HPIBajaForumHPIBajaForum  

Go Back   HPIBajaForum > HPI Baja Garage > HPI Baja Engine and Exhaust

Sponsors
RC Discount Search

HPI Racing
Killer-RC
Kraken RC
FullForceRC
Use HBF as the coupon code for 5% off!!!
Team Phatdad RC
DGI Racing
Turtle Racing
Micro Hobby US
ONeill Brothers
TFE
LSRC
Axis R/C
Vertigo Performance

turbo or supercharger 5b

Discussion in HPI Baja Engine and Exhaust forum, started by Thrainsfastbaja.

Vertigo Performance

Old 09-14-2009, 05:38 AM
Gasser

Trader Feedback: (0)
turbo or supercharger 5b

has anyone tried it,and if so what was the results. i had a rb innovations supercharger on my t-maxx and savage i had about a year ago. they worked sweet but they both drank the fuel. it cut my run time in half. let me know if someone has tried it or not.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Baja Addict
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (15)
I don't know of anyone on here trying it, but that doesn't mean nobody has tried. I can't see it being effective, or even worth the time and trouble. It's mostly a gimmick thing with these motors.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:21 AM
Gasser

thanks was just wondering
Old 09-20-2009, 06:33 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (3)
it could work, but a custom turbo would have to be made thats small enough to work on an engine as small as a baja one. it would be cool, but very expensive, an you would see more gains from a $200 exhaust pipe

but this is all speculation
Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie View Post
it could work, but a custom turbo would have to be made thats small enough to work on an engine as small as a baja one. it would be cool, but very expensive, an you would see more gains from a $200 exhaust pipe

but this is all speculation
I agree, you would need to re-design the engine for it to work effectively.

A Turbo would be hard to make on the baja engine as the exhaust and inlet are on opposite sides of the head.

A good pipe would be the best option for performance and reliability.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (3)
the intake and exhaust are on the opposite sides of the head on real engines as well. the problem is orinatation, which is front and rear instead of left and right. in order to make it work, you would need to do the turbo setup like on a front wheel drive honda engine, meaning the turbo is bolted to the exhaust side with the charge pipe feeding into the carb.

the main issues are cooling the turbo. real engines use separate oil systems that arent mixed into the petrol. so in order to make it work on a baja, you would need an onboard remote oil system with some way to cool it. its an interesting project, but would cost 2-3 times the cost of the baja itself.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Baja Maniac

The big issue with doing this kind of mod is getting everything to fit in a relatively small package. I don't think anyone makes a blow through style carb for small engines.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Baja Maniac

another problem would be the carb.. don't think the carb could handle eny breathing help.. even on real cars without injection they remake the carb to handle the pressure, don't know how though. Maybe a sort of pressure tank around the carb?

BUT, it would be soooo cool if someone made it work and believe you me, I have woundered the exact same thing
Old 09-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (4)
I've turbocharged a LOT of engines that there were no kits for in my day and in the past i've had many people into 50cc pit-bike racing come to me with the same desires...the simple fact is that engines this small simpy don't have the exhaust velocity to support spooling a turbo before the usable RPM band is alreay past and it's time to shift gears or let off. Even in the very small micro sized ballistic turbos offereb by garrett/air-research we ahve been unable to find anything that would spool before the end of the RPM band.

superchargers though have been made by small mechanical compressors (mainly from real cars using an A/C compressor) but even those are very limited in ability even on small engines.. I doubt the gain on these cars would be worth the added 20+ pounds

as for the carb... you have to pressurze it to the same levels as the manifold and sealing the bowl although not hard, i don't believe it would work on this style carb.. now you could do a draw through (which i prefer on carbed turbo engines) but again we run into many other issues before starting to worry about proper fueling

Last edited by turboglenn; 09-21-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Gasser

You would need to run a reed intake but also some sort of exhaust valve to keep the charge in the chamber. Otherwise, the majority of the charge will get blown right out the exhaust when the transfers open. How much of the hp are you willing to give up to spool up the turbo or run the supercharger?
It would be interesting to see with one of these to tinker with.
http://www.honda-engines.com/engines/gx25.htm
Old 09-21-2009, 11:18 AM
1/5th Scaler

A little idea will to bolt on the carb on the turbo like some blower's have the carb on the top of it!

But i don't think it will work on a 2 stroke engine, there are a reason you have not seen it on bikes ect.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (6)
BIG difference in installing a fore air induction on a 2 cycle with out valves and a 4 cycle with valves.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Banned
Baja Maniac

Just go with one of these

http://badboyhobby.com/inc/sdetail/276

They work extremely well.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Mayhem 5

Trader Feedback: ()
so nos will work on a 5b or5t???? been toying with idea of removing off my revo and putting on 5b..mmmmmmm??
Old 09-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Banned
Baja Maniac

Ofcourse it will.
These kits are made for 2 stroke engines.
The smaller kits made for nitro engines have a much smaller and shorter shot, but it should still work, just alittle bit less power, thats all.

Good luck

Last edited by Bad Boy Hobby; 11-27-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Banned
Baja Maniac

I've read up on this a bit too. Another problem is that the turbine in the exhaust ruins the the wave timing and acoustics of a tuned pipe. Forcing air into the carb isn't going to help unless the a tuned pipe can keep the extra fuel and air in the cylinder.

4 stroke engines don't have this problem and it's just a matter of getting more fuel air mix in the cylinder.

Another (more experimental) way would be to have a turbine or compressor work off of the rotation of the flywheel. If a belt could be fitted to the crank and spin a compressor to aid the suction of air through the air filter you could avoid the problems associated with the exhaust. As the engine rpm increases so does the airflow from the supercharger.

In any case it's a ton of time, money, and R&D work before anything beneficial could hit the market.

-Tony
Old 09-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Baja Addict
Baja Maniac

what about having an onboard lipo, runing an rc jet brushless turbine? those things are narly!!! 200+mph wind speeds! with lipo.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Banned
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (1)
One can get the turbo to work on a 2-stroke. The turbo needs to be fed from the exhaust outlet pipe so AFTER the expansion chamber. Carb needs to be pressurized model, the typical ones for Baja will get very confused when boost starts to build and are not able to meter fuel accurately anymore. Exhaust would need to be designed to be competely different. Bigger battery required to operate separate electric fuel pump (Lipo could handle this). Cylinder port timing and the piston would need to be really different from what they are now. No suitable turbo available for this engine size. Separate oil tank needed and an oil pump to lubricate the turbo bearings. Wind speeds aids but capability to build pressure "against a pulsing wall".

Get the picture?
Old 09-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Banned
Baja Maniac

There are other ways of getting more power form a 2 stroker. Eventually the stresses may damage even a strong drivetrain.

-Tony
Old 09-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Baja Addict
Baja Maniac

2stroke dont seem to need a turbo. 4strokes would get the most benifit.