HPIBajaForum  

Go Back   HPIBajaForum > HPI Baja Garage > HPI Baja Builds and Projects > Baja E Conversions

Sponsors
RC Discount Search

HPI Racing
FullForceRC
DGI Racing
Oniell Brothers
Turtle Racing
Killer-RC
Use HBF as the coupon code for 5% off!!!
Micro Hobby US
Tulare Hobbies
Team Phatdad RC
Large Scale RC
Axis R/C
Vertigo Performance
W.S.E

Water Cooling

Discussion in Baja E Conversions forum, started by wigdowg.

Vertigo Performance

Old 07-06-2010, 02:29 AM
Contributor - Baja
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (0)
Water Cooling

I am getting ready to upgrade fully to 12S batteries. I recieved an email from Schultz that said I may want to look into water cooling my ESC as the temps will get hotter. Does any one know where I can get a sweet water cooling setup? I tried to find one online but came up with no luck.
Thanks

Old 07-06-2010, 02:45 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (1)
you can probably try looking at water cooling systems for high-end computers. I'm not sure if those would work but you never know.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:14 AM
Baja Maniac

Wigdawg,

You might want to check with Castle Creations, as they already have the water cooled Hydra HV240 ESC and might have a cooling system for it. Also, you might check with Chris Fine at Fine Design RC, as he has a cooling jacket that goes around the Neu motor and has a radiator, and might work for you! I have thought about putting one on mine!

www.finedesignrc.com
Old 07-06-2010, 05:20 AM
Contributor - Baja
Baja Maniac

the cooling system is only for a 2215, i got the 2230.
But I sent them an email anyway.
Thanks.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by avconslt View Post
Wigdawg,

You might want to check with Castle Creations, as they already have the water cooled Hydra HV240 ESC and might have a cooling system for it. Also, you might check with Chris Fine at Fine Design RC, as he has a cooling jacket that goes around the Neu motor and has a radiator, and might work for you! I have thought about putting one on mine!

www.finedesignrc.com
Castle's water cooled esc's are for boats, which use the lake as the water source and and the movement of the boat to pump the water in and out. So Castle doesn't have a cooling system to be used in anything else.

Edit: also do your research before sending finedesign any money - buyer beware. If you want a cooling jacket for a neu, I'd go to OffshoreElectrics. If they don't have one in stock, you could ask around in their "swap shop" for someone who might have used one.

Last edited by brian015; 07-06-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Baja Maniac

I don't know about that! I have bought several items from Chris with no problems! Chris has a small pump and radiator that would circulate cooling water through the Hydra HV240 as well as the water jacket on the motor. You are right about Offshore Electronics, they might have a water jacket for the Neu 2230.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Baja Maniac

I just came across this:

http://www.tcscooling.com/index.html

An OSE motor jacket could be used in place of their motor mount.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Baja Maniac

you could make a cooling jacket easily out of aluminum tubing.

crimp one end, fill with salt, crimp other end, and wrap it around the motor. remove it from the motor, and empty all the salt out. add some "preload" (make it so it fits tight over the motor). that will make a descent motor cooling jacket. you could even add some of that conductive paste stuff used on heat sinks.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Contributor - Baja
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian015 View Post
I just came across this:

http://www.tcscooling.com/index.html

An OSE motor jacket could be used in place of their motor mount.

I have been in contact with them for a few days now. I just bought a sweet ass setup.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Contributor - Baja
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRIPPPer View Post
you could make a cooling jacket easily out of aluminum tubing.

crimp one end, fill with salt, crimp other end, and wrap it around the motor. remove it from the motor, and empty all the salt out. add some "preload" (make it so it fits tight over the motor). that will make a descent motor cooling jacket. you could even add some of that conductive paste stuff used on heat sinks.

I am get that motor cooler jacket form fine design.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:00 AM
Baja Maniac

Wigdowg,

I just ordered the TCS330 Heat Exchanger, the M200P4 pump and tubing from them today for my E-Conversion with the Neu 2215 2Y motor! I am also using the water Jacket from Fine Designs. Let me know how you like yours when you get it hooked up! Right now, I am trying to figure out the best place to mount the radiator and pump! It looks like it is going to be a tight fit remounting the motor with the that water jacket on!

Richard

Last edited by avconslt; 07-16-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Baja Maniac

I know you will have to fabricate a mount to hold the radiator as it does not have any way of bolting or tying it down. You could go fancy though and mount it with two fans for cooling as well
Old 07-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Baja Maniac

SV6000,

You are reading my mind! The cooling fans are on order as well! I think I have figured out a way to mount the radiator and fans. I will let you know if it works!

Richard
Old 07-18-2010, 01:08 AM
Contributor - Baja
Baja Maniac

Please keep everyone up to date on your water cooling.
I got on order everything (Except the fans) that will ship on Monday. (also waiting for the NEU2230 water jacket.
More to Follow...
Old 07-19-2010, 04:12 AM
Baja Maniac

Man This is a great idea i have been tinking and looking around for parts to do this for cuple of years. Its gona be a cool project once its dont, keep this project going man i think alot of people are very intrested in seeing the finished baja with a working radiator!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Contributor - Baja
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyondub2z View Post
Man This is a great idea i have been tinking and looking around for parts to do this for cuple of years. Its gona be a cool project once its dont, keep this project going man i think alot of people are very intrested in seeing the finished baja with a working radiator!!!

I picked up three radiators due to the ammount of colling i want to do. I figure hook them up in a row under my B2T cage from HBZ and then I will be able to cool my NEU2230 and my ESC when I start running it at 12S lipo. I plan on having my radiators under the cage so they are protected, and if needed I will run a fan on each one of them to help with the cooling power. The only thing I am going to have to work out is hooking up a valve and relase system so I can pull my cage w/o having to refill my system. Also I am running 2 pumps as well.
Next part will be the Datalogger! Dont want to fry all the fancy parts inside because they got too hot.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Baja Maniac

Wigdawg,

What size heat exchagers did you order? Mine where 3"x2"x.5". They also had a 2"x1"x.5, which I have coming for my 1/10 scale Traxxas Slash 4x4 with the Neu 1512 2650KV motor. They also had 2 or 3 different size pumps that run on 6 volts. Scott told me that the small pump M100P4 and TCS-124 heat exchanger would be more than enough cooling for the smaller Neu 1512, and that the larger pump M200P4 and TCS-330 heat exchanger would take care of the cooling needs of the larger Neu 2215. I am still using the 4" cooling fan on my CC Hydra HV240 ESC with the two heatsinks. I have not had any cooling problems with my ESC, however, if I ever do I can run water through the coolin tubes with the radiator system for the motor. I am anxious to hear how yours works with the Neu 2230 on 12S!

Richard
Old 11-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Contributor - Baja
Baja Maniac

Radiator is getting milled here in about 2 weeks. i am going to use the RPM new rear skid plate and make a custom piece that goes where you put the exhaust. I found some quick release valves for maintenance.
There is still no watercooled cam for my motor. I think I am going to have to make one.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Baja Maniac

you guys need to post pictures please...
this is getting interesting
Old 11-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (12)
wigdowg
why do you think you will need to water cool?
My esc and motor are not even warm after running for 30 minutes.
Of course I'm only at 12s bu tI'm still pushing 30 lbs at 50 mph in the grass.
It will go much, much faster but at the moment I cant keep the front end on the ground.
Its geared f0r 80 mph........