HPIBajaForumHPIBajaForum  

Go Back   HPIBajaForum > HPI Baja Garage > HPI Baja Engine and Exhaust

Sponsors
RC Discount Search

Use HBF as the coupon code for 5% off!!!
DGI Racing
Team Phatdad RC
Axis R/C
Micro Hobby US
Turtle Racing
LSRC
Vertigo Performance
FullForceRC
ONeill Brothers
TFE
Killer-RC
Kraken RC
HPI Racing

Port filler material

Discussion in HPI Baja Engine and Exhaust forum, started by turboglenn.

Turtle Racing Products

Old 04-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (4)
Port filler material

Well, i have been out hunting all morning for the usuall stuff i use to fill combustion chambers and such and even after another product that was recomended to me for filing th port on a case reed engine. Problem is i can't find any o the ones i like or have been told to use (well there's only 2 so far)

So i ask you guys, what is something that will sithstand the heat and fuel/oil mix that i can fill the port with and wont' come apart while running the engine

I don't like JB weld but i'm taking all suggestions, but please only speak up if you've used the product INSIDE the engine or to fill the port, as suggestions of what people use on their bird baths, plumbing lins and such are plentifull, but not what i need

please help me
Old 04-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (2)
I've always used devcon titanium putty. But it is a little pricy.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Baja Maniac

ahh.. couldn't find that one, i got some devcon epoxy and a few other things to test today and when they dry i'll heat test em with an O/A torch and soak em in gas to see what holds up...

i wish i could find the plain epoxy resin i use to use but seems i cna only find stuff that "contains epoxy resin"

and most stuff is only good to 250*F
Old 04-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (10)
That is the filler of choice that the local guy
use's...He say's for the price the quality is the best
you can get.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Baja Maniac

price doesn't bother me, quality is my first concern. any local nationwide stores you guys know of that carries it>?

Gotta..you talking about the devcon titanium?
Old 04-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboglenn View Post
as suggestions of what people use on their bird baths, plumbing lins and such are plentifull, but not what i need
damn i was going to say super glue works good for fixing my sons plastic car....lol

iam just messing with you

I know you dont want to uses jb weld but read this thread

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/sh...hlight=cutting

and i think its talk about in one of my thread to i forgot the name they said to uses tho damn i hate getting old

edit - - - i found the name "masterbond"

i would assume you going to fill the intake port? if so jb weld works good i know you dont want to uses it why dont you want to use it?

Last edited by sclark; 04-07-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (10)
Why fill the intake port or tranfere area..maybe a stupid question
but I am willing to risk the insult's....
Old 04-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Baja Addict
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (0)
Ask the engine builders, pretty sure they can help you out. As far as I know, its epoxy, which is what I would use. Over here in Austria I get all my epoxy/glass/carbon stuff from a spe#*#*#*#*#*#*t store. They stock high-temp stuff too. I am sure you guys have it over there.

Checked a few sites, there are many. This one has adhesives that go to 4000 F (wow)

Epoxies and ceramic adhesives...

http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/ea_1.htm
Old 04-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Banned
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBaja View Post
Why fill the intake port or tranfere area..maybe a stupid question
but I am willing to risk the insult's....
You fill the intake port because it's unused on a reed case motor and only adds volume, and disturbs airflow if you cut a fifth port. You really wouldn't even be able to utilize extra transfers if you didn't fill the old intake port, because most of the airflow would end up in the intake passage.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Baja Maniac

Dubsak is correct, by filling it you crate an area where you can add the 5th or in my case 5th and 6th transfer ports.

I usually use a product called "epoxy resin" which is a ingredient in most epoxies, but without the extra dditives. I've used it in 1:1 engines to re-shape heads and it never let go, so i would like to use that but can't find it locally and would have to order. I've seen the ESP heads for TS reed engines and they have a grey colored material like JB weld in them but i want to know if there is anything "normal" i cna use as i don't want to wait a week just to fill the port so i cna cut the tranfers. I'm hoping to have teh engine up and running by the weekend and this is all that's holding me back.

you would shrink the transfers with epoxy in order to reshape the ports for a lower RPM engine to make great torque.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Baja Maniac

I have used Devcon on a carb when I removed the choke. Had no problems with it.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboglenn View Post
Dubsak is correct, by filling it you crate an area where you can add the 5th or in my case 5th and 6th transfer ports.

I usually use a product called "epoxy resin" which is a ingredient in most epoxies, but without the extra dditives. I've used it in 1:1 engines to re-shape heads and it never let go, so i would like to use that but can't find it locally and would have to order. I've seen the ESP heads for TS reed engines and they have a grey colored material like JB weld in them but i want to know if there is anything "normal" i cna use as i don't want to wait a week just to fill the port so i cna cut the tranfers. I'm hoping to have teh engine up and running by the weekend and this is all that's holding me back.

you would shrink the transfers with epoxy in order to reshape the ports for a lower RPM engine to make great torque.
yes you are right esp does uses jb weld the link i posted in my other post he talks about it and how he also blocks the port off,etc
Old 04-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Baja Maniac

QuikSteel Steel Reinforced Epoxy Putty . 500 F temperature resistant and bonds to all metals.
cargobluemagic.com
0r
nlsproducts.ca "tech steel"

Hope this helps

Last edited by Turbo1; 04-07-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Baja Maniac

The only products I trust in my intake manifolds/ports are the Devcon "Aluminum Putty" and "Liquid Alumimum". Both are available at Grainger supply.

EDIT: http://www.devcon.com/prodfiles/pdfs/fam_tds_107.pdf for the putty and http://www.devcon.com/prodfiles/pdfs/fam_tds_108.pdf for the liquid.

Last edited by B20C5; 04-07-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Baja Maniac

I'm using this one from Pattex:

http://www.pattex.de/Pattex-Kraft-Mi...st.2376.0.html

I was using this for few years on brake and clutch pads...