Turtle Racing
Axis R/C
ONeill Brothers
Kraken RC
HPI Racing
Micro Hobby US
Killer-RC
Team Phatdad RC
Use HBF as the coupon code for 5% off!!!

62 cc Baja 5B/5T engine??

Discussion in HPI Baja Engine and Exhaust forum, started by Anar.

Turtle Racing Products

Old 12-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (0)
62 cc Baja 5B/5T engine??

hey guys. I have seen a SKOPOD/KRD built 62 cc baja 5t engine that comes with a unique and ridiculously priced mounting kit. anyway, just wondering what some of you guys think about it?
As far as i have observed, this thing has got the card on the back side and the exhaust port at the front when we look at the installed engine from aft to fwd. so this obviously means some modifications to the air filter and carb location in the skid.
what do you think about it generally? worth the price? the engine is like 999 usd and it has to be purchased in combination with the installation kit which is like 300 usd. ??
thank you

Old 12-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Baja Maniac

62 cc engine?

hey guys. I have seen a SKOPOD/KRD built 62 cc baja 5t engine that comes with a unique and ridiculously priced mounting kit. anyway, just wondering what some of you guys think about it?
As far as i have observed, this thing has got the card on the back side and the exhaust port at the front when we look at the installed engine from aft to fwd. so this obviously means some modifications to the air filter and carb location in the skid.
what do you think about it generally? worth the price? the engine is like 999 usd and it has to be purchased in combination with the installation kit which is like 300 usd. ??
thank you
Old 12-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (19)
Don't forget you need the pipe ($200) also.

For me the jury is still out, I'd like to see it run against a 27.2 full mod. If it can run down and pass a 27 full mod then yes it's worth it. And I don't mean in the dunes, lets see this thing run on a large track or in the grass or on pavement.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (31)
dont forget the only pipe option unless you run the stock can is another 190.
lotsa torque. no i dont own one.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Baja Maniac

what's the story about the pipe? is it like a specific type of pipe also? f... sake. this things is costly i take it.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Baja Maniac

can i choose to run the stock pipe with it?
Old 12-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anar View Post
what's the story about the pipe? is it like a specific type of pipe also? f... sake. this things is costly i take it.
here is the pipe
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.6938/.f
Old 12-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Contributor - Baja
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (2)
First off let me say that I am all for the development of new and innovative products. I congratulate all that spent their time and money into the development of this engine and the modifications necessary to have it perform in the baja.

However, I feel that this turned out to be, at least in my oppinion, a misguided effort.

For one thing, the price is way too much. The engine is $1000, the conversion kit $325, and the pipe $190. Which puts you in the ballpark of $1500.

Also, from the videos I have seen, the performance is not that great. It leaves quite a bit to be desired for the price paid. Yeah it is a torque monster but is it faster than the fully modded engines already available? Does not seem like it to me.

I won't be buying one unless they fix these minor issues
Old 12-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (3)
I will just say this, I don't think people will be lining up at the door to buy this set up. Who ever has these motors in stock. They will be sitting there awhile. $1000 for a motor plus all the other parts needed. I don't think so! Not to mention the performance is not going to be all that!!! At best it will do 16 maybe 17 thousand rpms. I think I will stay with my $400 30.5.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Baja Maniac

by the time your done purchasing this setup,you'd be better off buying a spare baja.
You will also need to do some serious upgrades to your drivetrain,so more money to spend.
the running time on a tank will be very short too..you'll have to refuel more often.(a bit like a nitro car).
Old 12-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (31)
i do not know, but im guessing their is a stock can for the 62cc motor. the stock HPI type can wont work due to size i believe.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Advertiser
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
i do not know, but im guessing their is a stock can for the 62cc motor. the stock HPI type can wont work due to size i believe.
Yeah, this is the stock 62 can:
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.1715/.f

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use coupon code "hbf" for 5% off!
Follow DDM and view "Deals of the Day" on Twitter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Taking some time off
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferro View Post
I will just say this, I don't think people will be lining up at the door to buy this set up. Who ever has these motors in stock. They will be sitting there awhile. $1000 for a motor plus all the other parts needed. I don't think so! Not to mention the performance is not going to be all that!!! At best it will do 16 maybe 17 thousand rpms. I think I will stay with my $400 30.5.
I agre 110%. I dont think its a very good bang for the buck. I love my 30.5. And for that money I can have a couple different motors Long live the 30.5...
Old 12-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Banned
Baja Maniac

This engine conversion is the shit for the money. I personally saw one up close and personal and it is worth the money. This engine will take your buggy or truck to a new level of speed as soon as they get higher gearing out. For the price, and the development this is a fair price. Buy it if you can, cry about it if you can't. The current gearing for the 1/5 scale is a max at 20/54 I believe, but as soon as SKidpod or the other manufacturers come out with taller gears, this engine with higher gearing will be hitting 65+ mph on road and offroad with no delay on the power band. When I get the money, I'm throwing one in my sand T. I wouldn't recommend this set up for anything other than sand, on road or dirt drivers shouldn't get this. Just too much direct power on the drivetrain that will possibly cause more problems.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Banned
Baja Maniac

When the proper gearing come out, the 62 will beat any engine on the market.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Baja Expert
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (43)
i think those engines will be very hard to lean seize.. because they are used to being in scooters which have a lot of weight on them.. so the baja should be a breeze.
im thinking its a good deal cause they will last for a long long time. makes sence?
Old 12-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Left the Building
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (9)
Threads merged.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Baja Expert
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (7)
Initially, I was excited about this new motor comming out, but have decided to wait and see how it plays out in the performance dept. If in fact its only built for sand, then that tells me the drivetrain, amoung other parts are not designed for that much hp. From the days of my stock RTR 23 B, I have since built and run 29 and 30.5 cc's and have settled in with a stock Zen 26 2 bolt with a luna pipe. I already have enough wheel spin and don't need more. I just can't bring myself to spending that kind of coin unless it flys and then Im even more limited on where I can run it.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28.5 ron View Post
i think those engines will be very hard to lean seize.. because they are used to being in scooters which have a lot of weight on them.. so the baja should be a breeze.
im thinking its a good deal cause they will last for a long long time. makes sence?
It should last a long time for that price It should be hard to lean seize It will only do 16 to 17 Thousand RPMs at best. They should put that motor back in the rc airplane they got It from.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:02 PM
CRAFTWERKS-RC.COM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (30)
The 60's are definitely NOT for everyone, Only the power hungry who want the biggest, baddest powerplant to EVER be offered in the HPI Baja (or any 1/5 scale for that matter!)

Give it time... You will all most likely change your minds, LOL.

If any of you haven't seen it, here is my thread on my Pro 60 Baja Bug build.

I definitely spent some hard earned cash building this car and but I don't regret it one bit!
This is unlike any other RC I have EVER driven. These motors may not rev to 20k but they will get close when moddified and what they don't have in RPM's... they make up for in torque. I would say it is like comparing a a tiny 4 cyl to a small block chevy V8. Both can be modified to run and produce similar HP, but they will always be different in the way they drive. There are much bigger gears on the way but until now all the videos have been with 22/52, the biggest we could get.

Here is the most recent video footage...