree, i think your week area is going to be the tranny and i also think the exhaust will not be as easy as you think...QD's have a different exhaust port than the zenoas, but you may find one of the watercooled hotpipe adapters that are on the boat market will help...the only other issue i think might be the bolt pattern for fitting a clutch...
i have a lot of experience with the QD25HT motors, but not the 35...they are torque monsters for sure. i wish you luck and i cant wait to see how this turns out..
Old 07-31-2010, 07:19 AM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCS View Post
wow, now this sounds like an interesting project. I asked mitch a long time ago if he would ever get into putting out a car motor and he just said no...that it wasnt going to happen...
i have to say, dropping the coin ona 35 and putting it in a baja is a ballsy move bro...i think it was said abaove, and i have to agree, i think your week area is going to be the tranny and i also think the exhaust will not be as easy as you think...QD's have a different exhaust port than the zenoas, but you may find one of the watercooled hotpipe adapters that are on the boat market will help...the only other issue i think might be the bolt pattern for fitting a clutch...
i have a lot of experience with the QD25HT motors, but not the 35...they are torque monsters for sure. i wish you luck and i cant wait to see how this turns out..
Hello JCS , I appreciate your input and your concerns for the build. I have a 180degree Butch modified 35 that was in one of my 50" hydros , I will be using for the build and yes the exhaust ports are round on the QD whereas the zen or Cy have square ports so I guess I put my foot in my mouth with the pipe statement , my apologies. I believe there is an adapter plate that allows for the use of Zenoah clutch parts on the 35 although I am not sure it will work with my 35 as mine is an older model. Well time for bed , I will try to sort out these issues to the best of my abilities and thanks for the good luck wishes , I am sure i will need all the luck I can get.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Baja Maniac

Mate good to see another left field build, this will be an interesting thread to follow! looking forwards to seeing your progress.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Baja Maniac

I have been trying to post some pics for the last few days , I just cant get them to upload , I dont know what im doing wrong but I am working on it , I apologize for the delay , I know you guys are eager to see them but please bear with me till I figure it out , thanks.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Baja Maniac

Try using photobucket.com or something like that. I have had same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyboy69 View Post
I have been trying to post some pics for the last few days , I just cant get them to upload , I dont know what im doing wrong but I am working on it , I apologize for the delay , I know you guys are eager to see them but please bear with me till I figure it out , thanks.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxtoft View Post
Try using photobucket.com or something like that. I have had same issue.
Thanks for the info again Mike, you have done more so far on this build than I have , I am gonna owe you my life by the time this is over....lol
Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Baja Maniac

Donor boat ,motor & parts

Hello , I finally got some pics up . Below are some links to the boat that the motor was taken from and some of the parts for the build. I hope they show up on the post , keep your fingers crossed.

[IMG]

[/IMG]

Old 08-04-2010, 06:02 AM
Baja Maniac

Hello readers I have some bad news , after getting up close to the donor boat I realized it is a 25 not a 35 , in hindsight I remember selling the 35 in another hull a while back. I know it may sound messed up but last I counted I had 55 boats and I have not run them in years so I dont really know what I have anymore I just know that there boats in every room of the house and the basement is full of them. Well in the meantime I am gonna go ahead with the build and I will try to get my hands on another 35 so I can finish it but if I dont locate one quickly I will put the 25 in it and do the 35 later I have noticed that the 25 will be a much easier swap , not quite the same torque but it has 7+ hp so it should be ok , kinda like a CY on steroids.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Baja Maniac

some progress

Here are some pics and descriptions of the parts , I will be using Silver Alloy Front & Rear Bulkheads and a Red Alloy gear Case as soon as I get the money I have just been a little short on cash. Ideally I would have liked to use all American made parts for this build but due to the limited color options I was forced to use whatever parts that I could find in red which is why there are Integy parts used in this build , not my first choice but they are gonna have to do. The next build I do will be done in all U.S. made parts , the color scheme will not be as important.

The Chassis is a Stock Gunmetal Chassis , the Front end has Hot Racing upper & lower arms , GPM Hub carriers , Integy extended hubs , skid plate , bumper , bumper support , front Body mount supports and shock tower & braces , Python skid plate brace , Full Force body mount support brace , RD Logics front shock tower support , TGN 1k Carbon upper Chassis Plate & upper & lower Pin Braces , Proline Split Six Wheel , Proline Trencher tires & foams , Skunkworks slotted outer beadlocks , The Rear end has a TGN 1k Carbon Rear Chassis & Pinbraces , Stock Gastank , Stock Bulkheads , Gearbox w/hardened gears.

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/a...parts005-1.jpg

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/a...parts006-1.jpg

Last edited by peteyboy69; 08-05-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

I think you will have to run water cooling as opposed to a DS air cooled heatsink , as the engine case doesnt have provision for a bladed flywheel/fan to cool the head . I used a Zen boat motor a few years ago in a baja and changed the fan side of the boat motor case to a regular car motor case to run a fan and DS heatsink . It was a really good engine , factory porting with plenty of power and high rpm .